News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Why Canada and the U.S. Should Merge, Eh?

Started by OttoVonBismarck, December 08, 2013, 01:36:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 08, 2013, 08:08:31 PM
On topic, the NYT has an article about the US denying entry to a Canadian woman travelling to Florida to board a cruise ship, on the grounds that she had been diagnosed with depression and tried to commit suicide, and therefore presented a threat to others.

How did they know she'd been diagnosed?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ed Anger

Quote from: PDH on December 08, 2013, 09:18:21 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on December 08, 2013, 06:27:10 PM
The problem with Canada is that it is full of Canadians.

See, everybody but you overlooks the real problem here.

I have a knack for these things.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

dps

Quote from: Berkut on December 08, 2013, 09:15:00 PM
What would be some practical steps towards greater integration that could actually happen and be meaningul?

1. Obviously opening up the border is a no-brainer.

Sure.

Quote2. Have the US fully adopt the metric system.

Fuck No!

Quote3. Trade and business should be largely unfettered. Some issues here with taxes and such though - we don't want US areas trying to lure Canadian businesses away with tax deals, for example. How to handle that?

Since some areas of the US already try to lure businesses there form other parts of the US, why not?  And Canadian areas could presumably try the same tactic.

Quote4. Common currency.

Gotta think on this one.

Quote5. Jettison Quebec.

If only it could literally be jettisonned into the Atlantic.

Valmy

Quote from: dps on December 08, 2013, 10:42:18 PM
Quote2. Have the US fully adopt the metric system.

Fuck No!

Eh we pretty much already have.  Anybody who uses measurements professionally uses the metric system.  Only amateurs use the English system for anything, it being a horrible system and all.

I mean I have used it all my life and I still am like 'ok how many cups in how many quarts and how many pints and how many gallons?' 'how many feet in a mile again?'  I mean fuck that shit.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Just imagine you're driving through west Texas and the signs on the interstate say 400 kilometers to the next podunk town. 200 miles is bad enough.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 09, 2013, 01:16:44 AM
Just imagine you're driving through west Texas and the signs on the interstate say 400 kilometers to the next podunk town. 200 miles is bad enough.

One of the weirdest moments of my driving life was driving along I-10 home and I passed the sign saying 'Welcome to Texas' and I was like 'alright!  Back in the home state!'.

Next sign: '550 miles to San Antonio' FUCK

Think how much more awesome it would be to have it say like 900 Km to San Antonio?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

PRC

Quote from: garbon on December 08, 2013, 09:26:34 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 08, 2013, 08:08:31 PM
On topic, the NYT has an article about the US denying entry to a Canadian woman travelling to Florida to board a cruise ship, on the grounds that she had been diagnosed with depression and tried to commit suicide, and therefore presented a threat to others.

How did they know she'd been diagnosed?

Edward Snowden.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Valmy on December 09, 2013, 01:44:22 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 09, 2013, 01:16:44 AM

One of the weirdest moments of my driving life was driving along I-10 home and I passed the sign saying 'Welcome to Texas' and I was like 'alright!  Back in the home state!'.

Next sign: '550 miles to San Antonio' FUCK

Think how much more awesome it would be to have it say like 900 Km to San Antonio?

At least you can do 80 on that highway now (I averaged closer to 90).

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Valmy on December 09, 2013, 12:29:02 AMEh we pretty much already have.  Anybody who uses measurements professionally uses the metric system.  Only amateurs use the English system for anything, it being a horrible system and all.

I mean I have used it all my life and I still am like 'ok how many cups in how many quarts and how many pints and how many gallons?' 'how many feet in a mile again?'  I mean fuck that shit.

That's one of those hits against the customary system that isn't really valid. Anyone that actually needs to know that information, absolutely does. Remembering how to convert cups to quarts to pints to gallons is honestly something a fifth grade could do (and does), and I assure you any professional baker or chef in the United States can probably help you with it.

Lots of contractors and people in the construction trade also use the standard measurement system professionally. In fact it's one of the areas where a base 10 system isn't necessarily any easier because it's not realistic to be dividing by ten all the time on a real job, and when you start needing to cut a six foot 2 x 4 into thirds or fourths the metric system is no more friendly with its measures than the customary system and arguably it is less friendly.

Grey Fox

That's what Valmy saying, any professional baker or chef is using metrics.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Berkut

Blah blah blah blah blah.

Listening to someone argue that the metric system isn't really better is like listening to someone argue that people really did ride dinosaurs, or that the moon landings never happened, or any other pseudo-science BS.

It doesn't even rate an actual argument in response anymore.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

derspiess

It may be better.  But I'm not convinced it's that much better to be worth the trouble of making the switch.

An added benefit is that it annoys the Euros.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 09, 2013, 10:26:43 AM
That's what Valmy saying, any professional baker or chef is using metrics.

No, in the United States I'd suspect they're still using cups/ounces. I do watch cooking shows, and I've never heard them use anything but customary terms.

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on December 09, 2013, 10:27:56 AM
Blah blah blah blah blah.

Listening to someone argue that the metric system isn't really better is like listening to someone argue that people really did ride dinosaurs, or that the moon landings never happened, or any other pseudo-science BS.

It doesn't even rate an actual argument in response anymore.
Blah, blah, blah.  Listening to someone with a dogma, who is thus inclined to be dogmatic on a topic, like you on this one, is like listening to a fire-and-brimstone preacher.  It doesn't convince, but it sure is amusing.  "Better" is in the eye of the beholder.

The metric system is easier to learn, and better for complex calculations.  The imperial system is better for the everyday stuff, because it is based in the human body.  The future is in the metric system without question, because its advantages are more future proof.  That doesn't make it "better" for everyone, though.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!