Main Menu

Nelson Mandela RIP

Started by Sheilbh, December 05, 2013, 05:07:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

Only by his woman was he understood
Nelson Mandela was Shaft?
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

HVC

Quote from: Queequeg on December 05, 2013, 05:51:10 PM
Only by his woman was he understood
Nelson Mandela was Shaft?
shut your mouth
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Neil

He worked hard advancing the cause of his people.  He deserves his rest.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Habbaku

He had some serious missteps in his life, but eventually came around to promoting peace and understanding with everyone and malice towards none.  Good in my book.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

fhdz

Quote from: Habbaku on December 05, 2013, 08:31:51 PM
He had some serious missteps in his life, but eventually came around to promoting peace and understanding with everyone and malice towards none.  Good in my book.

When I'm 95, I sure wouldn't want anyone holding me steadfastly to the stupid things I did when I was a mere kid.

Rest in peace, Nelson. A perfect life isn't the goal; a perfect conclusion just might be.

Nota bene: my dad died in his sleep in his early sixties. I'm not likely to make 95.
and the horse you rode in on

Admiral Yi

What are these indiscretions y'all are referring to?

dps

Quote from: Habbaku on December 05, 2013, 08:31:51 PM

Yep.

fhdz

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 05, 2013, 09:13:22 PM

He co-founded the militant wing of the ANC, which bombed a bunch of government targets in the 60s.
and the horse you rode in on

Razgovory

I'm honestly surprised you forgot.  You're older then me, you must have remembered what people were saying in the 1980's.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

PDH

The thing is, I am not sure they were serious missteps.  He had a militant period, but it seems pretty clear he was fighting injustice and tyranny.  When it came time to make peace, he not only did so, he worked hard to include even those who worked on the side of injustice.  The measure of the man is not that he might have fought when it was time to fight, but that he was willing to forgive when it was time to forgive.  South Africa is not Zimbabwe for a reason, and I think that is the legacy of Mandela.  Now let's see if others can live up to that.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

11B4V

Quote from: fhdz on December 05, 2013, 09:20:53 PM

He co-founded the militant wing of the ANC, which bombed a bunch of government targets in the 60s.
*Shrug*
Menachem Begin was a terrorist/freedom fighter and he was awarded the Noble for peace.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

The Brain

He spent a lot of time in gaol.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Besides the whole "he was a commie-sympathizing terrorist in the 60s" bit (which is very true)...

As President he was completely inactive on HIV in SA, despite pretty strong evidence, which led to his successor following along the same course.

Plus there was the pretty complex relationship with Winnie, who had her own issues.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: PDH on December 05, 2013, 10:03:33 PM
The thing is, I am not sure they were serious missteps.  He had a militant period, but it seems pretty clear he was fighting injustice and tyranny.  When it came time to make peace, he not only did so, he worked hard to include even those who worked on the side of injustice.  The measure of the man is not that he might have fought when it was time to fight, but that he was willing to forgive when it was time to forgive.  South Africa is not Zimbabwe for a reason, and I think that is the legacy of Mandela.  Now let's see if others can live up to that.
Very well said. :cheers:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

mongers

Just copying a tweet a news reporter sent, about Peter Tatchell's assessment of Mandela:

Peter Tatchell: Mandela ranks alongside Ghandi, but got it wrong on HIV, poverty + Mugabe
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"