Applebees and Chili's replacing waiters with Tablet PCs

Started by jimmy olsen, December 04, 2013, 09:57:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OttoVonBismarck

Applebee's indeed has to be the worst major casual dining chain, almost everyone I've ever spoken to dislikes it. Even worse, and I can eat at fairly mediocre places when this isn't true, they mostly have shitty beer and anything made with spirits might as well be kool-aid.

BW3 actually has bad food (maybe worse than Applebee's since they basically make wings with everything else an afterthought and their wings are worse than cheap pizza chain wings) but the fact they always have a decent beer selection means BW3 is indeed one of my "travel restaurants" if I'm away from a major city or even just stranded out by an airport or something.

Applebee's and Chili's both sort of exist at the bottom rung of this type of restaurant. Above them I'd put Ruby Tuesday which isn't great but isn't awful, Olive Garden and Red Lobster which are the same, and then some actually decent casual chains like Longhorn Steakhouse, IHOP, Waffle House, O'Charley's etc.

I think I put Waffle House / IHOP in the "decent" category because they specialize in lower brow food but execute it really well. It's nothing fancy but in all reality some foods don't really get done well by chains at all, but waffles, pancakes, omelettes etc are pretty easily done very well by a big chain restaurant.

frunk

What I've noticed is that despite attempts to homogenize all of the product from a given chain, there's still variety in how good a restaurant is from location to location.  Our local IHOPs are terrible, but I liked them in Indiana and Ohio.  Applebee's, Chili's and TGIF are generally lousy, but occasionally I'll hit an ok one.  I like BWW primarily because they're one of the few chains that have genuinely hot sauces, although I'm annoyed that they stopped free refills on their now way overpriced non-alcoholic non-soda drinks.

derspiess

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on December 05, 2013, 05:42:27 PM
BW3 actually has bad food (maybe worse than Applebee's since they basically make wings with everything else an afterthought and their wings are worse than cheap pizza chain wings) but the fact they always have a decent beer selection means BW3 is indeed one of my "travel restaurants" if I'm away from a major city or even just stranded out by an airport or something.

The new B-dubs that opened up near me has a pretty boring draft beer selection.  Best thing they had last time I was there was Sam Adams.  They ought to at least dedicate one tap to a local beer.

And their carribbean jerk (grilled) chicken sandwich is pretty decent.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Neil

I ate at an IHOP in California.  The food wasn't bad, but the portion size was ridiculous.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 05, 2013, 03:19:09 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 05, 2013, 03:02:09 PM
He didn't say ALL jobs have to go.

You're right: according to Seedy the optimal amount of labor is a single employee.  :P

"Yup...not too much longer, and before you know it, technology and profit maximization will ensure that the entire McDonald's corporate landscape will be reduced to the point that it will only be CEO Donald Thompson and a single employee at each restaurant.  Subcontractor, of course."

Your Jew kung fu is very powerful but I think my Jesuit kung fu can defeat it.  :ph34r:

It's no longer Jesuit Kung Fu when you turn to the dark side.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on December 05, 2013, 05:42:27 PM
Applebee's and Chili's both sort of exist at the bottom rung of this type of restaurant. Above them I'd put Ruby Tuesday which isn't great but isn't awful, Olive Garden and Red Lobster which are the same, and then some actually decent casual chains like Longhorn Steakhouse, IHOP, Waffle House, O'Charley's etc.

Chili's isn't that bad, I'd hardly rate it below Olive Garden and Waffle House. I don't go there much though, as you can get just as good a burger from Five Guys for half the price.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

sbr

Ed Anger

Quote from: sbr on December 05, 2013, 07:07:57 PM
I kind of like Olive Garden.  :Embarrass:

You stuff the unlimited breadsticks in your pockets, don't you?
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 05, 2013, 03:19:09 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 05, 2013, 03:02:09 PM
He didn't say ALL jobs have to go.

You're right: according to Seedy the optimal amount of labor is a single employee.  :P

"Yup...not too much longer, and before you know it, technology and profit maximization will ensure that the entire McDonald's corporate landscape will be reduced to the point that it will only be CEO Donald Thompson and a single employee at each restaurant.  Subcontractor, of course."

Your Jew kung fu is very powerful but I think my Jesuit kung fu can defeat it.  :ph34r:

Only because you decide to battle over what Seedy said, rather than the substantive point Joan made.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on December 05, 2013, 07:32:20 PM
Only because you decide to battle over what Seedy said, rather than the substantive point Joan made.

Nope.  I agreed with his substantive point.  If I say the capital of Australia is Canberra, and you don't take exception, has my Jesuit Kung Fu defeated your Mermaid Kung Fu?  Of course it hasn't.

The issue was the relationship between his point and Seedy's screed.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: frunk on December 05, 2013, 05:59:51 PM
What I've noticed is that despite attempts to homogenize all of the product from a given chain, there's still variety in how good a restaurant is from location to location.  Our local IHOPs are terrible, but I liked them in Indiana and Ohio.  Applebee's, Chili's and TGIF are generally lousy, but occasionally I'll hit an ok one.  I like BWW primarily because they're one of the few chains that have genuinely hot sauces, although I'm annoyed that they stopped free refills on their now way overpriced non-alcoholic non-soda drinks.
At least in my experience TGIF is way better than Applebees or Chili's
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

fhdz

Quote from: grumbler on December 05, 2013, 10:43:25 AM
Quote from: fhdz on December 05, 2013, 10:01:08 AM
Quote from: grumbler on December 05, 2013, 07:04:43 AM
For the last few years, two of my favorite restaurants in Ann Arbor have used tablets rather than menus.

Did you notice whether their wait staff levels stayed the same, declined slightly, or declined significantly?
They stayed pretty much the same, since they were pretty much doing the same job.

:yes: Makes sense to me.
and the horse you rode in on