News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

How Much Auto Insurance Do You Carry?

Started by Admiral Yi, December 03, 2013, 11:16:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Bought some insurance today, as my mom passed title of her car to me.  I had not bought insurance in decades.  In the past I had always just got the state-mandated minimum liability, but the place i went to said the minimum they sold was 100,000/200,000/100,000. (Iowa minimum is 20K/40K/20K).

I passed on the comprehensive and the collision.  I figure cars don't get stolen in Iowa and I've never cracked up a car in my life.  Good move?  Bad move?

garbon

So are you just rocking liability?

Doesn't comprehensive cover more than just theft?

Oh and are there not other insurance companies to check out?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

katmai

Bodily Injury Liability
Current Limit: $50,000/$100,000

Property Damage Liability
Current Limit: $25,000

Uninsured Motorist & Underinsured Motorist
Current Limit: $50,000/$100,000

Uninsured Motorist & Underinsured Motorist Property Damage
Current Limit: $25,000
Current Deductible: $250 Ded.

That is lowest i can go.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 03, 2013, 11:16:42 PM
Bought some insurance today, as my mom passed title of her car to me.  I had not bought insurance in decades.  In the past I had always just got the state-mandated minimum liability, but the place i went to said the minimum they sold was 100,000/200,000/100,000. (Iowa minimum is 20K/40K/20K).

I passed on the comprehensive and the collision.  I figure cars don't get stolen in Iowa and I've never cracked up a car in my life.  Good move?  Bad move?
How much is the car worth?  How much would comprehensive and collision add to your premiums?  Did you check Geico or Progressive?

Eddie Teach

He should get Allstate, because Dennis Haysbert is more trustworthy than Flo or the gecko.  ;)
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

I hate Flo and am so sad to support them.

Geico has several different ad campaigns running at once and somehow I also hate all of them.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

You're going to pass on saving up to 15% or more on your car insurance?

garbon

DGuller

garbon

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 03, 2013, 11:16:42 PM

Collision and comprehensive - depends what your car is worth, and how easily you could replace it if it was in an accident or stolen.  You're driving a $3k beater, I'd pass too.

Liability though... wow.  I think the minimum is $200k (goggle - confirmed).  Working in insurance defence a decade ago it isn't all that hard to go over that amount at all.  I think I'm rocking $2 mil liability because it really didn''t cost that much more - maybe $20 or $50 for the year.

But then I'm also the guy who went out and bought liability insurance for his wedding.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ideologue

I have SC's minimum coverage.

It is not $200k.  If someone has been inflicted with $2 million in damages, probably best the paramedics snap their necks as painlessly as possible.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Barrister

Quote from: Ideologue on December 04, 2013, 12:59:25 AM
I have SC's minimum coverage.

It is not $200k.  If someone has been inflicted with $2 million in damages, probably best the paramedics snap their necks as painlessly as possible.

Lost wages is what can render liability through the roof.  If you can convince a judge that you're unable to work as a result of an accident, then you're good for their salary for the next 20+ years.  That can easily exceed a mil.

And by the way, I've got an old friend who, if he had been hit by another driver, instead of a moose, would have received a multi-million settlement since he became a quadriplegic.  He would very much disagree with your opinion.  (and he was a big, big fan of Manitoba's no-fault auto accident plan for that very reason)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on December 03, 2013, 11:36:04 PM
How much is the car worth?  How much would comprehensive and collision add to your premiums?  Did you check Geico or Progressive?

Car is worth 7-9.  State Farm was asking $10/month for comp and $26/month for collision.

Checked Geico and Progressive, they were nowhere close to the price i ended up getting.