News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ukraine's European Revolution?

Started by Sheilbh, December 03, 2013, 07:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I trust that isn't an exhaustive list of flaws.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Viking

Quote from: Barrister on May 04, 2014, 06:36:50 PM

I've bolded the flawed portion of your reasoning.  This tension is entirely russian-based.  There is virtually no evidence to support this being a natural popular response, and every evidence that it is russian provocateurs.

Agree, here, what was happening in ukraine was the normal fucked up shit that normally happens there. What brought this to a head was a failed attempt by russia to purchase influence with it's loan guarantee.  That pretty much de-legitimized a large section of the russia leaning part of the political spectrum. The political violence from Berkut certainly just made it worse. It's when the russia friendly side of ukrainian politics abandoned the russian preferred candidate that russia intervened.

Putin lost Ukraine and is either trying to force Ukraine to behave better or to get what he can out of it and of course boost his nationalist credentials at home.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

mongers

Quote from: Viking on May 04, 2014, 07:32:22 PM

I've bolded the flawed portion of your reasoning.  This tension is entirely russian-based.  There is virtually no evidence to support this being a natural popular response, and every evidence that it is russian provocateurs.

Agree, here, what was happening in ukraine was the normal fucked up shit that normally happens there. What brought this to a head was a failed attempt by russia to purchase influence with it's loan guarantee. That pretty much de-legitimized a large section of the russia leaning part of the political spectrum. The political violence from Berkut certainly just made it worse. It's when the russia friendly side of ukrainian politics abandoned the russian preferred candidate that russia intervened.

Putin lost Ukraine and is either trying to force Ukraine to behave better or to get what he can out of it and of course boost his nationalist credentials at home.

:hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

DGuller

Quote from: Queequeg on May 04, 2014, 02:51:49 PM
I'm pro-Russian in that I like Russia and want it to be a normal country with roads and schools and companies that isn't psychotically trying to Frankenstein the USSR.
Russia has only two possible conditions:  humbled and aggressive.  In either case they will be their own biggest enemy in everyday life, so keep dreaming that your ideal will ever be achieved.

Razgovory

Well the Germans eventually got over that.  Course we had to beat the ever living shit out of them a couple of times.

I find it disturbing how many people buy into Moscow's Propaganda.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on May 04, 2014, 10:11:08 PM
Well the Germans eventually got over that.  Course we had to beat the ever living shit out of them a couple of times.
Too bad Russia has the nukes, and plenty of trained sociopaths with every semblance of soul bleached out of them with the finger on the button.

Razgovory

Grinning_Colossus

Quote from: DGuller on May 04, 2014, 09:50:46 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on May 04, 2014, 02:51:49 PM
I'm pro-Russian in that I like Russia and want it to be a normal country with roads and schools and companies that isn't psychotically trying to Frankenstein the USSR.
Russia has only two possible conditions:  humbled and aggressive.  In either case they will be their own biggest enemy in everyday life, so keep dreaming that your ideal will ever be achieved.

There's a fleeting intermediate condition, run-by-the-left-liberal-intelligentsia-and-profoundly-unstable, that provides glimpses of what Russia could be like as a normal country.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Queequeg

Quote from: DGuller on May 04, 2014, 10:13:09 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 04, 2014, 10:11:08 PM
Too bad Russia has the nukes, and plenty of trained sociopaths with every semblance of soul bleached out of them with the finger on the button.
China got out of crazy. Russia can.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Viking

Quote from: mongers on May 04, 2014, 07:36:25 PM
Quote from: Viking on May 04, 2014, 07:32:22 PM

Agree, here, what was happening in ukraine was the normal fucked up shit that normally happens there. What brought this to a head was a failed attempt by russia to purchase influence with it's loan guarantee. That pretty much de-legitimized a large section of the russia leaning part of the political spectrum. The political violence from Berkut certainly just made it worse. It's when the russia friendly side of ukrainian politics abandoned the russian preferred candidate that russia intervened.

:hmm:

Yes, Janukovich's party helped vote him out and voted in the new government. He fell because his own people abandoned him.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Syt

So, what are the odds for a major escalation between the Victory Day parades in Russia this coming Friday and the election in Ukraine on the 25th? I was guessing that Russia would keep things simmering, maybe slightly escalating until mid-May:
1. It seems inopportune to launch a "peace keeping mission" over Easter (which is huge in Orthodox church).
2. It also seems unlikely to do so before the Victory Day parades where you can celebrate your past victories and resurgent strength before actually putting it to the test.
3. In May there's less chance of the terrain in Ukraine turning to mud from spring weather.

And then, when the country is bogged down in violence, they can ride in as the preservers of the peace.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Also, didn't the People's Republic of Donetsk want to hold a referendum on independence on the 11th? If the fighting continues, it gives Russia a great pretext to come to aid them in order to ensure that the democratic voice of the people will be heard.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DGuller

Quote from: Queequeg on May 05, 2014, 02:28:51 AM
I don't see the similarities.  Chinese insanity was imposed from the top down.  Russian insanity is there at the grassroots, Putin is merely tapping into it.

Ed Anger

Quote from: DGuller on May 05, 2014, 07:02:39 AM
I don't see the similarities.  Chinese insanity was imposed from the top down.  Russian insanity is there at the grassroots, Putin is merely tapping into it.

You feeling a bit nutty DG? Since it is ingrained as you say.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DGuller

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 05, 2014, 07:32:44 AM
Quote from: DGuller on May 05, 2014, 07:02:39 AM

You feeling a bit nutty DG? Since it is ingrained as you say.
:mad: I'm not Russian.