Main Menu

Ukraine's European Revolution?

Started by Sheilbh, December 03, 2013, 07:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Let's see what card Vlad plays next.

Solmyr

Quote from: Tamas on April 07, 2014, 06:12:55 AM
Aren't the Russians a minority there, even if a pretty big one? What's up with the Ukrainians there? Have they also believed the crap about doubling their pensions in Russia and remaining silent?

Nope, Russians are a majority there.

Admiral Yi

According to the Economist map someone posted way back, Crimea is the only province/vilayet/whatever with a majority Russian population.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 07, 2014, 12:00:53 PM
According to the Economist map someone posted way back, Crimea is the only province/vilayet/whatever with a majority Russian population.

It gets confusing because you have lots of people who speak Russian flawlessly who may or may not identify as being "Russian".
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

It appears that while it may look like it on the map, the Ukrainian bits are relatively sparsely populated, while the Russian dots are major cities. Think NYC vs. upstate NY.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

PJL

Quote from: Syt on April 07, 2014, 12:27:33 PM

It appears that while it may look like it on the map, the Ukrainian bits are relatively sparsely populated, while the Russian dots are major cities. Think NYC vs. upstate NY.

Here's a population map of Ukraine which gives a better weighting of who lives where. It does indicate that the main population areas in the South & East are indeed Russian speaking:

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Admiral Yi

You win the most confusing map competition.  :lol:

mongers

Personally, I blame the Soviets.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Malthus

Quote from: PJL on April 07, 2014, 12:38:37 PM
Quote from: Syt on April 07, 2014, 12:27:33 PM

Here's a population map of Ukraine which gives a better weighting of who lives where. It does indicate that the main population areas in the South & East are indeed Russian speaking:

I have literally no idea what this map indicates.  :lol: You could just as easily say "Here's a map of Ukraine which indicates Lovecraftian rifts in the time-space continnum".  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

It tells you the big cities are big.  But itself it doesn't tell me much about where the Russian-speakers are.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

mongers

Quote from: Malthus on April 07, 2014, 02:07:39 PM

I have literally no idea what this map indicates.  :lol: You could just as easily say "Here's a map of Ukraine which indicates Lovecraftian rifts in the time-space continnum".  ;)

Yeah this other from the same website, about Ukrainian, is far more explicable:

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Tonitrus

If that we're from a Rorschach test, I'd say its a vagina.

Syt

http://en.itar-tass.com/world/727019

Yay Jobbik!

QuoteRussia protects traditional European values alone - Hungarian lawmaker

STRASBOURG, April 08, /ITAR-TASS/. Russia is supporting and defending traditional European values absolutely alone, including in what concerns Crimea and Ukraine, Tamas Gaudi-Nagy, a Hungarian member of the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe (PACE), told Itar-Tass on Tuesday, commenting on a report on the situation in Ukraine due to be discussed at PACE on April 9.

"Today, it might sound funnily enough for many so-called democrats, but the only guarantor of the protection of human right in the entire European space is mostly, or, if you will, only Russia," he said. "Russia is supporting and protecting traditional European values. Here, in the Council of Europe, we are having much debate on such traditional human rights subjects as the protection of the institute of marriage, children, minorities. Of course, from the democratic point of view, Russia also has problems. Any country has problems anyway. I think these double standards came into being because the United States and all its allies sought to expand this global monopolized market and to have Ukraine a new member of this market."

The Hungarian lawmaker said he was confident that "double standards dominate the so-called values of the Council of Europe and in all other European institutions." "The irony is that they all are speaking about human rights and democracy but they are unable to follow the right course to solve concrete problems," Gaudi-Nagy said.

Many Western lawmakers at the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe, in his words, gave Russia a broadside "when it did only one thing - protected the right to self-determination, which is a basic principle of international law and is guaranteed by the United Nations Charter." "Crimea is populated mostly by ethnic Russians," he noted. "At the referendum, people took a decision which country they wanted to a part of. This is guaranteed by Article 1 of the United Nations Charter of Economic Rights and Duties of States. Of course, we are now witnessing what is going on in Ukraine's eastern regions, in Donetsk. We can say that the Russian-speaking population of these regions is facing serious threats. I think their fears must be clear. A strong state, many of whose compatriots are living abroad, needs certain security guarantees."

Gaudi-Nagy expressed confidence that Russia's possible expulsion from the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe or even from the Council of Europe "would be of no help for Ukraine," moreover, it would only weaken the positions of those countries of the Council of Europe that were committed to the idea of the protection of traditional European values. "I hope that members of the Parliamentary Assembly would reflect on this and would not impose sanctions against Russia, because this is not the case when sanctions are appropriate," he added.

According to the Hungarian lawmaker, the Council of Europe "has no serious indicators to change the current situation." "All the processes, any reaction prove that hidden political players, who are not seen here, are exerting a really active influence on decision-makers. They are the so-called countries of the West. I think that normal people, patriots in Western countries, in France or Germany, do not share this position of double standards, which is obvious in Kiev. And these people deserve to be furnished with objective information about what is going on here, at the Council of Europe and other European organizations, on their behalf," he summed up.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Tamas