Ukraine's European Revolution?

Started by Sheilbh, December 03, 2013, 07:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solmyr

Quote from: celedhring on March 26, 2014, 10:53:49 AM
Quote from: Solmyr on March 26, 2014, 10:32:57 AM
Quote from: celedhring on March 26, 2014, 10:16:53 AM
Quote from: derspiess on March 26, 2014, 08:31:25 AM
Hey guys, I heard that Right Sector dude got whacked.  Anybody got an article or  link to post?

First time I hear about that. Hope somebody posts an article.

http://lenta.ru/articles/2014/03/25/beliy/

:P

You know, I'd love to understand that article to see the spin they put on it, since Russia has been accusing the Ukranian government of being in the pocket of Right Sector so they could pogrom all the Russians in the east.

Lenta.ru has usually been quite fair in its coverage, though that may change now. The previous chief editor was fired a couple of weeks ago over an interview she did with a Right Sector member, and her replacement is pro-Kremlin.

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/comment/2014/03/vladimir-putin-press-censorship-galina-timchenko.html

derspiess

Still think the Tatars have nothing to fear in Crimea, Queenqueg?

http://www.interpretermag.com/ukraine-liveblog-day-37-russian-troops-on-the-move/

Quote1545 GMT: The Interpreter's managing editor has interviewed Ayla Bakkalli, the U.S. representative for the Crimean Tatar Mejlis. Bakkalli warns that Russia has already taken steps tp isolate Crimea's Tatar population, and that an even worse fate could soon unfurl. But will Tatar's face the "Chechnya scenario"?
Already, the pro-Russian camp has made ominous moves, prompting sympathetic European countries such as Lithuania to prepare for another Tatar refugee crisis. About 20 people have been kidnapped in Crimea since Russia invaded. Three are still missing, including Ivan Selentsov, a Tatar. Another Tatar activist, Reshat Ametov, was discovered murdered in a forest after last being seen in the hands of a pro-Russian militia. Dzhalil Ibrahimov told the Guardian that these militias "have started to burn fires near the village at night, so we know they are there and they are close." Then, on March 20, a tocsin for Tatar ethnic cleansing was rung by none other than Rustam Termigaliyev: "We have asked the Crimean Tatars to vacate part of their land, which is required for social needs," the Crimean vice premier said. "But we are ready to allocate and legalize many other plots of land to ensure a normal life for the Crimean Tatars."

A normal life, or "normalization" in the Soviet sense? Either way, Bakkalli is terrified. "Another genocide has started already," she said. "The groundwork has been laid. They're grabbing land, they're expelling people, and they painting Xs on the homes of the Tatars to mark them out as fifth columnists. Do you understand how chilling that is for us?"

There are reports that Tatar men are relocating their families abroad and returning to the peninsula solo. I ask Bakkalli whether this suggests that they intend to take up arms and fight back, perhaps forming their own self-defense militias. "That is correct," she replies. "They're worried about their parents, their grandparents, their wives, and their children. They feel much more mobility and freedom when they're by themselves. And they will not let Crimea go." The Kurultay is going to "recalibrate" in the coming weeks, Bakkalli says, and determine its response to Russia's seizure.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

celedhring

Quote from: Solmyr on March 26, 2014, 11:41:35 AM
Quote from: celedhring on March 26, 2014, 10:53:49 AM
Quote from: Solmyr on March 26, 2014, 10:32:57 AM
Quote from: celedhring on March 26, 2014, 10:16:53 AM
Quote from: derspiess on March 26, 2014, 08:31:25 AM
Hey guys, I heard that Right Sector dude got whacked.  Anybody got an article or  link to post?

First time I hear about that. Hope somebody posts an article.

http://lenta.ru/articles/2014/03/25/beliy/

:P

You know, I'd love to understand that article to see the spin they put on it, since Russia has been accusing the Ukranian government of being in the pocket of Right Sector so they could pogrom all the Russians in the east.

Lenta.ru has usually been quite fair in its coverage, though that may change now. The previous chief editor was fired a couple of weeks ago over an interview she did with a Right Sector member, and her replacement is pro-Kremlin.

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/comment/2014/03/vladimir-putin-press-censorship-galina-timchenko.html

The translation that derspiess provided looks pretty balanced actually. Reports on the known facts or suspected facts, gives sources, attempts to describe the whole situation, no spin that I can find.

Tamas

Quote from: derspiess on March 26, 2014, 11:53:43 AM

http://www.interpretermag.com/ukraine-liveblog-day-37-russian-troops-on-the-move/

Quote1545 GMT: The Interpreter's managing editor has interviewed Ayla Bakkalli, the U.S. representative for the Crimean Tatar Mejlis. Bakkalli warns that Russia has already taken steps tp isolate Crimea's Tatar population, and that an even worse fate could soon unfurl. But will Tatar's face the "Chechnya scenario"?
Already, the pro-Russian camp has made ominous moves, prompting sympathetic European countries such as Lithuania to prepare for another Tatar refugee crisis. About 20 people have been kidnapped in Crimea since Russia invaded. Three are still missing, including Ivan Selentsov, a Tatar. Another Tatar activist, Reshat Ametov, was discovered murdered in a forest after last being seen in the hands of a pro-Russian militia. Dzhalil Ibrahimov told the Guardian that these militias "have started to burn fires near the village at night, so we know they are there and they are close." Then, on March 20, a tocsin for Tatar ethnic cleansing was rung by none other than Rustam Termigaliyev: "We have asked the Crimean Tatars to vacate part of their land, which is required for social needs," the Crimean vice premier said. "But we are ready to allocate and legalize many other plots of land to ensure a normal life for the Crimean Tatars."

A normal life, or "normalization" in the Soviet sense? Either way, Bakkalli is terrified. "Another genocide has started already," she said. "The groundwork has been laid. They're grabbing land, they're expelling people, and they painting Xs on the homes of the Tatars to mark them out as fifth columnists. Do you understand how chilling that is for us?"

There are reports that Tatar men are relocating their families abroad and returning to the peninsula solo. I ask Bakkalli whether this suggests that they intend to take up arms and fight back, perhaps forming their own self-defense militias. "That is correct," she replies. "They're worried about their parents, their grandparents, their wives, and their children. They feel much more mobility and freedom when they're by themselves. And they will not let Crimea go." The Kurultay is going to "recalibrate" in the coming weeks, Bakkalli says, and determine its response to Russia's seizure.

It's ok. Those lands could never be turned into Krakow.

Syt

Quote from: derspiess on March 26, 2014, 11:53:43 AM

Dude, that's been posted like ten pages ago. I think Spellus even commented on it.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

derspiess

Quote from: Syt on March 26, 2014, 12:38:26 PM
Dude, that's been posted like ten pages ago. I think Spellus even commented on it.

This is an update.  And whatever comments he had were insufficient.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Queequeg

Well I don't really know what is going to happen with the Crimean Tatars.  It's a weird, complicated situation that I don't know a whole lot about.  Ethnic relations between Russians and eastern Tatars are generally okay, though as mentioned previously in the thread the Crimeans were targeted by Stalin just like the Chechens and certain other questionable minorities. 

I think the possibility of pressure from Turkey will eventually help to make sure that there isn't any kind of large-scale pogrom, though it is entirely likely that the Russian takeover is allowing for previously suppressed Russian ethnic chauvinism to rear its ugly head.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

derspiess

Quote from: Queequeg on March 26, 2014, 02:17:53 PM
Well I don't really know what is going to happen with the Crimean Tatars.  It's a weird, complicated situation that I don't know a whole lot about.

When a small ethnic minority in that part of the world expresses a lot of fear, I tend to give them the benefit of the doubt.

QuoteEthnic relations between Russians and eastern Tatars are generally okay,

That seems to be changing.  Can't find the article right now, but I read something that indicated non-Crimean Tatars were pretty dissatisfied, and that pre-dated the Crimea referendum.

Queequeg

QuoteWhen a small ethnic minority in that part of the world expresses a lot of fear, I tend to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Serbs in Kosovo?  They live with pogroms and mass Church burnngs every few years but the West doesn't do much.  It is worth remembering that this is Eastern Europe.  Everyone suspects everyone else of trying to commit some kind of genocide somewhere. 

QuoteThat seems to be changing.  Can't find the article right now, but I read something that indicated non-Crimean Tatars were pretty dissatisfied, and that pre-dated the Crimea referendum.
Link?
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on March 26, 2014, 02:27:54 PM

When a small ethnic minority in that part of the world expresses a lot of fear, I tend to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Shame you don't do the same for them over here.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

If ever there was a people who deserved genocide, the Serbs would be it.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

derspiess

Quote from: Queequeg on March 26, 2014, 02:30:02 PM
Serbs in Kosovo?  They live with pogroms and mass Church burnngs every few years but the West doesn't do much.  It is worth remembering that this is Eastern Europe.

Sure, why not.

QuoteEveryone suspects everyone else of trying to commit some kind of genocide somewhere.

With some justification.

Link?

I SAID I CAN'T FIND THE ARTICLE RIGHT NOW.  But I'll post it if I can find it :)

derspiess

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on March 26, 2014, 03:17:17 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 26, 2014, 02:51:36 PM
Shame you don't do the same for them over here.

:rolleyes:

Don't roll your eyes at me.  I'm skeptical of you and Tamas' new found concern over the fate of Muslims.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017