News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ukraine's European Revolution?

Started by Sheilbh, December 03, 2013, 07:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: alfred russel on March 24, 2014, 09:02:43 PM
Please tell me Milibrand won't be PM. Can't you at least bring back Brown? I thought he was a good dude.
It's an alarming possibility.

Distance makes the heart grow fonder and I do quite like Brown. There was something reassuringly tank-like about him. 'WOMEN! And you are one of them!'
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on March 24, 2014, 09:23:10 PM
Which makes perfect sense.  Bluffing at the pot that your opponent is interested in is a bad play.

Stalin and Kruschov were very interested in the German pot.

PDH

Sometimes Languish is shit, sometimes it produces a shitstorm that makes life worth living.

I am not sure which one this is.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 24, 2014, 09:28:29 PM
Which makes perfect sense.  Bluffing at the pot that your opponent is interested in is a bad play.

We had a different hand back then, a bigger bankroll, and the wife back home that still knew her place and didn't bug you about how your night went.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 24, 2014, 09:28:29 PM

We weren't bluffing then.  Now, I'm not so sure.  I have a sinking feeling that NATO is pretty much over.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on March 24, 2014, 09:45:30 PM
I have a sinking feeling that NATO is pretty much over.

Don't be a twat.

DGuller

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 24, 2014, 09:52:47 PM

Don't be a twat.
I think Raz has a point.  IMO, NATO is especially vulnerable to a frog in boiling water attack, much like the one perpetrated on Crimea.  An all-out massive invasion would obviously not go down well, but a slow strangulation that places the onus on the defender to gather their resolve to draw the line and strike back can be deadly.  I'm not sure that Western Europeans have either the will or the ability to get involved in a serious confrontation.

Razgovory

Yeah, Salami slicing tactics is a big danger.  I also have grave doubts about some of European allies.  Would they really want to risk everything for a few Estonian villages that the Russians move into to protect the ethnic Russians from Baltic Neo-Nazis?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Razgovory on March 24, 2014, 10:24:44 PM
I also have grave doubts about some of European allies.  Would they really want to risk everything for a few Estonian villages that the Russians move into to protect the ethnic Russians from Baltic Neo-Nazis?

Would we? [TheBrain]Non-rhetorical.[/TheBrain]
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DGuller on March 24, 2014, 10:16:36 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 24, 2014, 09:52:47 PM

Don't be a twat.
I think Raz has a point.  IMO, NATO is especially vulnerable to a frog in boiling water attack, much like the one perpetrated on Crimea.  An all-out massive invasion would obviously not go down well, but a slow strangulation that places the onus on the defender to gather their resolve to draw the line and strike back can be deadly.  I'm not sure that Western Europeans have either the will or the ability to get involved in a serious confrontation.

You and Raz are both mutts.  Get your fucking heads out of your asses.

Razgovory

You have much more faith in our Euro friends then I do.  I hope you are right.

Tamas

I think this crisis will revitalize NATO, and probably put an end to the "conventional wars won't happen again, all we need is a bunch of commandos and some drones" BS

Beenherebefore

Quote from: Tamas on March 25, 2014, 04:13:50 AM
I think this crisis will revitalize NATO, and probably put an end to the "conventional wars won't happen again, all we need is a bunch of commandos and some drones" BS

Let's hope you are right. The problem is the financial situation for many European countries in my opinion. It makes re-arming less of a tempting option.

I'm blissfully unaware of the situation in other countries, but Norway's basically trimmed down the armed forces into a small, professional army mostly set up as a rapid reaction force.
The conscripts are in such bad shape, fighting is not an option. Sad, but true.
The artist formerly known as Norgy

celedhring

Quote from: Beenherebefore on March 25, 2014, 04:27:06 AM
Quote from: Tamas on March 25, 2014, 04:13:50 AM

Let's hope you are right. The problem is the financial situation for many European countries in my opinion. It makes re-arming less of a tempting option.

Europe vastly outstrips Russia both in GNP and in manpower, and without having looked at the numbers, I would be surprised if the EU's combined military spending wasn't already higher than Russia's. It's more a matter of integration, coordination and political resolve. Something we haven't excelled in yet, admittedly.

Iormlund

I very much doubt Spain is going to commit to rearmament in our current predicament, much less so for the sake of troubles that here seem very distant.