News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ukraine's European Revolution?

Started by Sheilbh, December 03, 2013, 07:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

I, for one, am glad that Aggie is keeping grumbles distracted.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: derspiess on March 18, 2014, 03:08:12 PM
I've seen just about every Kalashnikov variant in pics from Crimea, customized every which way.  Odd to see one of the Russian dudes with what appears to be an AR-pattern rifle with a big-ass scope, suppressor and bi-pod (?).

I think that is a Knight SR-25 ER.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on March 20, 2014, 07:26:18 AM

Yeah, that seems likely.  Either way, now that you mention it, the receiver's the wrong shape for an AR-pattern.
Experience bij!

grumbler

Quote from: Habbaku on March 20, 2014, 07:25:24 AM
I, for one, am glad that Aggie is keeping grumbles distracted.

Not even I am willing to wade through that!  tl;dr

You win, Age.  Congrats.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Maladict

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

derspiess

Quote from: DontSayBanana on March 20, 2014, 07:29:23 AM
Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on March 20, 2014, 07:26:18 AM

Yeah, that seems likely.  Either way, now that you mention it, the receiver's the wrong shape for an AR-pattern.

It is AR-pattern, actually.  Just the larger caliber type (often called AR-10).
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Larch

The EU throws a trade bone to Ukraine:

QuoteTrade Committee backs plan to remove EU tariffs on imports from Ukraine

INTA Press release - External/international trade − 20-03-2014 - 11:06

About 98% of the customs duties that Ukrainian goods exporters pay at EU borders would be removed by a proposal backed by the European Parliament's International Trade Committee on Thursday. This unilateral measure would boost Ukraine's struggling economy by saving its manufacturers and exporters €487 million a year.
(...)
This unilateral trade preference measure would not require Ukraine to reciprocate by removing its own customs duties on imports from the EU, but would require it not to raise them.

Ukraine is apparently withdrawing from CIS as well.

Valmy

All those top quality Ukrainian manufactured goods coming to a Carrefour near you.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Larch

Quote from: Valmy on March 20, 2014, 09:21:30 AM
All those top quality Ukrainian manufactured goods coming to a Carrefour near you.

Coal and wheat, on the other hand...

Caliga

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 20, 2014, 07:03:39 AM
Christ.
You got to add that cat to your drinking game if you haven't already, chief. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on March 20, 2014, 09:32:11 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on March 20, 2014, 07:03:39 AM
Christ.
You got to add that cat to your drinking game if you haven't already, chief. :)

Anybody responds to grumbles with a wall of text, take 2 drinks.

that's a double!
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

QuoteRussians who see US negatively, via @levada_ru:
March 2012: 35%
March 2013: 39%
January 2014: 44%
March 2014: 56%
http://www.levada.ru/18-03-2014/otnoshenie-rossiyan-k-drugim-stranam ...

THANKS OBAMA
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Brazen

Apparently the Ukraine crisis is going to kill NATO:
Why the Russian invasion of Crimea could signal the end of the NATO alliance, by Professor Michael Ben-Gad, City University London.

"The likely outcome of the Russian absorption of Crimea and the subsequent feeble response from the West signals the fracturing and potentially the ultimate demise of NATO and the Western Alliance.

"In fact, it may already be too late to save NATO, and the small Estonian city of Narva is where it might well fall apart.

"Perhaps in the not too distant future, Russian border guards will be told to walk the 400 metres across the empty field that separates Narva's town hall from the Russian border, and help the locals seize control of their city.

"How might the US and its Western allies respond? Would they send troops to push the Russians back? In Estonia? How would they get there? And what then? Is NATO then prepared to then head north and re-enact the siege of Leningrad? Would it threaten nuclear war? Over Narva?

"The lazy assumptions that the NATO alliance will continue to guarantee the sovereignty and freedom of its European allies can no longer be taken for granted.

"Those opposed to the maintenance of an independent nuclear capability in either the UK or France might want to think again."