News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ukraine's European Revolution?

Started by Sheilbh, December 03, 2013, 07:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: Razgovory on March 04, 2014, 12:36:56 PM
Wait, is that suppose to hurt us or them?

I love how his threat apparently is "STOP OR WE'LL LET OUR COMPANIES DEFAULT! TAKE THAT AMERICANS!".

The Brain

Quote from: Tamas on March 04, 2014, 12:38:01 PM

Why is every second reply to me is "oh, you are Hungarian, of course you don't know better"?

For shame, Languish. :mad:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on March 04, 2014, 12:06:23 PM
Apparently RT's reply to Ms. Martin is:
Quote"In her comment Ms. Martin also noted that she does not possess a deep knowledge of reality of the situation in Crimea. As such we'll be sending her to Crimea to give her an opportunity to make up her own mind from the epicentre of the story."

Rough!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on March 04, 2014, 12:30:40 PM
Quote from: DGuller on March 04, 2014, 12:28:25 PM
Quote from: Malthus on March 04, 2014, 10:53:51 AM
"Treason doth never prosper: what's the reason? Why if it prosper, none dare call
it treason."
There is also a rhyming Russia saying: "Мятеж не может кончиться удачей, В противном случае его зовут иначе."

There's a Swedish saying: Hallå där, köp blåbär!

:P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: celedhring on March 04, 2014, 12:39:06 PM

I love how his threat apparently is "STOP OR WE'LL LET OUR COMPANIES DEFAULT! TAKE THAT AMERICANS!".

I imagine that many Russian business owners had their hearts skip a beat hearing that.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tamas

Quote from: The Brain on March 04, 2014, 12:39:43 PM

Why is every second reply to me is "oh, you are Hungarian, of course you don't know better"?

For shame, Languish. :mad:

celedhring

Quote from: Razgovory on March 04, 2014, 12:43:05 PM

I imagine that many Russian business owners had their hearts skip a beat hearing that.

According to the article and some other sources the guy that said this is just a bag of wind they routinely put out to look tough, but has no actual say in policy. But it is still funny. Apparently he's claimed Russia can tank the US economy too.

crazy canuck

It seems the most logical explanation for why you post the way you do at times.

alfred russel

Quote from: celedhring on March 04, 2014, 12:53:15 PM
According to the article and some other sources the guy that said this is just a bag of wind they routinely put out to look tough, but has no actual say in policy. But it is still funny. Apparently he's claimed Russia can tank the US economy too.

Russia can turn us into a nuclear wasteland, so they probably have some ability there.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

grumbler

Quote from: Razgovory on March 04, 2014, 12:43:05 PM

So the Russian government is tanking their economy over threats that they know won't be credible?  How very Russian of them.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Richard Hakluyt

Russia is so weak, but with so many nuclear missiles, best not to corner them especially when they might even accidentally do it to themselves.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on March 04, 2014, 01:22:40 PM
Russia is so weak, but with so many nuclear missiles, best not to corner them especially when they might even accidentally do it to themselves.

One analyst commented that the worst possible outcome is if the Russian leadership starts believing their own propaganda.

Jacob

Berkut

Quote from: alfred russel on March 04, 2014, 01:17:40 PM

Russia can turn us into a nuclear wasteland, so they probably have some ability there.

I actually seriously doubt that.

My suspicion is that their nuclear arsenal in reality works about as well as most of their high tech military equipment - barely, if at all.

Of course, that suspicion is not really enough to make policy on...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Syt

On that topic:

QuoteReuters:

The Strategic Rocket Forces launched an RS-12M Topol missile from the southerly Astrakhan region near the Caspian Sea and the dummy warhead hit its target at a proving ground in Kazakhstan, the state-run news agency RIA cited Defence Ministry spokesman Igor Yegorov as saying.

Russian report: http://ria.ru/defense_safety/20140304/998158431.html
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.