News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ukraine's European Revolution?

Started by Sheilbh, December 03, 2013, 07:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Yeah, I have to concur that Obama's not coming off too well here.

Sheilbh

Some quotes from the Duma debate:
'We've been waiting for this request from Vladimir Putin for a long time.'
'We know that Maidan fighters active in Kiev and elsewhere were trained in Lithuania and Poland'
'Words of Barack Obama ... a direct threat to Russian people'
The final vote:
Let's bomb Russia!

DGuller

Quote from: DGuller on February 18, 2014, 11:31:19 PM
I have a sinking feeling that we're now watching the beginning of a long epic, where the evil is on initially victorious march, and the good guys are cluelessly stumbling around and not even realizing they're in a fight.
:(

Berkut

Man, I am seriously thinking about changing my online ID. Uggh. I've had this for something like 15 years or more now.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Jacob

Quote from: Berkut on March 01, 2014, 11:17:14 AM
Man, I am seriously thinking about changing my online ID. Uggh. I've had this for something like 15 years or more now.

:(

Sheilbh

:lol: European Foreign Ministers will hold an emergency summit. On Monday :weep:

Klitschko's called for general mobilisation in Ukraine.

I agree with Hopi Sen almost wish we were cynically abandoning Ukraine, say a trade Crimea for Syria. But it's not even that. Just gawping dumbly.
Let's bomb Russia!

DGuller

Quote from: Jacob on March 01, 2014, 11:16:06 AM
Yeah, I have to concur that Obama's not coming off too well here.
Agreed.  For the first time I'm seriously contemplating putting myself in the "disapprove" column on his job performance.  Sound domestic policy is good, especially when the alternative is cooked up somewhere inside the mental health institution, but FFS, you can't project weakness to our geopolitical enemies.  That's like the minimum job requirement.

frunk

I think if our response in Syria had been stronger we wouldn't be in this mess.  Putin is just pushing and pushing to see exactly how much he and his allies can get away with.

OttoVonBismarck

At least we can stop talking hypothetically about the eventual decline of America as a superpower, rise of China etc. That shit is done, we're just a larger United Kingdom at this point in terms of being a great power.

The Brain

Will Obama write a well-spoken letter to Putin?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: frunk on March 01, 2014, 11:27:04 AM
I think if our response in Syria had been stronger we wouldn't be in this mess.  Putin is just pushing and pushing to see exactly how much he and his allies can get away with.

As this isn't Putin's Danzig the question becomes what it actually is: Rhineland (nah), Austria, Sudetenland, Bohemia, Memel...?

DGuller

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on March 01, 2014, 11:29:03 AM
Quote from: frunk on March 01, 2014, 11:27:04 AM

As this isn't Putin's Danzig the question becomes what it actually is: Rhineland (nah), Austria, Sudetenland, Bohemia, Memel...?
Classic Sudetenland.  There is an appeal to take the territory on the basis of your country's ethnicity living there, and needing your protection.  On the other side, there is a similar level of total incompetence at the top on the side of Western leaders, coupled with lack of desire to fight someone else's war.

Berkut

I just hope things don't deteriorate to the point that we made need to reset again.

0 rows returned

Syt

I see this most closely resembling Sudeten, if anything.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Berkut

The parallel with the Sudetenland is almost creepy, actually.

0 rows returned