News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ukraine's European Revolution?

Started by Sheilbh, December 03, 2013, 07:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

Ukraine has a great army motivated by the recruiting powers of their mightiest strategic advantage, Ukrainian women. They don't get fat until at least 25!
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Razgovory on February 28, 2014, 11:17:18 PM
The point of NATO was that the West could oppose Russian aggression with one voice.  Nobody has an interest in that anymore.  I genuinely wonder if NATO would do something if the Baltics were overrun.

:yes: It doesn't help that, paradoxically, thanks to the meant-to-be fig leaf that is Russia's seat on the UN Security Council, NATO is now beholden to the very country it was designed to help counter.
Experience bij!

alfred russel

Quote from: Razgovory on February 28, 2014, 11:17:18 PM

The point of NATO was that the West could oppose Russian aggression with one voice. 

I think it is a defensive alliance. Russia/the USSR have rolled their tanks lots of places without a NATO response.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Razgovory

Quote from: Iormlund on February 28, 2014, 11:17:50 PM
Meh. We might be reluctant of getting killed for others in Western Europe, but we do manufacture an absurd amount of modern weapons. Just start sending some to those that will put them to good use. If Putin wants to play this by the Cold War book, why can't we?

If Putin comes to understand that's all you'll do then Russia could pick you guys off one by one.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Iormlund

Quote from: Razgovory on February 28, 2014, 11:37:40 PM
Meh. We might be reluctant of getting killed for others in Western Europe, but we do manufacture an absurd amount of modern weapons. Just start sending some to those that will put them to good use. If Putin wants to play this by the Cold War book, why can't we?

If Putin comes to understand that's all you'll do then Russia could pick you guys off one by one.

What makes you think the Russian Army can even get past the Ukraine? It's not the Soviets we're talking about.

We'd also get see if the Russian Army can swallow countries faster than advanced economies can build nukes.

alfred russel

If Putin's master plan is to conquer Spain, he has certainly moved at a deliberate pace his first 15 years or so. 
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

alfred russel

HOWEVER, Ukraine is the first step in this theoretical progression of conquest: UKRAINE, Poland, Germany, France, SPAIN.

Iormlund, you might want to start studying Russian just in case.

Razgovory

Quote from: Iormlund on February 28, 2014, 11:51:01 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 28, 2014, 11:37:40 PM

What makes you think the Russian Army can even get past the Ukraine? It's not the Soviets we're talking about.

We'd also get see if the Russian Army can swallow countries faster than advanced economies can build nukes.

And Europe doesn't have the militaries it once did either.  The Ukraine is on the verge of civil war, we don't even know if the army can fight or even would.  Who would you guys fight for?  If not Ukraine, what about Estonia?  What about Poland?  What about Austria?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Queequeg

Poland's incredibly, fiercely anti-Russian and we'd be sending them a ton of the best supplies and training America and Europe had to offer even if for some insane reason we weren't dedicating our boys to the conflict. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Queequeg

Russia would be facing a fierce anti-partisan campaign in Galicia and the Carpathians years before it would be in a place to attack Poland.  And we'd be shoving anti-tank and anti-air equipment in there.  It just wouldn't work.  This isn't the 30s. 
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

alfred russel

While this talk of Russia moving into central Europe is completely insane, Spellus is right. Russia intervening in the Ukraine has always been seen as somewhat possible, as is seen right now (Russians in the Ukraine without an apparent response even from Ukraine). That is why NATO for Ukraine was a terrible idea. Poland is completely different. Even if no one else did anything at all, Russia would have its hands full in Poland. There would be no point to an invasion--it would make Russia worse off even in a best case scenario.

Grinning_Colossus

QuoteEkho Moskvy said the situation was tense in Crimea as "the region does not recognize the change in government in Ukraine."

Ah, I think I see where this is going. They're going to install Yanukovych in Simferopol as the 'legitimate government' of all Ukraine. He fled to Crimea before he went to Moscow, so I wonder if the original plan was for him to call for Russian assistance from there.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Razgovory

The partisan campaign in the 1950's was all that successful...  And you are right, it's not the 1930's.  Maybe there won't be any partisans at all this time.  Maybe Ed's right.  Maybe we should leave the Euros to their own devices.  If they won't stand up for each other, why should we stand up for them?

Queequeg

The Poles won in 1919 when their country was still a post-apocalyptic hellhole.  Again, they can hold their own if we give them the right equipment even if we're so fuckign retarded that we don't dedicate our troops to war with a Fascistic Russia. 

Queequeg

The Russians are the Pole's racial enemies and they have a competent government and Russia has problems fighting wars when it's own extermination is not on the line.   This is an absurd fantasy of a situation.