News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ukraine's European Revolution?

Started by Sheilbh, December 03, 2013, 07:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Queequeg on February 28, 2014, 01:32:45 PM
When the Crimea breaks off it is going to set a precedent.  If the reforms actually get through and Eastern Ukrainian industry dies while the West starts to get some investment we will be looking at an actual breakup in another 9 years. 

If that happens, then so be it.  Ukraine doesn't appear to be governable in its current form.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Neil

Quote from: Tamas on February 28, 2014, 01:03:53 PM
We joke about appeasement, but to be honest I prefer that over a NATO vs. Russia shooting match. That's like one bad move from nuclear holocaust, and I am not ready to see civilization crumble because of Ukraine.

That said "let's partition Ukraine" and other comments sound very much like what happened in the 30s, indeed.
What are you talking about?  Civilization is already long gone.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on February 28, 2014, 01:41:22 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on February 28, 2014, 01:32:45 PM
When the Crimea breaks off it is going to set a precedent.  If the reforms actually get through and Eastern Ukrainian industry dies while the West starts to get some investment we will be looking at an actual breakup in another 9 years. 

If that happens, then so be it.  Ukraine doesn't appear to be governable in its current form.

The only thing making Ukraine "ungovernable" is the presence of Russian troops in Crimea.  Every other part of the country appears to be going remarkably well given the circumstances.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on February 28, 2014, 01:58:37 PM
The only thing making Ukraine "ungovernable" is the presence of Russian troops in Crimea.  Every other part of the country appears to be going remarkably well given the circumstances.

We've had virtually no reporting (actually, maybe zero reporting) on the sentiments of eastern Ukrainians.

alfred russel

Lets not overstate things. The Ukraine is really poor. It is not especially stable. It is corrupt. The past few months it has been somewhat paralyzed by massive protests.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Queequeg

I don't know what you'd call "having a massive Western-friendly revolution every 10 years that overturns all of the established government only to have increasingly Moscow-friendly Plutocrats democratically elected until another massive Western-friendly revolution", but "ungovernable" seems as accurate as any descriptor. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

The Brain

Cronkite says that the war is now ungovernable.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Quote from: Queequeg on February 28, 2014, 02:12:47 PM
I don't know what you'd call "having a massive Western-friendly revolution every 10 years that overturns all of the established government only to have increasingly Moscow-friendly Plutocrats democratically elected until another massive Western-friendly revolution", but "ungovernable" seems as accurate as any descriptor.

Other than the Baltics, none of the former states of the USSR have had a very good time of the last 25 years.  Ukraine is probably doing the second best in terms of developing a functioning democracy and civil society.

You can't just look at the riots in the street and say "this country can't function".  That kind of analysis leaves you with the impression that Belorussia is fine, which it clearly isn't.

Queequeg

Georgia is actually doing okay-ish.  Armenia has to deal with the fact that it can't trade with either of the countries on it's border, both of whom want it's entire population dead.  The Baltics are great.  Who expected much from Central Asia? 
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Razgovory

It doesn't seem to be ungovernable, I mean, it's not like they are engaging in ethnic cleansing.  And let's be clear, Russia would take the whole eastern half of the country, not just the Crimea.  Maybe the whole country if they thought they could get away with it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

Quote from: Queequeg on February 28, 2014, 02:44:30 PM
Georgia is actually doing okay-ish.  Armenia has to deal with the fact that it can't trade with either of the countries on it's border, both of whom want it's entire population dead.  The Baltics are great.  Who expected much from Central Asia?

Georgia was the country I was thinking of when I said Ukraine was 2nd best.

Valmy

Armenia has to deal with the fact that it can't trade with either of the countries on it's border, both of whom want it's entire population dead.

Well fortunately the benevolent nations of Iran and Georgia also border Armenia.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

Austrian paper Die Presse quotes Russian agency Ria Novosti that the Russian parliament is to vote on a law that would make the addition of foreign territory easier; a referendum of the local populace would be sufficient.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Queequeg

Quote from: Valmy on February 28, 2014, 02:51:30 PM
Armenia has to deal with the fact that it can't trade with either of the countries on it's border, both of whom want it's entire population dead.

Well fortunately the benevolent nations of Iran and Georgia also border Armenia.
I meant "two of four", and the borders with Turkey and Azerbaijan are the longest.  Don't second-guess my knowledge of Armenian geography. 

Ed Anger

Quote from: Queequeg on February 28, 2014, 02:54:23 PM
Quote from: Valmy on February 28, 2014, 02:51:30 PM

I meant "two of four", and the borders with Turkey and Azerbaijan are the longest.  Don't second-guess my knowledge of Armenian geography.

Woooo! Snap snap!
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive