News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ukraine's European Revolution?

Started by Sheilbh, December 03, 2013, 07:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

Any clause about how the election is held and who will be allowed to monitor it?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Admiral Yi

Cool that Poland was involved.  Really the model New European in a lot of ways.

Maximus

Quote from: Barrister on February 21, 2014, 11:39:09 AM
All I can say is that this deal sounds about almost as good as the West could hope for.  I sure hope it works, prevents further bloodshed, and results in a change of President later this year.
You are probably right, but there's a real fear that the protesters won't leave while Yanukovytch is still in power.

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

Quote from: Zanza on February 21, 2014, 11:57:50 AM
Heh, our foreign minister doing something worthwhile? Haven't seen that for years...

Must... not... make... Ribbentrop joke.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: Maximus on February 21, 2014, 12:03:42 PM
Quote from: Barrister on February 21, 2014, 11:39:09 AM
All I can say is that this deal sounds about almost as good as the West could hope for.  I sure hope it works, prevents further bloodshed, and results in a change of President later this year.
You are probably right, but there's a real fear that the protesters won't leave while Yanukovytch is still in power.

Some won't, but if enough do leave, then the protests can quietly peter out.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: derspiess on February 21, 2014, 11:12:55 AM

Wow, Fabius...
Fabius to be busy to be there himself? More pressing antiques to deal with or what (he famously got an exception for antiques in the wealth tax in the '80s).

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

DGuller

Quote from: Malthus on February 21, 2014, 11:56:58 AM
Quote from: DGuller on February 21, 2014, 11:51:23 AM
The one things that is a little concerning is how pliable the constitution is.  What's the safeguard against another amendment that again undoes what was agreed upon, other than the threat of another bloodbath?

Ultimately, it is the threat of a bloodbath - or rather, the loss of legitimacy and hence loss of power, that may lead to a bloodbath - that underpins all constitutions, rather than their specific terms. The best-drafted, most binding terms in the world are worthless if the government can effectively get away with ignoring them. 

What interests me is whether the army was sounded out on crushing the protesters by force - and indicated it would refuse.
That is true, but at the same time pliable constitutions are more vulnerable to the frog in boiling water approach, where protections are eroded gradually and imperceptibly to the masses.

Queequeg

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

DGuller

Valmy

No love for Yulia Tymoshenko?  Isn't she the pro-EU leader?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

http://www.interpretermag.com/ukraine-liveblog-day-4-yanukovych-teeters/

Quote1620 GMT: A potentially highly significant report from Dnepropetrovsk, Ukraine's 4th largest city located in the southeast. It appears that police may have peacefully surrendered to protesters there:

Well that's an odd sight.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on February 21, 2014, 12:32:23 PM
No love for Yulia Tymoshenko?  Isn't she the pro-EU leader?

She's kind of a flake.