News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ukraine's European Revolution?

Started by Sheilbh, December 03, 2013, 07:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

I care about this roughly as much as I cared for the Arab Spring demonstrations. I am sympathetic to the protestor's cause. I support that my government tries to solve the issue politically and to put pressure on the Ukrainian government. But that's about it.

derspiess

I'm tempted to send the opposition some fireworks.  They're surely running low by now.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Razgovory

Hey, at least one European leader is weighing in.

Angela Merkel looks to be getting directly involved.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on February 20, 2014, 12:51:42 PM
Angela Merkel looks to be getting directly involved.

Shhh.  It's a disguise :angry:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

alfred russel

Quote from: Tamas on February 20, 2014, 11:59:54 AM
It was mentioned, that the EU foreign ministers/their staff who met with Yanukovich today say that he called Putin multiple times during the meeting.

I doubt he was checking for ice hockey updates.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Syt

Tweets from the Russian foreign ministry, attributing the statement to Putin:

QuoteRussia is a peaceful democratic state. We are convinced that international problems and conflicts should be resolved by political rather than military means. It is mainly due to this approach that Russia has managed to stop a number of tragic developments, such as the events around the Republic of Syria. However, the world today remains unstable; the area of potential conflict is expanding. In these conditions, we should be vigilant and remain prepared to defend Russia and its citizens regardless of how the situation may develop. Therefore, the combat readiness of our Army and Navy remain the most important national security factors.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Grinning_Colossus

Got a gendarme of Europe right here.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

DGuller

Quote from: Syt on February 20, 2014, 01:21:14 PM
QuoteRussia is a peaceful democratic state.
Now that's just taunting.

Admiral Yi

QuoteWe are convinced that international problems and conflicts should be resolved by political rather than military means. It is mainly due to this approach that Russia has managed to stop a number of tragic developments, such as the events around the Republic of Syria.

This is true chutzpah.

derspiess

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on February 20, 2014, 01:31:56 PM
Glad we hit that reset button.

So am I.  We no longer have a President who looks into Putin's eyes and sees his beautiful soul.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on February 20, 2014, 01:37:51 PM
So am I.  We no longer have a President who looks into Putin's eyes and sees his beautiful soul.

I'm actually not beating up Obama or Hillary (I did feel at the time like they were throwing the previous administration under the bus but that was a while ago).  I just think our foreign policy towards Russia tends to be a bit naive, and that didn't begin with Obama.