News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ukraine's European Revolution?

Started by Sheilbh, December 03, 2013, 07:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on February 19, 2014, 01:00:37 PM
I don't think the east is as solidly in the Yanukovich camp as it is portrayed.

There was an electoral map someone posted earlier that showed a pretty strong cleavage.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 19, 2014, 01:20:59 PM
Quote from: DGuller on February 19, 2014, 01:00:37 PM
I don't think the east is as solidly in the Yanukovich camp as it is portrayed.

There was an electoral map someone posted earlier that showed a pretty strong cleavage.
That is true, but election happened a while ago, and internal elections don't necessarily tell you about international allegiances.  The elections also happened before Yanukovich showed his hand.

crazy canuck

DG, what do you think of the NationalGeographic article I posted?

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 19, 2014, 01:33:43 PM

Pretty superficial runthrough of Ukrainian history.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Queequeg

Holy Fuck. Oh my God. This is going to get so much worse.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

derspiess

Quote from: DGuller on February 19, 2014, 01:06:50 PM
Quote from: derspiess on February 19, 2014, 01:04:56 PM
Have the East split away as East Ukraine and either become a Russian satellite or part of the Russian Federation-- that's what most people there seem to want, isn't it?
I think that's a mighty strong assumption.

I'll admit I have very limited knowledge on the subject-- just going by what I've gathered from the news & other sources over the past few years.  Do you know of any legit opinion polls or anything that disprove the notion that the southern and eastern parts of Ukraine (and roughly half the population) is pro-Russia?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Maximus

The governor of the Volyn region has reportedly been captured and "abused" by protesters.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Barrister on February 19, 2014, 01:35:45 PM

It's like 8th grade social studies level.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

DGuller

Quote from: Queequeg on February 19, 2014, 01:37:50 PM
Holy Fuck. Oh my God. This is going to get so much worse.
Yeah.  :( It's pretty clear that Yanukovich went all-in for the military solution to the problem.  It seems like large-scale military defections are the only realistic hope for the protesters.

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on February 19, 2014, 01:40:46 PM
Quote from: DGuller on February 19, 2014, 01:06:50 PM
Quote from: derspiess on February 19, 2014, 01:04:56 PM
Have the East split away as East Ukraine and either become a Russian satellite or part of the Russian Federation-- that's what most people there seem to want, isn't it?
I think that's a mighty strong assumption.

I'll admit I have very limited knowledge on the subject-- just going by what I've gathered from the news & other sources over the past few years.  Do you know of any legit opinion polls or anything that disprove the notion that the southern and eastern parts of Ukraine (and roughly half the population) is pro-Russia?

But what does "pro-russia" mean?

My understanding is that eastern Ukraine is largely russian speaking and views Russia positively.

Under Putin however, that's quite a bit different from wanting their region to be incorporated into the Russian Federation.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DGuller

Quote from: derspiess on February 19, 2014, 01:40:46 PM
You are falling into the Kremlin's trap and conflating multiple different concepts.  The eastern part is definitely more pro-Russia than the western part, but to make a leap of faith that they would favor the breakup of the country and being effectively absorbed into Russia is a stretch.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on February 19, 2014, 01:35:45 PM

Well duh, its a National Geographic article.

But did they get anything wrong?

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Barrister on February 19, 2014, 12:37:42 PM
I don't think Putin it looking to physically extend Russia's borders.  They know how difficult that is to do since WWII.

With the exception of Israel, has that happened at all since WWII, disputed territories notwithstanding?

derspiess

Quote from: DGuller on February 19, 2014, 01:43:20 PM
Yeah.  :( It's pretty clear that Yanukovich went all-in for the military solution to the problem.  It seems like large-scale military defections are the only realistic hope for the protesters.

Has he gotten the military involved yet, or is he still using the Berkut-type guys for his "anti-terrorist operations"?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Crazy_Ivan80

one of the questions is wether or not the east-Ukrainian potentates would rather be big fish in the Ukrainian pond or small fish in the gigantic russian pond... powerwise