News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ukraine's European Revolution?

Started by Sheilbh, December 03, 2013, 07:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on February 18, 2014, 02:08:27 PMNo, it was more that with the world's attention captured by the games, other news captures less international attention.

I think the story of "Russian tanks in foreign country during Beijing Olympics" is significantly different than "Russian tanks in foreign country during Sochi Olympics." I think the media would pounce on that.

Admiral Yi

Wait a minute: are you guys talking about the war Georgia started?  :hmm:

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 18, 2014, 02:14:34 PM
Wait a minute: are you guys talking about the war Georgia started?  :hmm:

Don't worry. If Russian tanks roll into the Ukraine, it'll be Ukraine's fault too. No doubt about it.

Admiral Yi

I'm having trouble making sense of that.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 18, 2014, 02:22:19 PM
I'm having trouble making sense of that.

I'm saying that it transpires that Russia sends tanks into the Ukraine, Russia will claim that the Ukraine started it one way or the other.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on February 18, 2014, 02:46:52 PM
I'm saying that it transpires that Russia sends tanks into the Ukraine, Russia will claim that the Ukraine started it one way or the other.

Thanks for the helpful paraphrase.  My issue was more what you were basing that conclusion on.

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on February 18, 2014, 02:02:41 PM
Quote from: Malthus on February 18, 2014, 09:43:28 AM
Quote from: Valmy on February 18, 2014, 09:08:39 AM
Quote from: Tamas on February 18, 2014, 08:48:33 AM
Round 2 has begun!

Governing party's HQ ransacked, protesters getting into Parliament, beating up communist MPs, both side accusing the other of using firearms, and allegedly pro-government protesters joining the police, next escalation step toward civil war seems well under way.

How soon until the Russian Army arrives?

When is the closing ceremonies at the Olympics?

You sure about that?

The Russian invasion of Georgia took place during the 2008 Beijing Games...

That's different - obviously, it is not as big a story if a non-host does something awful, than if a host country does.

These games are Putin's shot at international respect, he won't mess them up for Ukraine - which will anyway keep until after the games.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

I'm thinking partition might not be such a terrible solution.

Tamas

Maidan Square appears to be under siege by the police forces. It is said they stopped the underground trains this afternoon in preparation, Klichko knew something was coming and asked women and children at the square to go home.

Merkel and other leaders have been trying in vain to get a phone connection with the Ukrainian prez, so probably he is determined to end this thing now.

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 18, 2014, 03:48:27 PM
I'm thinking partition might not be such a terrible solution.

I wonder if Putin would want that.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 18, 2014, 01:10:59 PM
Quote from: DGuller on February 18, 2014, 12:31:39 PM
I doubt that they won't.  The Russians are already laying the groundwork for it.  The full-scale invasion of Ukraine is unlikely, but if Georgia example of dismemberment is anything to go by, there will be military involved.

In the Georgian case Russia got the right to station "peacekeepers" in Abkhazia as a quid pro quo for folding on Serbia.

Zero chance of Russian tanks rolling into Kiev.

What if they are invited?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Maximus

I doubt Ukraine lacks the military power to crush this if they went all out.

Jacob

Quote from: Maximus on February 18, 2014, 04:14:58 PM
I doubt Ukraine lacks the military power to crush this if they went all out.

The question may be whether the Ukrainian military would all out crush the protestors if ordered to. The Russian military would likely be more reliable in this situation.

Maximus

Quote from: Jacob on February 18, 2014, 04:17:30 PM
The question may be whether the Ukrainian military would all out crush the protestors if ordered to. The Russian military would likely be more reliable in this situation.
Yea, good point.