News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ukraine's European Revolution?

Started by Sheilbh, December 03, 2013, 07:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

katmai

Caliga, You are in Chicago now, I will pay you $1,000 if you videotape donkey punching Spellus.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Admiral Yi

That's dirty Teamster money Boner.  Don't take it.

katmai

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 27, 2014, 10:28:38 PM

Is not, I've been working non-union for major TV networks very much.

Razgovory

Heh, when my mom ran for senate way back, the Teamsters kept trying to sneak her money over the campaign limit.  Oh those mischievous rapscallions.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

It's dirty scab money Boner, don't take it.

katmai

Jacob

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: alfred russel on January 27, 2014, 09:40:51 PM
You know more about this stuff than me, but I think the Ukraine, and Eastern Europe in general, has been destined to lag behind Western Europe because of the climate.

What's so wrong with the climate?  I gather the Ukraine is similar to the American Midwest, and the rest of Eastern Europe doesn't seem significantly more harsh than Germany or Sweden...
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Capetan Mihali

Not to correct you on your own nicknames, but Cal's not "Boner," is he?  :huh:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."

alfred russel

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on January 28, 2014, 12:01:34 AM
You know more about this stuff than me, but I think the Ukraine, and Eastern Europe in general, has been destined to lag behind Western Europe because of the climate.

What's so wrong with the climate?  I gather the Ukraine is similar to the American Midwest, and the rest of Eastern Europe doesn't seem significantly more harsh than Germany or Sweden...

Sweden has a low population density and my understanding is that Scandanavia in general was rather poor prior to WWI.

The further east you go from the ocean the colder the continent gets (in general). Germany may not be much warmer than the Ukraine, but I believe it is warmer, and also benefits from being near countries like France, the Netherlands, and the UK.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

garbon

Climate hardly sounds terrible.

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/reports/climate/Ukraine.htm

QuoteThe climate of the Ukraine can be described as dry and continental influenced climate with warm, dry summers and fairly severe winters. January is the coldest month with daytime temperatures usually around 0°C, but in some cases winter months can be quite colder with temperatures far below zero, about -20°C or lower and strong, cold northeasterly winds, called Bora. Heavy snowfall or even snowstorms are also possible on some days. There are more than 290 sunny days in the year. Since Odessa region is drawn out along the meridian, the climate in the narrow � 30-40 km. � stretch along the coast is practically ideal, with the soft tang of the sea mixing with the dry climate of the steppe further inland.

In summer daytime temperatures reach 25-30°C, but sometimes quite higher, 35°C or more, especially in the inland areas. The summer months enjoy dry weather with sunny spells most of the time, rain often falls with sometimes heavy Thunderstorms, but mostly along the coastal areas of the Black Sea. These Thunderstorms often occur at the end of the day. July is the warmest month with an average Temperature of 24°C. Annual Precipitation is about 400-600 mm, but lower in the inland areas of the Ukraine.

Generally, the weather is best May-September, when days are warm and the nights are cool, although it rains more in Spring than in summer. Autumn and Winter are usually a little chilly and wet along the coastal areas of the Black Sea, and dryer further inland.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 27, 2014, 07:33:24 PMWhatever impact the aid had, the Estonians I know would say an even greater factor was cultural, not just because the Kinship factor with the Scandis but because the Estonians had a strong view of the themselves as industrious people (in addition to a very strong hatred of the Russians).

I have no quibble with that - I think that view is shared in Scandinavia and Finland as well. The credit for the trajectory of the three Baltic states definitely goes to the people and governments of those countries. They definitely had Scandinavia and Finland squarely in their corner to champion their entry into Western institutions etc, and I think that does matter, but it is just one factor amongst many of the story.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: alfred russel on January 28, 2014, 12:15:44 AM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on January 28, 2014, 12:01:34 AM

Sweden has a low population density and my understanding is that Scandanavia in general was rather poor prior to WWI.

The further east you go from the ocean the colder the continent gets (in general). Germany may not be much warmer than the Ukraine, but I believe it is warmer, and also benefits from being near countries like France, the Netherlands, and the UK.

Ok, so you've revised it from climate to "population density + pre-WWI doesn't count + climate" that renders the Ukraine "destined to lag behind"??

And unlike Germany, the Ukraine actually has a Mediterranean climate within its borders (in the Crimea), and similarly benefits from being near warmer countries like Romania, Bulgaria, and Turkey... Or did you mean "being near other rich countries" as the criterion?

Not to mention, of course, how tragically impossible it has been for areas like Colorado, Iowa, Minnesota, Saskatchewan, and Alberta to prosper since they're hamstrung by crippling climactic impediments.

Neil

Quote from: Queequeg on January 27, 2014, 09:35:16 PM

Hmm.

Well historically the shitty Russian agricultural system was not established in Galicia and western and to some extent central Ukraine, so they had an advantage in agricultural production, in addition to the land basically being able to shit crops.  However, collectivization and the holodomor fucked that up.  But I think Eastern Ukraine had some real industrial advantages.  I'd kind of expect it to eventually become something like Belgium; agricultural Flanders beat out by Industrial Wallonia, eventually beat out by post-industrial Flanders.  That's probably what the pro-EU Ukrainian activists want too.

Advanced economies are based on trade, and especially trade via the sea.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.