News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Daleks Vs Dallas 1PM

Started by mongers, November 21, 2013, 02:13:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which has had the greater Cultural Impact over the subsequent 50 years?

Dr Who TV Series
10 (35.7%)
JFK Assassination
14 (50%)
About equal
1 (3.6%)
Don't Know
2 (7.1%)
Mongers What Are You Playing At?
1 (3.6%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Voting closed: November 24, 2013, 02:13:26 PM

The Larch

Out of curiosity I tried looking for a particular Doctor Who story that I remembered watching as a kid, with robotic mummies roaming the English countryside and managed to find it. "Pyramids of Mars", from 1975. I started rewatching it, and I must say that it seems better than I expected, the story is engaging, slightly Lovecraftian, although some parts are atrocious, namely the design of the mummies themselves.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

It always looked like it was filmed with Soviet surplus cameras.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Larch

There are actually some nice exterior shots in a country house.

Savonarola

Quote from: The Larch on November 25, 2013, 06:10:24 PM
Out of curiosity I tried looking for a particular Doctor Who story that I remembered watching as a kid, with robotic mummies roaming the English countryside and managed to find it. "Pyramids of Mars", from 1975. I started rewatching it, and I must say that it seems better than I expected, the story is engaging, slightly Lovecraftian, although some parts are atrocious, namely the design of the mummies themselves.

I watched mostly the Baker and Davison era Doctor Who.  I thought they had consistently good stories; but, yes, the special effects weren't very special.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Agelastus

"Pyramids of Mars", one of Tom Baker's best stories. Before his interpretation of the Doctor went "Over the Top".

I bought that on VHS many years ago. It benefits immensely from being co-written (read, heavily rewritten) by Robert Holmes, one of the best writers of old-series Doctor Who (one of the top three, definitely.) He also created the Autons and the Sontarans, two of the more popular Alien species introduced on the show.

Such a good writer, in fact, that he was called in to write Peter Davison's swan-song story; "The Caves of Androzani" really showcases the difference in quality between the writers of the Sixties and Seventies and the duds they had in the Eighties, so much so that this story has been voted in at least one poll as the best Dr. Who serial ever! If only the rest of Peter Davison's stories had been half or even a third as good... :(
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

citizen k

My favorite Doctor Who episodes:

Planet of the Spiders
Pyramids of Mars
Brain of Morbius
Robots of Death

Ed Anger

Mine:

WOTS ALL THIS THEN?
My Telly is on the fritz!
Is it a candy or a sweet?
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Brazen

Quote from: frunk on November 25, 2013, 12:57:48 PM
Inspector Space Time Wiki
:lmfao: Now that's hilarious. I'll now share that with all my friends and look clever.

Since no-one asked, my favourite episode is The Talons Of Weng-Chiang.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on November 25, 2013, 10:28:10 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on November 25, 2013, 10:25:39 AM
Just to come back to this, how and why is Dr Who popular in America? When did this happen? :blink:

I don't think it is really popular.  It is a nerd culty sort of thing.

Even that just happened with the reboot.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?