Georgia Court Reportedly Lists 'Slave' As Occupation On Questionnaire

Started by jimmy olsen, November 27, 2013, 01:32:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Someone is gonna get fired.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/26/georgia-slave-occupation-court-questionnaire-dekalb-county_n_4345180.html
QuoteGeorgia Court Reportedly Lists 'Slave' As Occupation On Questionnaire

The Huffington Post  |  Posted: 11/26/2013 4:11 pm EST

A Georgia court is struggling to explain a report that it listed "slave" as an occupation on its juror questionnaire.

On Monday, a prospective juror in Dekalb County told local NBC affiliate 11Alive that he typed the letter "S" for "Sales" on the online questionnaire and said the word "Slave" popped up instead.

Court Administrator Cathy McCumber told the station that the online form is a month old but was derived from an older list that's been used to survey jurors for 13 years. The web development company that the court contracted to make the form says the occupations are user-generated.

McCumber told 11Alive she's not sure if someone added "Slave" after the court put the questionnaire online or if it had always been listed among the other occupations.

The Dekalb County Court did not respond to our request for comment.

Some online commenters speculated that the incident was a bad joke or a prank by a disgruntled employee. Others simply expressed outrage that such a thing could even happen.

USA Today reader Peggy England called it a "low down dirty shame," while Dallas resident Peter Klepinowski declared the following on 11Alive's website: "The court needs to apologize and investigate."
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

I still have to get around to seeing the dramatization of DG's memoirs, 12 Years a Slav.

ROGER EBEET GAVE IT 2 THUMBS UP

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Viking

Well, slavery exists today and there certainly are former slave alive and kicking. While "slave" a victim of crime and of being denied ones human rights it is, bizzarely, still an occupation.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Admiral Yi

QuoteUSA Today reader Peggy England called it a "low down dirty shame," while Dallas resident Peter Klepinowski declared the following on 11Alive's website: "The court needs to apologize and investigate."

Embrace the social media paradigm! :punk:

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 27, 2013, 03:22:00 AM
QuoteUSA Today reader Peggy England called it a "low down dirty shame," while Dallas resident Peter Klepinowski declared the following on 11Alive's website: "The court needs to apologize and investigate."

Embrace the social media paradigm! :punk:
:lol: So, the Huffington Post is reduced to reporting what readers of other publications say in the comments section as news?

And telling us about something that only "reportedly" happened?

And Tim thinks this board-worth?

FFS!
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

The source
http://decatur.11alive.com/news/news/505302-dekalb-county-juror-form-lists-slave-occupation?hpt=us_bn8

QuoteDECATUR, Ga. -- A new online juror questionnaire offered by the DeKalb County Court listed "slave" as an occupational option.

Court Administrator Cathy McCumber told 11Alive, the questionnaire went online a month ago, but is based off an internal list that's been used for 13 years.

She says the list is 62 pages long, so she's not sure if the word slave has always been on it, or if it was added before the questionnaire went online. 

11Alive and the court learned about the problem Monday morning, after a potential juror filling out the form hit the letter "s" for sales.  He says he got "slave" instead.

"That is not an occupation, slave is not an occupation," said DeKalb resident, Cheryl Glass.

The company that designed the software says the drop down menus in the survey are inputted by the user.

"Hopefully it's just a glitch and hopefully it will be worked out.
It doesn't make sense, but at the same time people make mistakes," said Anna Wyatt.

McCumber says the word was removed within an hour of learning about it.  But figuring out how it got there, and when will take much longer.

At the courthouse Monday, residents responded with disbelief.

"So they're saying it's a mistake?  I don't think so.  Why is that even an option?  Wow," said Bridgette Mathis.

Until a month ago, jurors had to fill out the questionnaire by hand and mail it in to the courthouse.  The online form is supposed to be easier and more efficient.

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

derspiess

This incident erases all the civil rights progress we thought we made :(
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Berkut

The SC strikes down the Voting Rights Act, and this is what happens.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

DGuller

How is being a slave an occupation?  You don't get paid for it by definition.