The What's In Your Liquor Cabinet? Thread

Started by Caliga, May 26, 2013, 10:18:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Someone's liquor store is asking to burnt down.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Syt on November 23, 2013, 12:50:54 AM
With prices like that I always wonder, "Why the .29?"

Maybe so that when sales tax is added in it comes to an even number?

Syt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 23, 2013, 03:52:40 AM
Quote from: Syt on November 23, 2013, 12:50:54 AM
With prices like that I always wonder, "Why the .29?"

Maybe so that when sales tax is added in it comes to an even number?

The thought had crossed my mind, but I didn't want to start another debate that not showing the tax on the price tag is a strange and weird American custom. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Caliga

I have some Glenfiddich.  Not the 50 year though  :(
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

OttoVonBismarck

It'd be really tedious to list it all out. So in our basement we have half of it converted into a room with three rows of movie theater style seating and a large digital projector setup (I can hardly watch movies even on the 60"+ LCDs anymore) and the other half of the basement is basically a legitimate full bar. So basically any cocktail a "normal" person would order at a bar, I have all the alcoholic ingredients stocked down there. Since I don't really drink cocktails except for special occasions, I only stock the perishable components when I know I'm having people over (so I'll go buy fruits, cream etc prior to a party and put it in the food fridge down there.)

Even listing all the whiskeys out that I have would be tedious. We also have around 300+ bottles of wine down there as well, which I am only guessing at because we have three 130 bottle racks mostly full at the moment.

But some selected whiskeys that are worth mentioning would be (these are all widely available as in not limited runs though some are hard to find, I won't list out any that are only available in hundreds or low thousands of bottles total):

Single Malt

Bunnahabhain 12 Year Old
Glengarioch 21 Year Old
Glenmorangie Nectar D'or
Springbank 11 Year Old
Talisker Storm
Woodstone Creek Whiskey Barrel Bierschnaaps (American single malt whiskey, not Scotch)

Blended Scotch

Chivas 18 Year Old
Black Bottle 10 Year Old
Dewar's Founder's 18 Year Old
Johnnie Walker Double Black

Bourbon

Angel's Envy 43.3%
Four Roses Barrel Strength 13 Year Old 52.1%
George T. Stagg 71.4%
Knob Creek Single Barrel 9 Year Old
Vintage Bourbon 17 Year Old

Irish Whikey

Bushmills 1608
Connemara Bog Oak
Connemara Turf Mor
Kilbeggan 18 Year Old
Jameson Select Reserve Black Barrel
Redbreast 12 Year Old (Single Pot Still)
Wild Geese Classic Blend
The Tyrconnell, 10 year old, Port Cask Finish

Rye Whiskey

Knob Creek Rye 50%
Masterson's Straight Rye
(ri)1
Rittenhouse Rye
Thomas H. Handy Rye 63.45%
Vintage Rye 21 Year Old 47%
WhistlePig Straight Rye Whiskey 10 Year Old

Princesca

OVB... how are Tyrconnell, Connemara, and Kilbeggan? We own them but I've never had them.
"You know what I hate about deep space? Crap radio stations from two hundred years back. My gosh, we were idiots." - Joker, Mass Effect 2

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines." - Emerson

Scipio

Antica Carpano sweet vermouth
Vya Sweet Vermouth
Vya Dry Vermouth
Triple Sec
Boru Vodka
Heaven Hill #1
Fee Brothers Old Fashioned Bitters
Fee Brothers Cherry Bitters
Fee Brothers Rhubarb Bitters
Peychaud's Bitters
Angostura Bitters
Strelets No. 1 (lavender Vodka that I infused)
Strelets No. 2 (cucumber vodka that I infused)

Mostly, I drink beer.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

garbon

Quote from: Princesca on November 23, 2013, 09:07:59 AM
OVB... how are Tyrconnell, Connemara, and Kilbeggan? We own them but I've never had them.

:hmm:

:hug:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Princesca on November 23, 2013, 09:07:59 AM

Tyrconnell

Deep copper color. Port wine / caramel are the strongest on the nose. Some people suggest a hint of citrus but I didn't get that, its nose is complex and probably beyond my skills to fully identify the distinct scents.

Hints of port, vanilla, caramel, licorice on the palate. Strong port flavor on the finish.

I haven't had the Madeira finish but I have had other Tyrconnell, Cooley's appears to go for sweet and complex Irish single malt with Tyrconnell. This whiskey is sweet but in a more reserved and enjoyable way, normally sweeter whiskeys don't appeal to me but this one does.

Kilbeggan: This is an interesting whiskey. The nose has strong caramel and peach. On the palate it's got kick, strong oak and tannin flavors that linger.

Connemara:

Bog Oak: So first I should explain in case anyone is unaware, bog oak is oak that has been buried in an Irish bog for thousands of years. Cooley's has started pulling some of this up and using it in the ends of some of their casks. The Turf Mor is also made in the same way by Cooley's (so both spent some time in a bog oak ended cask), in fact the majority of Bog Oak is the exact same malt as Turf Mor, but aged for one more year. Then Cooley's mixed in a variety of malt from casks between 8-15 years old to produce the Bog Oak. I actually didn't mean to list anything only released in small batches, but Bog Oak actually is one of those (Turf Mor should be more available.)

The Turf Mor is probably the smokiest Irish whiskey I've had. I like that, and all the reviews I read prior to buying it indicated that, and well, it was as advertised. One review actually mentions there is dung on the nose, but thankfully I didn't smell that at all. It's also one of the better young whiskeys I have had, being only 3 years old. this is a strong peaty whiskey but is balanced enough that it isn't unpleasant as some of the more ridiculous heavy peat flavored whiskeys.

The Bog Oak is very similar but they have toned down the peat bite, I suspect in large part because more mature whiskeys were blended into the Turf Mor malt.

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Scipio on November 23, 2013, 10:25:22 AM
Antica Carpano sweet vermouth
Vya Sweet Vermouth
Vya Dry Vermouth
Triple Sec
Boru Vodka
Heaven Hill #1
Fee Brothers Old Fashioned Bitters
Fee Brothers Cherry Bitters
Fee Brothers Rhubarb Bitters
Peychaud's Bitters
Angostura Bitters
Strelets No. 1 (lavender Vodka that I infused)
Strelets No. 2 (cucumber vodka that I infused)

Mostly, I drink beer.

I mostly drink beer as well. There's a good beer/wine store near us that stocks a huge variety of craft beers and I'm friends with the owner so he usually texts me if they get something in he thinks I'd like to try. The four taps I have typically one keg is one of my homebrews, one is usually a variety of different "guest beers" (from friends who brew), one is usually a variety of different nationally distributed craft beers you can buy in kegs, and one is Newcastle (first beer I put on tap when we finished the bar and will always be available in my house as a matter of principle.)

I love wine, but I'm absolutely not a wine connoisseur whatsoever (or oenophile as they say.) My father-in-law who is quite wealthy and spent about 60 years being a big time wine collector started to break up his collection a couple years ago between his various children, in laws and etc. He said he wanted to give them to people himself rather than have it get handled in the estate, and if he predeceases my mother in law he said he didn't trust her to give everyone a proper assortment since she isn't much of a wine person either.

So when we received some 250 bottles (all different vintages, types, regions etc) I basically copied a design from online and made 3 130-bottle racks to store it all + some extra space (materials cost was about 20% of the price essentially the same simple rack was being sold for online.)

I really like wines like cab sauv, sauvignon blanc, chianti, etc and don't generally like any sweet wines. When we were first gifted the wine bottles we actually went to 2-3 "wine and cheese" tasting dinners they host around here to try and cultivate a proper appreciation for fine wines. What we discovered was that wine people are snobs first and foremost (I should have expected this, as my father-in-law is a snob), and cheese connoisseurs are as well so those dinners were the most effete, pretentious things we've ever experienced. We didn't go back after trying it a few times and recognizing we couldn't be those people.

Even the craft beer scene, which should be more down to earth, is sadly filled up with young neck-bearded hipster types who make a lot of craft beer related small group activities unbearable. I still go to the bigger local brewfests and such.

The reason over the past ten years I've gotten so into whiskey tasting is the people are a lot cooler. When we go twice a month to a whiskey tasting group we're part of, first and foremost the people there are whiskey drinkers who wanted to develop an appreciation for fine whiskey. Unlike wine snobs who aren't even really there to relax and get buzzed, but to show off how much they can pontificate whiskey drinkers are there to have a good time, but you don't see the neck-bearded unbearable hipster types at whiskey tastings like you do in the craft beer scene.

CountDeMoney

I think my parents still have the same Miller Lite pony bottles in the fridge since 1981.

Caliga

OvB: Thanks, bro.  Probably gonna pick some of those Irish whiskies that you recommended up today. :ccr

Caliga

Fucking Kroger Wine and Spirits. :rolleyes:

I did get a bottle of Harvey's Bristol Cream, though. :)