The What's In Your Liquor Cabinet? Thread

Started by Caliga, May 26, 2013, 10:18:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: Syt on August 10, 2013, 08:32:06 AM
I picked up a bottle of Knob Creek (small batch, 9 years, 50%vol) today.
Thank you for your support. :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Minsky Moment

Found a bottle of Lagavullin on sale over the weekend.  First time I bought Scotch in a while.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

As of right now:

Jameson
Bombay Sapphire
Alize XO
Wild Turkey 101
Pusser's British Navy
Maker's Mark
Core apple vodka
Tito's vodka
Glen Moray
Sauza light tequila
Bacardi light rum
Malibu coconut rum
Baileys
Seagram's Seven
Some generic creme de cacao
Everclear (but that is just for cleaning my pipe)

The scotch and rum tend to rotate

Caliga

CAL'S REVIEW OF TEACHER'S HIGHLAND CREAM BLENDED SCOTCH WHISKY:

Neat: Nose is spicy and smells of smoky peat, butter, band-aids (!).  Taste is... hmmmm... interesting... vanilla, wood, lemon, apples.  Much, much smoother than I was expecting.  I could practically chug this stuff straight, I think.

Cut with a splash of water: Doesn't seem to do much to the flavor, really.  I taste mostly the same things.  Maybe a little more of the peat and woodiness now.  It's very crisp and light but I felt like it was that way when neat, too.

For some reason I was thinking this stuff would be junk but it's really delicious.  I suspect there's quite a bit of Islay in the blend because I can taste some definite smoky peat notes but it's not overwhelming like with say Laphroaig (which I love, but the smokiness is kind of overwhelming in it).

A 750 ml bottle retails for  ~$30, I think.  I strongly recommend trying it if you like Scotch.

CAL'S GRADE: A-

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Princesca

Popping in to say I do not like Red Stag straight. People mix it with lemonade, and that shit is good. But I would no more drink that straight than I would drink Jim Beam Maple straight, which as far as I'm concerned is really only good boiled down for a completely kickass pancake syrup. I speak from experience. And possibly a nice glaze for a salmon steak?

Bourbon-wise, I generally prefer white dog to bourbon (blasphemy, I know) but when I drink bourbon, I'm a Basil Hayden girl. Lately, at work, I've been mixing Knob Creek and ginger ale. Though at our last "Thirsty Thursday" I went uber girly and did strawberry shortcake vodka with ginger ale. Mock, but it was yummy.

The "Eccentric Elmer" is still my favorite bourbon drink, though.

The Eccentric Elmer is a relatively smooth bourbon cocktail, sweet with a hint of bitterness. Note that it is important to use cranberry juice cocktail, not cranberry juice. If cranberry juice cocktail is not available in your area, substitute cranberry juice and add 1 tbsp of superfine sugar to the drink before shaking.

Serves: 1
Ingredients
1 oz bourbon (Gotta be Old Granddad)
½ oz triple sec
3 oz cranberry juice cocktail
dash Angostura bitters
Garnish
Lime wedge

Directions
Fill a cocktail shaker halfway with ice.
Add bourbon, triple sec, bitters, and cranberry juice cocktail to shaker.
Shake well.
Put a few ice cubes into an old-fashioned glass.
Strain cocktail into glass.
Garnish with lime wedge.

M'sieur can we make one of these this weekend maybe?

You may all return to your regular programming.

And hi. :)

"You know what I hate about deep space? Crap radio stations from two hundred years back. My gosh, we were idiots." - Joker, Mass Effect 2

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines." - Emerson

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

Princesca

And crap, we need to pick up another bottle of Harvey's. I still have a bunch of money I have to spend before year end. I'd say we're pretty well set on bourbon (to put it mildly). Um... we have tequila too. What about brandy? We can get Fundador for free... we have a big bottle of Courvoisier, so we don't need any of that. We have a lot of vodka but it's raspberry vanilla  :ph34r:.
"You know what I hate about deep space? Crap radio stations from two hundred years back. My gosh, we were idiots." - Joker, Mass Effect 2

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines." - Emerson

PRC

Quote from: Caliga on November 22, 2013, 08:53:06 PM

CAL'S REVIEW OF TEACHER'S HIGHLAND CREAM BLENDED SCOTCH WHISKY:

CAL'S GRADE: A-

Teacher's Highland Cream is shit.

garbon

Very little. I need to stock up next week when in Massachusetts. Right now only got:

Kahlua
Aperol
Prosecco
Sherry
Cointreau
Ouzo (which will stay in my apt until I have a house party and trick guests into drinking it)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

PRC

Not drinking this and it's definitely not in my cabinet but thought i'd share.  Took this pic on my phone, it's a the liquor store a few blocks away:

Syt

With prices like that I always wonder, "Why the .29?"
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.