News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

How much did WWI put Europe back?

Started by Razgovory, November 25, 2013, 05:44:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Wait, that's a real thing?  Good God!
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 25, 2013, 04:13:22 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on November 25, 2013, 04:01:39 PM
That fresh daily bread is delicious. Until you have to walk the next day to get more. Going shopping every day...ugh.

Just ride your bike there Pierre.

Or even worse, JUST WALK.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on November 26, 2013, 05:15:31 AM
Could someone hit Tim?  Please.  He deserves it.

He has too many assbuddies and fanbois here.  Like one of Jerry's Kids, you can't just euthanize him.  Too many people would notice.

Siege

Quote from: Razgovory on November 25, 2013, 05:44:22 AM
Something I'd been thinking about lately, and some comments by Shelf made me want to start a thread on it.  How much damage did the first World War do to Europe, economically speaking.  I know that wealth of the average American was greater then his European brethren  even before the war, and it certainly was after.  I imagine the gap widened as a result of the war.  Not only did the have an enormous cost in money, but the slaughter of  generation of men had to have had a devastating effect on the economy as well.

I

War is the engine of civilization and technological development.

Or is it conflict?

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Siege on November 26, 2013, 06:11:59 PM
Something I'd been thinking about lately, and some comments by Shelf made me want to start a thread on it.  How much damage did the first World War do to Europe, economically speaking.  I know that wealth of the average American was greater then his European brethren  even before the war, and it certainly was after.  I imagine the gap widened as a result of the war.  Not only did the have an enormous cost in money, but the slaughter of  generation of men had to have had a devastating effect on the economy as well.

I

Or is it conflict?

It's disorder in general. Doesn't have to be war.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Neil on November 25, 2013, 08:36:35 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 25, 2013, 01:28:32 PM
No, that's just European quaintness.  Like how they still buy fresh bread daily and shit.
I think it also has something to do with availability and security of petroleum supplies.  Most European countries didn't have oil, and so wasting it on huge numbers of trucks was something they couldn't afford to do.

The mid 1930s had a oil glut on the world market. Nothing stopping those countries from getting oil except in most cases, internal politics. Germany, in particular, was so strangling its trade economy that they didn't have enough foreign currency to pay for the raw materials they needed.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Razgovory on November 26, 2013, 05:20:18 AM
Wait, that's a real thing?  Good God!
Come on, it looks way more interesting than their ancient alien psuedohistorical crap. They're actually have fun with it and making a retro scifi mockumentary.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 26, 2013, 06:27:52 PM
Quote from: Neil on November 25, 2013, 08:36:35 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 25, 2013, 01:28:32 PM
No, that's just European quaintness.  Like how they still buy fresh bread daily and shit.
I think it also has something to do with availability and security of petroleum supplies.  Most European countries didn't have oil, and so wasting it on huge numbers of trucks was something they couldn't afford to do.
The mid 1930s had a oil glut on the world market. Nothing stopping those countries from getting oil except in most cases, internal politics. Germany, in particular, was so strangling its trade economy that they didn't have enough foreign currency to pay for the raw materials they needed.
Do you think it would be wise for a country to build their military around a resource to which access could be easily severed at any time?  How did that work out for Japan, whose dependence on US oil exports put it in a position where it had no choice but to start a war it couldn't win?

Embargos, after all, would prevent countries from getting oil.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

MadImmortalMan

They did build their militaries around it, so I guess they're stupid. Using horse wagons wasn't a strategic decision. They did it because they had to and because the Panzers, Luftwaffe and navies needed the fuel.

Neil

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 26, 2013, 08:53:45 PM
They did build their militaries around it, so I guess they're stupid. Using horse wagons wasn't a strategic decision. They did it because they had to and because the Panzers, Luftwaffe and navies needed the fuel.
They were modern armies.  They would have been stupid had they been wasting precious fuel on trucks to cart around the infantry.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 26, 2013, 06:24:23 PM
Quote from: Siege on November 26, 2013, 06:11:59 PM

I

Or is it conflict?

It's disorder in general. Doesn't have to be war.

I'm not sure it's either.  War and disorder are rather costly.  Competition can drive economic and technological progress but it need not be disorderly or chaotic.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Razgovory on November 26, 2013, 10:46:05 PM

I'm not sure it's either.  War and disorder are rather costly.  Competition can drive economic and technological progress but it need not be disorderly or chaotic.

Perhaps I should have said "a less-structured environment" rather than simply "disorder".