News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

US dollar has no more value

Started by viper37, June 02, 2009, 12:21:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

The end is near.
Paul Mylchreest, of the Thunder Road Report, notes that a "very suspicious" 174 tonnes of gold compounds were exported to the Dominican Republican – "that well known hub of the world gold trade". Maybe these gold compounds really are used in gold paint and that artist who normally puts colourful tarpaulins around islands and buildings has painted the whole of the Dominican Republic gold," Mylchreest ponders. "I'll go and check Google Earth."
But, he reckons the transformation of the Dominican Republic into a key staging post in the cocaine trade between South America and the US, is a far more likely.
"Wouldn't it be interesting if drug smugglers have seen the writing on the wall for the paper dollar and will now only accept payment in gold bullion?"
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Berkut

Yeah, that would be terribly interesting.

I think he might be onto something - perhaps drug dealers are the best evaluators of currency values.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Darth Wagtaros

They do have a keen sense of survival.
PDH!

The Minsky Moment

People who want gold as an investment buy gold, gold shares, gold ETFs, even gold jewelry.  But not gold compounds - those are chemical compounds that have industrial, commercial or pharmaceutical uses.

According to USGS data, in 2006 the United States (alone) exported 1.46 million kilograms of gold compounds, of which over 100,000 kg went to the DR.  It appears from the historical data, that the DR has long been a heavy importer of gold compounds from the US - probably because they lack domestic production and transport costs from the US are relatively low compared with say Australia or South Africa.

The authors mentioned are both gold bugs who run newsletters promoting investing in gold.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Siege

There is always someone that comes and stop the fun with facts.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

crazy canuck

Quote from: Siege on June 02, 2009, 04:57:23 PM

You mean like the time JR pointed out that a famous Jewish Philosopher wrote in Arabic?

alfred russel

Quote from: Siege on June 02, 2009, 04:57:23 PM

And it is usually JR.  :mad:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Minsky Moment

If you guys want to go for a few more pages imagining fast-living drug dealers lugging around tons of chemicals around the barrios and secret airstrips of the DR, and tipping nightclub owners and bribing government officials with chloroauric acid, by all means, knock yourself out.

There are good reasons why drug dealers prefer cash.  If they didn't care for dollars I suppose they could always demand euros.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Richard Hakluyt

I had heard that the 500 Euro note was the note of choice for the wealthier drug dealer  :huh:

very portable.

PDH

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on June 02, 2009, 05:37:46 PM
I had heard that the 500 Euro note was the note of choice for the wealthier drug dealer  :huh:

very portable.
Maybe in third world shitholes like Belgium, sure - we are talking about the Caribbean here..
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

jimmy olsen

very portable.
Isn't that because of the size of the denomination though? If the US was printing lots of $500 bills it might be different.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Barrister

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 02, 2009, 06:47:04 PM

very portable.
Isn't that because of the size of the denomination though? If the US was printing lots of $500 bills it might be different.

Having seen the size of the 50s the 500 Euro note must be enormous. :o
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 02, 2009, 04:54:17 PM

The authors mentioned are both gold bugs who run newsletters promoting investing in gold.

Yep. I was going to mention that part.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Barrister on June 02, 2009, 07:09:27 PM

Then wouldn't it make more sense just to hijack the Publisher's Clearing House Sweepstakes checks? The giant ones that Ed McMahon used to deliver? :D
Experience bij!

Berkut

Quote from: Barrister on June 02, 2009, 07:09:27 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 02, 2009, 06:47:04 PM

very portable.

That is why it is so popular - doubles as a blanket when you are stuck out in the jungle waiting for the piper club to land.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned