News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

USS Tennessee

Started by PRC, November 23, 2013, 12:28:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PRC

Came across this picture, thought it was cool and worth sharing. 

USS Tennessee

Wiki Page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Tennessee_%28BB-43%29

Image shows widening after damage sustained at Pearl Harbour.  From wiki: As part of the new policy of the Two-Ocean-Navy, American battleships had been designed within a beam constraint of 108 feet (33 m) in order to pass through the locks of the Panama Canal. After being similarly rebuilt, the Tennessee, the California, and the West Virginia were broadened to 114 feet (35 m) wide, limiting their use in wartime to the Pacific Theater of Operations.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

I remember reading a n article, I think from the Procedings, that argued that the post-Pearl-harbor rebuildings were way over-done, with only modest actual combat effectiveness increases at the cost of diverting materials from more useful projects, and delaying the badly-needed NGFS capabilities of the battleships for nine unnecessary months. 

It is a great picture, though.  She may be fat, but she can sing.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Neil

I wonder if the bulges weren't necessary though?  Not just from an anti-torpedo standpoint, but just because they were adding so much topweight to the ship.  Otherwise, you end up like the British R-class battleships, which by the end of the war were pretty scary.  And the old US battleships were getting a lot more additions than the R-class did, what with those twin 5/38 turrets.

It's hard to fault them for ensuring that the ships were sent out with a decent AA suite, given Pearl Harbour and all that.

That's a really great picture.  I love seeing warships from that angle.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

grumbler

Quote from: Neil on November 23, 2013, 11:09:23 AM
I wonder if the bulges weren't necessary though?  Not just from an anti-torpedo standpoint, but just because they were adding so much topweight to the ship.  Otherwise, you end up like the British R-class battleships, which by the end of the war were pretty scary.  And the old US battleships were getting a lot more additions than the R-class did, what with those twin 5/38 turrets.

It's hard to fault them for ensuring that the ships were sent out with a decent AA suite, given Pearl Harbour and all that.

Yes, the bulges were necessary for stability, given that the ships had so much added topside weight.  The point of the article was that most of that added weight didn't add that much to the ships' effective fighting power, given the missions that they were to be tasked with.  The 5"/25 guns they already had would have, combined with the 40mm batteries they were capable of adding, would have given them sufficient AA power for self-defense, and removing the 5"/50 surface battery could have accommodated the extra light AA and electronics without bulging.  Adding the 5"/38s and keeping the armored conn was overkill.  At least, that's how I remember the argument. 

The counter-argument, I suppose, is that the planners couldn't know what missions the ships would be assigned (they did, after all, end up fighting a surface engagement) and so overkill was worth the cost in time and materials.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

Did the extra widening increase stability with targeting and volley rate of fire?

grumbler

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 23, 2013, 01:14:39 PM
Did the extra widening increase stability with targeting and volley rate of fire?

Actually, no.  The bulging caused a more "stiff" and less predictable roll, and therefor one harder for the FC computers to compensate for.

Bayraktar!

Neil

Quote from: grumbler on November 23, 2013, 01:07:44 PM
Quote from: Neil on November 23, 2013, 11:09:23 AM

Yes, the bulges were necessary for stability, given that the ships had so much added topside weight.  The point of the article was that most of that added weight didn't add that much to the ships' effective fighting power, given the missions that they were to be tasked with.  The 5"/25 guns they already had would have, combined with the 40mm batteries they were capable of adding, would have given them sufficient AA power for self-defense, and removing the 5"/50 surface battery could have accommodated the extra light AA and electronics without bulging.  Adding the 5"/38s and keeping the armored conn was overkill.  At least, that's how I remember the argument. 

The counter-argument, I suppose, is that the planners couldn't know what missions the ships would be assigned (they did, after all, end up fighting a surface engagement) and so overkill was worth the cost in time and materials.
Yeah, I would have a hard time discounting the battleship and a surface battle, given the way things had gone the first 2 1/2 years of World War 2.  Given the size and power of the Japanese battleline, it would be unwise to discount it.  It's easy to look back now and realize that the main examples of bombers attacking warships prior to Force Z were the Luftwaffe, who were laughably underarmed and unprepared, but at the time the USN can't be blamed for playing it safe.  It would have sucked for the ship to be sunk again, and they might have judged that there wouldn't be much need for the Tennessee in the Atlantic.  After all, the RN and USN had a dozen or so obsolete battleships between them for gunfire support in the Atlantic.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

grumbler

Quote from: Neil on November 24, 2013, 06:58:28 PM
Yeah, I would have a hard time discounting the battleship and a surface battle, given the way things had gone the first 2 1/2 years of World War 2.  Given the size and power of the Japanese battleline, it would be unwise to discount it.  It's easy to look back now and realize that the main examples of bombers attacking warships prior to Force Z were the Luftwaffe, who were laughably underarmed and unprepared, but at the time the USN can't be blamed for playing it safe.  It would have sucked for the ship to be sunk again, and they might have judged that there wouldn't be much need for the Tennessee in the Atlantic.  After all, the RN and USN had a dozen or so obsolete battleships between them for gunfire support in the Atlantic.

I don't think that anyone knowledgeable would argue that the bulging was bad because the ships couldn't serve in the Atlantic - they could, after all, just sail around South America.  Wikipedia articles aren't really worth quoting, as their authors frequently make this kind of mistake.

Bayraktar!

Neil

I didn't read the wiki article.  :(

I also wanted to make sure that I insulted airpower, in the form of the Luftwaffe.  Because Ide is wrong.

grumbler

Quote from: Neil on November 24, 2013, 07:12:41 PM

I also wanted to make sure that I insulted airpower, in the form of the Luftwaffe.  Because Ide is wrong.

Don't insult the Luftwaffe; they were the first to prove that strategic bombing was a really stupid way to waste resources, and, thus, that Ide is wrong.  Tactical air power, under the control of the war fighter, is a very useful thing, indeed.  The Luftwaffe's flaws were caused by its not being under army control, and therefor it lacked direction and was overly bureaucratic.  Had Hitler made the Luftwaffea part of Das Heer, I believe it would have been a successful organization.

Bayraktar!

Neil

Quote from: grumbler on November 24, 2013, 07:23:54 PM
Quote from: Neil on November 24, 2013, 07:12:41 PM

Don't insult the Luftwaffe; they were the first to prove that strategic bombing was a really stupid way to waste resources, and, thus, that Ide is wrong.  Tactical air power, under the control of the war fighter, is a very useful thing, indeed.  The Luftwaffe's flaws were caused by its not being under army control, and therefor it lacked direction and was overly bureaucratic.  Had Hitler made the Luftwaffea part of Das Heer, I believe it would have been a successful organization.
They were also sorta bad at attacking ships.  The Stuka was pretty crap compared to the carrier dive bombers being used in the Pacific, and the He-111 was an awful torpedo bomber.  Can you imagine if the Germans had ever tried a cross-Channel invasion?  Slaughter.

PDH

[David Attenborough] Now we see the bait has been laid, in an amazing way, to lure in the prey.  Countless years of evolution have gone into this trap, and the creator has made it perfectly. [/David Attenborough]
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

grumbler

Quote from: Neil on November 24, 2013, 10:24:52 PM
They were also sorta bad at attacking ships.  The Stuka was pretty crap compared to the carrier dive bombers being used in the Pacific, and the He-111 was an awful torpedo bomber.  Can you imagine if the Germans had ever tried a cross-Channel invasion?  Slaughter.
The Luftwaffe was a ground-support type air force, and wouldn't be good at attacking ships (the USAAF and the RAF were bad at that, as well).  The Stuka was crap compared to the Dauntless, but was a better dive bomber than the Val (longer-ranged, bigger load, and better-protected).  The Germans never had an effective aerial torpedo, so all their torpedo bombers were crap, not just the He-111.

Bayraktar!

Neil

The early Stukas, of the sort used in the Battle of Britain (before they put the improved engine in them) where inferior to the Val in speed and range.  I will give you the bombload, armour and the torpedo.  Looking at wiki, it actually give better figures for the Val in range and speed even over the Junker Jumo Stuka, but I wonder if they might be comparing an unloaded Val to a loaded Stuka.