News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What was your favorite toy?

Started by Savonarola, November 22, 2013, 07:16:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Playmobiles and my Apple IIe

A big moment of my young life was when my father got me this for my birthday 1987:

Ah yeah. 
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on November 25, 2013, 12:19:33 AM
Playmobiles and my Apple IIe

A big moment of my young life was when my father got me this for my birthday 1987:

Ah yeah.

Was never a big Bards Tale guy, though I had a copy (sadly pirated).  :Embarrass:

The big moment for me was I had spent the whole summer umpiring little league games, and got my paycheque.  The guy who gave it to me laughed and said "Just don't spent it all in one place".  I looked around, guiltily, because I was going to do exactly that - spend it on Ultima V.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DontSayBanana

Seems like the kids who went for the "realistic" cars use Matchbox as a catchall, while the kids who went for the "cool-looking" (cartoony, IMO) cars use Hot Wheels as a catchall.

Most of mine were actually Matchbox, but being a fireman's kid, I also had pretty much the entire line of Majorette Sonic Flashers (much to my parents' chagrin).
Experience bij!

CountDeMoney

Yeah, DSB's kinda right on that:  Matchbox was the kind of manufacturer that you'd be able to score a station wagon or my grandfather's Ford LTD from, and Hot Wheels made stupid weirdo shit like street racers you'd never see on the streets of your Matchbox City Suitcase play set.

Gimme Matchbox anytime.  Hated Hot Wheels.  What kind of police car has a jacked up rear suspension and an exposed carburetor?  Stupid.

Corgi was for the rich kids who could afford British imports with impunity.  :(   I only had a few Corgis, and I kept them separate.  Nobody was ever allowed to play with them.  Be goddamned if I let some snot-bubbled kid scratch Kojak's Buick.

Ed Anger

I had some awesome metal airplanes. A corsair, me-109 and a p-51. Kept them in fairly good condition, until I let my nephew play with them outside. He took a hammer to them.

In fact, he destroyed about every toy he touched. So people, preserve your old toys.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Tonitrus

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 25, 2013, 03:54:59 PM
I had some awesome metal airplanes. A corsair, me-109 and a p-51. Kept them in fairly good condition, until I let my nephew play with them outside. He took a hammer to them.

Somewhere in time, 12-year old Ide is crying.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 25, 2013, 10:05:08 AM
Yeah, DSB's kinda right on that:  Matchbox was the kind of manufacturer that you'd be able to score a station wagon or my grandfather's Ford LTD from, and Hot Wheels made stupid weirdo shit like street racers you'd never see on the streets of your Matchbox City Suitcase play set.

Gimme Matchbox anytime.  Hated Hot Wheels.  What kind of police car has a jacked up rear suspension and an exposed carburetor?  Stupid.

Corgi was for the rich kids who could afford British imports with impunity.  :(   I only had a few Corgis, and I kept them separate.  Nobody was ever allowed to play with them.  Be goddamned if I let some snot-bubbled kid scratch Kojak's Buick.

They were expensive over here as well.

Though I recall the few modern dinky vehicles I had were damn expensive.

edit:

Grrr, I had this set, the guy on ebay wants over $500 for hit:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DINKY-297-POLICE-SET-ALL-ORIGINAL-AND-BOXED-/200993156949?pt=UK_ToysGames_DiecastVehicles_DiecastVehicles_JN&hash=item2ecc202f55

<_<
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Brazen

Chemistry set. Junior Breaking Brazen.

As an only child and the youngest of dozen of cousins, I inherited as many cars as dolls.

One of the Matchbox families lived locally in North London and friends of mine used to go to the kids' parties. Bearing in mind this was in the local "Millionaires Row", they bought the house next door, knocked it down and turned it into an indoor swimming pool with a walkway from the main house. Classy.

Syt

Another (cheap) toy I really liked were Styrofoam planes. Those came in little paper bags and were about 6 inch or so long. Most of them consisted of four parts: main hull (one flat, color printed bit of thin Styrofoam), one wing, the horizontal stabilizer, and the plastic propeller.

The models were all WW2: Spitfire, Me-109, P-38 etc. What made them cool was that you could actually let them fly, and you could adjust small cut outs on the wings to (attempt) giving the plane direction for maneuvers.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Brazen

My favourite stocking filler was Magic Plastic which my cousins and I used to get from Hamleys, the giant toy store in London, every Christmas. You'd put a blob of liquid plastic on the end of a tube and blow it into a balloon. When you got more adept, you could make complex shapes and get a grown up (!) to blow smoke into them.

Pedrito

Quote from: Brazen on November 26, 2013, 05:52:50 AM
My favourite stocking filler was Magic Plastic which my cousins and I used to get from Hamleys, the giant toy store in London, every Christmas. You'd put a blob of liquid plastic on the end of a tube and blow it into a balloon. When you got more adept, you could make complex shapes and get a grown up (!) to blow smoke into them.
Oh yeah I loved them too! They were called Crystal Ball in Italy. I forgot about them until some time ago when I found a couple tubes in a toy shop, brought them home and my kids went crazy about them  :)

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Maladict

Quote from: Syt on November 26, 2013, 05:36:47 AM
Another (cheap) toy I really liked were Styrofoam planes. Those came in little paper bags and were about 6 inch or so long. Most of them consisted of four parts: main hull (one flat, color printed bit of thin Styrofoam), one wing, the horizontal stabilizer, and the plastic propeller.

The models were all WW2: Spitfire, Me-109, P-38 etc. What made them cool was that you could actually let them fly, and you could adjust small cut outs on the wings to (attempt) giving the plane direction for maneuvers.

:yes: