News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What was your favorite toy?

Started by Savonarola, November 22, 2013, 07:16:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

LEGO, Star Wars figures, RoCo Minitanks, toy soldiers.

When I was very little we had cowboy figures ... no idea the brand. They were mix/match kind of figures - torsos, heads, guns, belts etc. could be mixed and matched and they were somewhat realistic looking. From the same line we also had some Roman Legionnaires and a few figures of the French Foreign Legion. But since they had a lot of little parts (hands, heads, guns ...) a lot of the bits were lost quickly until we chucked them all out).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

MadImmortalMan

I had a set of plastic army men that came with a mat map of Anzio. I brought it to my grandpa's house and had him explain the battle to me and where he was. He got a silver star at that battle. Of all the soldiers in my pack that I had available, he said he was the one crawling on his stomach---up the beach to throw a grenade in the German position. WTF.

Yeah, at first I thought it would be cooler if grandpa was the guy with the bazooka, but that was when things kind of clicked for me about what those guys did.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Admiral Yi

11B4V

Quote from: Syt on November 23, 2013, 12:36:06 AM
LEGO, Star Wars figures, RoCo Minitanks, toy soldiers.

When I was very little we had cowboy figures ... no idea the brand. They were mix/match kind of figures - torsos, heads, guns, belts etc. could be mixed and matched and they were somewhat realistic looking. From the same line we also had some Roman Legionnaires and a few figures of the French Foreign Legion. But since they had a lot of little parts (hands, heads, guns ...) a lot of the bits were lost quickly until we chucked them all out).

Marder IFV
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

The Brain

If I have to pick one probably Playmobil.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Vricklund

Probably Lego but later on it was Anna. Still have the Lego in my basement for my kids to enjoy, Anna skipped town.

Sophie Scholl

GI Joe and LEGO were probably my top two and the top two in my neighborhood.  We all pooled our collections to create massive campaigns and towns.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Agelastus

Lego.

So much so that I still occasionally buy some (I won an auction for a small set that I hadn't had as a kid from E-Bay last week - finally completed my collection of wall sections from the Eighties Castle Range!  :D)
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

CountDeMoney

Josephus

I also had a really cool yellow Tonka truck that carried a bulldozer on its trailer. I loved that indestructible machine.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Maladict

1. Lego
2. toy cars
3. my dad's H0 trains and my 1/700 waterline ships.

Maximus

Probably lego, but we didn't have any sets, just blocks, however my favorite things to play with weren't toys.

Not that either, you pervs

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

mongers

Quote from: Maladict on November 23, 2013, 12:53:42 PM
1. Lego
2. toy cars
3. my dad's H0 trains and my 1/700 waterline ships.

:cool:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Savonarola

Quote from: Agelastus on November 23, 2013, 07:09:55 AM
Lego.

So much so that I still occasionally buy some (I won an auction for a small set that I hadn't had as a kid from E-Bay last week - finally completed my collection of wall sections from the Eighties Castle Range!  :D)

I have a friend who is in a group that builds massive Lego structures.  They've done models of some of Detroit's buildings.  Here is the mid-town area:

The large building in the back is the Fisher Center; which has a number of shops and a theater.  The group put so much attention into the details you can even read the marquee of the theater if you move in:

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock