And there was much rejoicing. (Monty Python reunion)

Started by The Larch, November 21, 2013, 11:11:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pedrito

b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Syt

Most expensive tickets I saw were GBP 440, I think.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on November 29, 2013, 12:10:17 PM
Most expensive tickets I saw were GBP 440, I think.

Those had to be the "meet the guys" platinum packages.

Syt

I kinda see what Gups is saying, though, especially with bands. Some of the bands I grew up with or loved as a teen (and still do) are now well into their 50s, and it'd just not be the same as it would be when seeing them in their prime.

One exception would be New Model Army - Justin Sullivan, the lead singer can still go through a 2+ hour set without breaks, with a voice as good as when he was young and enough energy to get the crowd going (at least he was a few years ago; he was over 50 at the time, though).

I saw Billy Idol a few years ago performing at Donauinselfest (a free open air festival in June in Vienna). He looked his age, and he took it admittedly slow despite going through a lot of his works from his solo days and his time with the band Generation X. At the same time it seemed like an almost intimate concert despite the massive crowd, because of that introspective mood he created. One of my favorite concerts.

So it really depends on what Monty Python are going for - new material or rehashing the old and familiar (or a mixture of both).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

mongers

Quote from: Syt on November 29, 2013, 12:18:57 PM
I kinda see what Gups is saying, though, especially with bands. Some of the bands I grew up with or loved as a teen (and still do) are now well into their 50s, and it'd just not be the same as it would be when seeing them in their prime.

One exception would be New Model Army - Justin Sullivan, the lead singer can still go through a 2+ hour set without breaks, with a voice as good as when he was young and enough energy to get the crowd going (at least he was a few years ago; he was over 50 at the time, though).

I saw Billy Idol a few years ago performing at Donauinselfest (a free open air festival in June in Vienna). He looked his age, and he took it admittedly slow despite going through a lot of his works from his solo days and his time with the band Generation X. At the same time it seemed like an almost intimate concert despite the massive crowd, because of that introspective mood he created. One of my favorite concerts.

So it really depends on what Monty Python are going for - new material or rehashing the old and familiar (or a mixture of both).

So the 'integrity' of the performer is important ?

If this python get together is solely about the money, it's more likely to suck than if the guys were also genuinely trying to recreate something 'real' ?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Larch

I believe that they've already said that they'll do a mix of classic numbers and new stuff, and specifically ruled out doing some of their old material, mostly the ones they're not in any physical shape to perform again. Cleese particulary mentioned the Silly Walks sketch as one they wouldn't be able to do anymore.

crazy canuck

Certainly it wont be the same as seeing them live 30 years ago.  But it will certainly be better than sitting at home watching a performance from 30 years ago.   The live experience can never be captured on a screen. 

Maladict

It looks like they're really going to make an effort to do something new, or 'update' some of their old stuff.
Even though they're well aware most of the fans just want them to regurgitate the old stuff.

Malthus

Heh, I was a big New Model Army fan back in the day. Saw them live, too.  :)

My three favorite live performances of all time are:

1. Santana - well, I was a teen, peaking on LSD, and I'd just met two girls I was having an awesome trip with, so maybe that doesn't count.  :lol: I still remember them doing this truly awesome version of "soul sacrifice", though. The band, not the girls.

2. Gogol Bordello - just came as a complete surprise to me. A friend of my wife coerced us into going to see "her friend's band", which I had never heard of before and I assumed would suck. They were awesome. After, she got us backstage to hang out with them (it's a long story) which was very odd indeed - as it turned out, she made us go along beasically as chaperones, becaise she was now married. Very strange evening that was.

3.  New Model Army - just an awesome, awesome set, full of energy.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Larch

Quote from: Pedrito on November 29, 2013, 05:24:48 AM
Fri 18th, block 110, two seats for an obscene price  :lol:

But Tamas guarantees he will buy them from me in case I can't go, so I' safe  ;)

L.

I bought tickets for the same day. :w00t: Languish meet!  :lol:

I'll be up in the sky, block 404.  :P

The Larch

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 29, 2013, 11:58:23 AM
What are you guys paying for tickets?

Mine were 95 quid each, plus service and facility charges. 106.75 pounds for ticket in total.

mongers

Quote from: The Larch on November 30, 2013, 06:29:06 PM

But Tamas guarantees he will buy them from me in case I can't go, so I' safe  ;)

L.

:cool:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Pedrito

Quote from: The Larch on November 30, 2013, 06:29:06 PM

L.

This is a good idea. That day or the following saturday, I chose the friday show so I could attach a weekend in London  :)

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot: