And there was much rejoicing. (Monty Python reunion)

Started by The Larch, November 21, 2013, 11:11:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Quote from: Valmy on November 25, 2013, 05:18:27 PM
A world tour?  That sounds pretty rough for guys in their seventies.

Meh...it can be done. Roger Waters toured The Wall for two years and he's in his 70s. Look at The Stones. Trick is they won't do too much back to back gigs, and days off after travel, etc.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Gups

I love Python, but have no  interest in going to a show full of material I'd seen a dozen times performed by blokes way past their prime and/or dead who are doing it without any enthusiasm. Seriously, you've be much better off with a DVD of Live at the Holywood Bowl.

The idea of actually flying to anotehr country to watch this bemuses me totally. I assume that folk just want to be able to say "I've seen 'em live". Same goes for all the geriatric rock bands.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Maladict

Quote from: Gups on November 26, 2013, 08:31:27 AM
I love Python, but have no  interest in going to a show full of material I'd seen a dozen times performed by blokes way past their prime and/or dead who are doing it without any enthusiasm. Seriously, you've be much better off with a DVD of Live at the Holywood Bowl.

The idea of actually flying to anotehr country to watch this bemuses me totally. I assume that folk just want to be able to say "I've seen 'em live". Same goes for all the geriatric rock bands.

Well, I'm certainly not expecting a show on par with the '70s (or the Spanish Inquisition). But the chemistry may well still be there. And as I wasn't around back then and too young when they last performed it is the next best thing. I already have the DVDs.

As for travelling to another country, it wouldn't be the first time I've used a concert or show as an excuse to spend a few days in London.

Tamas

Quote from: Maladict on November 26, 2013, 08:53:06 AM
Quote from: Gups on November 26, 2013, 08:31:27 AM

Well, I'm certainly not expecting a show on par with the '70s (or the Spanish Inquisition). But the chemistry may well still be there. And as I wasn't around back then and too young when they last performed it is the next best thing. I already have the DVDs.

As for travelling to another country, it wouldn't be the first time I've used a concert or show as an excuse to spend a few days in London.

Pretty much. I am not expecting to see them in their prime, but I do still expect the chemistry, and, frankly, yes, I will be happy to know (and tell) that I managed to see them live.

Gups

Quote from: garbon on November 26, 2013, 08:48:20 AM
Isn't someone smug?

Smug about not going to watch something? :blink:

Even on my paltry list of achievements, that comes pretty low down.

garbon

Quote from: Gups on November 27, 2013, 03:13:29 AM
Quote from: garbon on November 26, 2013, 08:48:20 AM
Isn't someone smug?

Smug about not going to watch something? :blink:

Even on my paltry list of achievements, that comes pretty low down.

Yeah several people posted about how they wanted to go, were trying to purchase tickets and then you come in posting about how laughable people like that are.

Also I don't know how you have missed the idea that you can be smug about not doing things. :blink:  or rather you are being smug with regards to how superior you are over such idiots.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Gups

That's not being smug. If your interpretation were right (and it wasn't), I was being condescending.

And anyway, I just expressed my lack of interest and explained why. I spend lots of money on leisure activities that would bemuse others - like spending significant amounts of money on watching inferior quality football. I wans't laughing at anyone or expressing my superiority over them.

CountDeMoney

Englishness is often interpreted as smugness.  It's just the way you people come across.  We can hear that accent in your typing.  :P

garbon

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on November 27, 2013, 08:25:25 AM
What a jackass. Won't even admit to being rude.

:lol: That's why they're so great at playing bad guys in Hollywood.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 27, 2013, 08:25:11 AM
Englishness is often interpreted as smugness.  It's just the way you people come across.  We can hear that accent in your typing.  :P

I don't get that at all from some of our other British posters though maybe from the little baronet. :D

Certainly not from Jos, though maybe his is trying...

Maladict

Quote from: garbon on November 27, 2013, 08:25:25 AM
What a jackass. Won't even admit to being rude.

To be fair, he did take back the gratuitous insult.

Maladict

Another five shows announced in London, sale starts Friday.  :)