News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

So my dad just lost his job.

Started by Razgovory, November 18, 2013, 04:04:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

That sucks.  Shitty time of the year, at that.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Razgovory

No clue what we are going to do.  Kinda taken by surprise.  His birthday is on Wednesday.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

OttoVonBismarck

Caliga

Quote from: Razgovory on November 18, 2013, 04:07:06 PM
No clue what we are going to do.  Kinda taken by surprise.  His birthday is on Wednesday.
Anybody can lose their job at any time, unfortunately.  That's why I always stay in touch with recruiters, former bosses, co-workers, etc.  Hopefully your dad had made a point of doing that?
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on November 18, 2013, 05:21:37 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 18, 2013, 04:07:06 PM
Anybody can lose their job at any time, unfortunately.  That's why I always stay in touch with recruiters, former bosses, co-workers, etc.  Hopefully your dad had made a point of doing that?

Always Be Networking

My God I have a hard enough time staying in touch with people I actually like.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on November 18, 2013, 05:26:02 PM
Always Be Networking

Yeah.  Honestly I typically don't like to do it, but you just have to these days.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Barrister

Quote from: Caliga on November 18, 2013, 05:28:33 PM
Quote from: Valmy on November 18, 2013, 05:26:02 PM
Always Be Networking

Yeah.  Honestly I typically don't like to do it, but you just have to these days.

How much effort are we talking?

I'll fire off an email every year or two to a few people to see how they're doing, but that's about it.  Mind you the Alberta criminal bar is pretty small, so it's not as if I don't run into those people anyways...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josquius

You guys need to start subsidence farming. It seems to be what the future holds so better get it on the ground floor.
██████
██████
██████

mongers

Shareholder Value FTW:

US stocks dip after Dow hits 16,000

US markets have been enjoying record high levels

The US Dow Jones index broke through the 16,000 level for the first time on Monday before giving up some of the gains in late trade.

At one point the Dow touched 16,030.28, but it ended 14 points up on the day at 15,976.

The S&P 500 index rose above 1,800 for the first time, before a late sell-off pushed it down 6.65 points to 1,791.53.

Stocks have been buoyed by hopes that the US central bank will continue with its economic stimulus programme.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24992558

Do you think he considers the welfare of the workers in the firms stocks he trades ?

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Exactly as much as those workers think about him.

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 18, 2013, 06:31:59 PM
Exactly as much as those workers think about him.

It's not a reciprocal relationship, workers can't affect his government welfare, whereas his trades can affect the future and direction of the company employing the workers. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

You're spouting nonsense, but i think it's disrespectful to shit on Raz' thread.