Main Menu

Fallout 4 coming

Started by Syt, November 17, 2013, 02:16:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on November 21, 2013, 02:20:48 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on November 21, 2013, 11:42:13 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 20, 2013, 07:01:51 PM
Honestly, I would prefer for a new post apocalypitic RPG game instead of using the old Fallout mythology, but that isn't likely to happen so I'll be happy with with Fallout 4.

Wasteland 2, Nuclear Union, Metro LL, etc

I'd like something that isn't made in Russia as well.  I mean, any game that takes place is Russia is post-societal collapse by default.

The Last of Us seems to have some outstanding reviews.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

Whatever they do, I would like to see a revamping of the Hardcore mode. Still way too much carring capacity.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Razgovory

I liked the Hardcore, and the attention paid to the quests and world building that New Vegas had over Fallout 3.  Hopefully they follow in that vein.  I'd also like to see better AI.  It was obvious they just used the AI from Oblivion.  That's okay when everyone is armed with swords and bows, but when you have guns it would be nice if the AI had different strategies then "Stand there and Shoot", or "Run directly at the player".

I do remember an oblique reference from some Bethesda on how much fun the gambling was in Fallout: New Vegas.  Hopefully they looked at New Vegas and put in what made that a game great into Fallout 4.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Quote from: Caliga on November 21, 2013, 06:15:49 AM
As much as I like the Fallout games, the 'fantasy' stuff in them like the giant scorpions and the super mutants do annoy me.

Ditto.  I made my peace with it, but it came close to destroying the game for me when I first started playing Fallout 3. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Queequeg

Did you even play FO 1 & 2?
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on November 27, 2013, 11:12:07 AM
Quote from: Caliga on November 21, 2013, 06:15:49 AM
As much as I like the Fallout games, the 'fantasy' stuff in them like the giant scorpions and the super mutants do annoy me.

Ditto.  I made my peace with it, but it came close to destroying the game for me when I first started playing Fallout 3.

It's a game set in the aftermath of WWIII taking place in the 1950s.  Of course it's going to be fantasy.

I found the Fallout setting, complete with 1950s era sci-fi B movie concepts like giant irradiated scorpions, to be more entertaining than a generic and realistic post-apocalyptic setting.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

11B4V

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on November 27, 2013, 11:39:01 AM
It's a game set in the aftermath of WWIII taking place in the 1950s.  Of course it's going to be fantasy.

I found the Fallout setting, complete with 1950s era sci-fi B movie concepts like giant irradiated scorpions, to be more entertaining than a generic and realistic post-apocalyptic setting.
Yeah, I think some people just didn't understand what the games were trying to do.  They were not at all intended to be "realistic."  I can understand people being tired of the joke, but don't suffer from that, myself.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

derspiess

Quote from: 11B4V on November 27, 2013, 11:44:24 AM
Quote from: derspiess on November 27, 2013, 11:24:02 AM
Quote from: Queequeg on November 27, 2013, 11:22:36 AM
Did you even play FO 1 & 2?

No.

You should. They can be had for pretty cheap.

I actually have them.  Just never felt compelled enough to play them.  No way they'd be as immersive as Fallout 3 & NV are.

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on November 27, 2013, 11:39:01 AM

I get that.  I'd just prefer some of the fantasy monsters dialed back a little.

Razgovory

The fantasy monsters work okay for Fallout.  In the original game, it was sort of a riff on traditional fantasy games.  There were knights, a Thieves guild, a sinister cult, beast men forgotten ruins and an ancient evil.  But instead of traditional fantasy setting there it was post-nuclear California.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.