Richie Incognito's Accidental Racism: An Apologia

Started by garbon, November 17, 2013, 10:59:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

I was reading the intro to New York magazine which was the article in question down below. I was a little surprised as well about the support of racism which lead me to the Atlantic piece below.

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2013/11/richie-incognitos-accidental-racism-an-apologia/281320/

QuoteFormer NFL player Nathan Jackson makes a full-throated defense of Richie Incognito over at New York. It's worth focusing on Jackson's notion that Richie Incognito was well within his rights to call a black man a half-nigger:

QuoteThrough the TV screen, Richie Incognito looks like the big jerk. But we don't understand the context, intent, or perception of the joking that goes on in that locker room, or whether it was perceived as joking in the first place. The voice-mail in question sure sounds like a joke, albeit a bad one: It allegedly involves Incognito using the N-word and offering to poop in the dude's mouth.

Of course, no one but ESPN's Adam Schefter takes the mouth-defecation threats seriously. I mean, imagine the logistics there. But that Incognito called Martin a half-N-word is worth discussing. Out in society, the word nigger still excites and appalls, and a white man who is unlucky enough to utter it, even in jest, is forever labeled a racist. But inside an NFL locker room, the meaning of the word has washed out. There are white men who are so close to their black brothers that their lexicon is identical, and they communicate with the same phrases, jokes, and nicknames.

Some in the media were quick to label Incognito a racist, but some of his black teammates defended him. Every NFL locker room is full of proud black men who have a keen eye for the intentions of their white peers. If Richie Incognito said the N-word in a malicious way, those teammates would have taken care of the problem.

The thinking here is unfortunate. If I am found on camera inveighing against  "hook-nosed Jews," to call myself "unlucky" would be deflection and self-serving understatement. The word "unlucky" presumes that virtually all adult white men can be found, at some point, in full-on Michael Richards-mode and those of us who would shame them for it are the real culprits.

This is accidental racism, which is to say white innocence, at its finest. Richie Incognito did not choose to employ the most incendiary slur in the American lexicon, so much as he was caught by some peeping Tom (who happened to be the victim.) Riley Cooper didn't physically threaten a black security guard with a phrase that has accompanied some of the worst acts of terrorism in our country's history; some rude voyeur videoed Cooper relieving himself in public.

It's that same white innocence that allows for Jackson's claim of brotherhood and his invocation of "proud black men." We have heard a lot about the peculiar context of the locker-room. I think we should remember the peculiar context in which the locker-room exists. The locker-room is a workplace controlled--almost entirely--by white people. In this sense we are all in locker-rooms, workplaces with different rules, but with white control remaining constant. I see no reason why the NFL should be immune to the basic laws of American gravity. On the contrary, players, like all workers, have interests--among them, securing food for their families and loved ones. Players, not unlike workers, do this by subverting individual interests in favor of the interests of their employers.

I highly doubt that the invocation of "nigger" has "washed out" of NFL locker-rooms. More likely, it is that players simply can't afford to be bothered fighting over it. This is not so different than any other work-place. White people relying on black people to be their conscience will very often be disappointed. We come to work to put dinner on the table. Charging me with taking my work-time to list the reasons why calling me a "half-nigger" might not be a very good idea is the magic that transforms your ignorance into my burden.

The limits of using work-place friendships to analyze something that happened outside of the workplace, are evident in Jackson's notion that "nigger" is the ultimate statement of fraternity. White people who actually spend time around black people--not black individuals whom they know from work, but black people with their families, in their communities, with their parents--will quickly notice that using "nigger" actually isn't a barometer of closeness. I'm black and I don't call even some of my best friends nigger. They, unlike me, are offended by it. Black humans, like most humans, are different from each other. But to grasp this, you must have to have relationships with black humans that go beyond your job.

That is why black players defending Incognito is irrelevant. Those players are free to invite Richie Incognito to call their voicemails and threaten their lives, and threaten their mothers, and threaten to shit in their mouths, and call them half-niggers, and when it all becomes public hold a press conference in which they laud Incognito as the second coming of Lincoln.

But Martin doesn't have to live by their standards. Arguing that he should because, like, these other black dudes I work with it said it was fine, is myopia.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

Martin absolutely has to live by those standards.  He's the one who wanted to join them.  Now, he'll never play in the NFL again.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

OttoVonBismarck

I like the Atlantic but I intentionally avoid anything Ta-Nehisi Coates and Conor Friedersdorf write. They are both one trick idiots.

Neil is right in his hyperbole for once, to work in the NFL you basically need to be a mouth-breathing gorilla, which is exactly what Richie Incognito was. Martin's problem is he was too well brought up and educated to do that, and he didn't fit in.

Berkut

QuoteThe locker-room is a workplace controlled--almost entirely--by white people.

O RLY?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

garbon

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on November 17, 2013, 12:54:25 PM
I like the Atlantic but I intentionally avoid anything Ta-Nehisi Coates and Conor Friedersdorf write. They are both one trick idiots.

Yeah, I do think he does reveal himself to be a ridiculous commentator.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Berkut on November 17, 2013, 01:22:14 PM
QuoteThe locker-room is a workplace controlled--almost entirely--by white people.

O RLY?

I found that an interesting comment as well.

Admiral Yi

Terrible article.  The writer *could* have asked some pro athletes questions about race in the locker room, or spent some time in one observing, but instead he announces everyone must be like the upper middle class professional writer blacks he hangs out with.

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 17, 2013, 02:23:51 PM
Terrible article.  The writer *could* have asked some pro athletes questions about race in the locker room, or spent some time in one observing, but instead he announces everyone must be like the upper middle class professional writer blacks he hangs out with.

I've never seen Coates do any hard journalism. He's purely an opinion writer that I suspect the Atlantic keeps on solely for diversity reasons. It's edgy to have the son of a Black Panther with a militant (but firmly upper middle class tinted) black power streak all of his own.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on November 17, 2013, 03:07:22 PM
I've never seen Coates do any hard journalism. He's purely an opinion writer that I suspect the Atlantic keeps on solely for diversity reasons. It's edgy to have the son of a Black Panther with a militant (but firmly upper middle class tinted) black power streak all of his own.

I've got no problem with opinion pieces.  For example that post-feminist writer about women's issues has some great opinion pieces in The Atlantic.  The problem here is with the quality of thinking.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 17, 2013, 01:50:46 PM

O RLY?

And it's absolute bullshit, believe me.  Not one non-gangsta song is allowed.  I keep wanting to sneak to the iPad on the wall and put on some Steely Dan or Nirvana.  If I could get away with it & still see the reaction, I would.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on November 18, 2013, 11:26:54 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 17, 2013, 01:50:46 PM

O RLY?

And it's absolute bullshit, believe me.

Why, of all people, would we believe you?

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on November 18, 2013, 11:28:16 PM

Because I've been in an NFL locker room many times.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on November 18, 2013, 11:30:46 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 18, 2013, 11:28:16 PM

Because I've been in an NFL locker room many times.

And that makes you worthy of trust?

Ideologue

Quote from: derspeissBecause I've been in an NFL locker room many times.

Do you like movies about gladiators?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

derspiess