To what extent has democracy in the US been subverted by money?

Started by Berkut, July 15, 2014, 10:18:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on September 09, 2014, 11:41:40 AM
This article struck me as very strange. Americans don't want to see these ads and now "it is wrong" and yet we have no choice but to mindlessly watch/follow them?

This comment strikes me as very strange.  Why are the only choices (1) having negative ads financed by artificial people from outside the election area or (2) you have no choice but to mindlessly watch/follow them?  Neither of those are options discussing in the very article you chose to quote.

And I don't know how you can say so adamantly that the article "is wrong."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on September 09, 2014, 12:06:40 PM
This article struck me as very strange. Americans don't want to see these ads and now "it is wrong" and yet we have no choice but to mindlessly watch/follow them?

This comment strikes me as very strange.  Why are the only choices (1) having negative ads financed by artificial people from outside the election area or (2) you have no choice but to mindlessly watch/follow them?  Neither of those are options discussing in the very article you chose to quote.

I never said that those were the only two choices. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Berkut

The manner in which the supposed champions of the amendment cast it in a strictly partisan light makes me think they don't really care to see it passed either.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

KRonn

QuoteDemocratic Senators said Monday the Constitution must be amended, because people like Charles and David Koch must be stopped from flooding TV with negative ads Americans don't want to see. 

I don't get it, why this article, or even the legislation as Dem legislators are quoted is only targeting the Repubs, and of course the ebil Koch brothers. The Dems do the same thing, George Souris and other Dems like him, Unions, etc. The article seems so "off" because if this legislation goes through it should impact Dems and Repubs alike. And it's even more disingenuous because they all like the negative ads and use those heavily, and they often work!

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on September 09, 2014, 12:31:49 PM
Quote from: grumbler on September 09, 2014, 12:06:40 PM

I never said that those were the only two choices. :)
True.  You didn't even offer choices.  Choice is added by implication.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Siege

Bottom line, we are fucked and the progressive movememt is going to maintain our GDP low and let China win by Domination or Diplomacy.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Siege on September 09, 2014, 04:05:08 PM
Bottom line, we are fucked and the progressive movememt is going to maintain our GDP low and let China win by Domination or Diplomacy.

That's why we need to start spending more on space exploration!!! /Tim
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?