News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ford-Class Carrier Launched

Started by Malthus, November 13, 2013, 11:27:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Forgive if there is already a thread on this. Lots of gigantic-ship eye-candy here.

http://www.businessinsider.com/navys-most-advanced-carrier-launches-2013-11

Isn't it rather tempting fate to name the ship after Ford? You'd expect it to sink at launching.  :P

This line was funny:

QuoteAlong with its groundbreaking architecture and network systems, the carrier is the first ever to use electromagnetic force — the same as in modern roller coasters — to launch jets into flight.

Nice to see the nation's most advanced weapons are catching up with its amusement parks in tech.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ideologue

I am so disappointed that the giant swimming rabbit attacked Jimmy Carter and ruined my intended joke. <_<
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Malthus

Quote from: Ideologue on November 13, 2013, 11:30:01 AM
I am so disappointed that the giant swimming rabbit attacked Jimmy Carter and ruined my intended joke. <_<

Have to make it about this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Jimmy_Carter_(SSN-23)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Brazen

Time-lapse film from keel-laying to christening - four years in four minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ozS36fM1EU

Caliga

Quote from: Malthus on November 13, 2013, 11:27:02 AM
Isn't it rather tempting fate to name the ship after Ford? You'd expect it to sink at launching.  :P
I hope you're slandering the President and not Ford Motor Company here :yeahright:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

grumbler

Nice to see the nation's most advanced weapons are catching up with its amusement parks in tech.  :D

Amusement park nerds are more numerous, less expensive, and cause less distress when lost in testing the new tech than aircraft.  :secret:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Malthus

Quote from: grumbler on November 13, 2013, 02:08:04 PM

Amusement park nerds are more numerous, less expensive, and cause less distress when lost in testing the new tech than aircraft.  :secret:

You mean "children"?  ;)

KRonn

Forgive if there is already a thread on this. Lots of gigantic-ship eye-candy here.

This line was funny:

QuoteAlong with its groundbreaking architecture and network systems, the carrier is the first ever to use electromagnetic force — the same as in modern roller coasters — to launch jets into flight.

Now they'll be able to have some leisure time, just add roller coasters on the party deck!   :D

Viking

This line was funny:

referencing electromagnetic force to launch airplanes is about as informative as saying the steam catapults were nuclear powered.

in other news, the first task of the captain of the USS Ford was to order the cancellation of the scrapping of the USS R.M. Nixon a Quaker Class Espionage and  Surveillance Vessel  :P
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

mongers

Quote from: grumbler on November 13, 2013, 02:08:04 PM

What was that whooshing sound?

Then again it could have just been an aircraft being lofting into the air by the new system. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

grumbler

There would never be an HMS Mongers, because not just every aircraft, but pretty much everything else as well, would go right over its head.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Malthus

Quote from: Caliga on November 13, 2013, 01:43:14 PM
I hope you're slandering the President and not Ford Motor Company here :yeahright:

Personally, I'm waiting for a ship named after our Mayor, Rob Ford.

It would run on booze and crack - unfortunately, it would capsize frequently.  :D

mongers

Quote from: grumbler on November 13, 2013, 03:27:30 PM
There would never be an HMS Mongers, because not just every aircraft, but pretty much everything else as well, would go right over its head.

You've heard of submarines, right ?  :unsure:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

grumbler

Quote from: mongers on November 13, 2013, 03:30:53 PM
You've heard of submarines, right ?  :unsure:
Never heard of 'em.*  Tell me all about them.

*I'm feeding you Seedy. 

Bayraktar!

Zanza

Question to the military experts: Are carriers actually a viable weapon against an enemy with a similar technology? Or are they too vulnerable then to move close enough to the coast of such an enemy to operate efficiently?