Should I write a novel? [Give me recomendations]

Started by Siege, November 11, 2013, 12:12:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siege

I'm thinking about a writing a novel.

There is no way its going to be straight from facts, so the way I see it I got two choices, J R R Tolkien's fantasization of his WW1 experience, or Joe Haldeman's science-fictiazation of his Vietnam ride. Right now I am very undecided. I could go Alt-Hist...

I want to stay away from the whole "Universe creation" bullshit. Pseudo-history might work.

So far, I think I got two possible scenarios on the back of my head. The adaptation of all my personal misexperiance to a pseudo-history Israel during the pre-dynastic/tribal period of the conflict with the Filistines/Sea peoples/atlantians from Santorini, OR, a sci-fi Sefaradi Kingdom in space descendant from 5000  jews kidnapped by aliens from medieval Al-Andaluz after a nasty progrom over a thousand years ago.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Eddie Teach

You should write about some liverals plotting to destroy America and how an all-American Sephardi boy foils their plot.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Grinning_Colossus

I'd rather read the milscifi ancient Hebrew allegory. Most people don't even know what a Sefaradi is.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Siege

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on November 11, 2013, 12:21:01 AM
I'd rather read the milscifi ancient Hebrew allegory. Most people don't even know what a Sefardi is.

This is my first impression. Plus no universe building.
Lots of historical research though.
I think its worth it. There are a few Israeli novels about the period, but I don't think it is burnt out.

jimmy olsen

I believe you have many experiences which would could be used to write a good novel. But I don't know if you have the writing chops to accomplish it.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Siege

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 11, 2013, 12:25:03 AM
I believe you have many experiences which would could be used to write a good novel. But I don't know if you have the writing chops to accomplish it.

My wife will proof read all my drafts. I already got her on board.
She is excited about finally getting to know what happens on deployments.
I might have to tone it down.

Grinning_Colossus

Well, I think retaining the military science fiction aspect would make it more accessible. 300 but with Israelites might not appeal to a wide audience, either, but if you switched things around and make it the civilizational history of an analogous people but in space with power armor... that could attract some attention.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Razgovory

Quote from: Siege on November 11, 2013, 12:28:38 AM

My wife will proof read all my drafts. I already got her on board.
She is excited about finally getting to know what happens on deployments.
I might have to tone it down.

Never tone it down.  You should write more about your actual experiences.  It could beFull Metal Jacket meets Lolita.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

I can see Siege writing something like the beginning of the Flowers for Algernon.

Siege

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on November 11, 2013, 12:29:45 AM
Well, I think retaining the military science fiction aspect would make it more accessible. 300 but with Israelites might not appeal to a wide audience, either, but if you switched things around and make it the civilizational history of an analogous people but in space with power armor... that could attract some attention.

You might be right.
If I go with pseudo-history my plan is a 5 book series:
1- Ur. The main character (MC) travels to Ur (Kassite dynasty) as an exchange student with the family of his forefathers, falls in love, loses virginity, when finish school joins the war against the Elamites and the Middle Assyrian Empire.

2- Israel. The MC returns home, gets married to his sweetheart who had waited for him, joins the war against the Philistines. Lots of crazy shit (real life operations culminating with Operation Accountability-like), wife is killed by Philistine raiders, wife's little sister loses leg, the MC goes crazy, doesn't agree with Judge-Shof'tim (Yitzhak Rabin) peace with the Philistines, gets chased off from Israel by his own family that worked for the Shomer Shof'tim (Judge's guard = Mossad in RL)

3- Egypt. The MC travels to Egypt, doesn't know what to do with his live. Gets help from one of his brothers and one his cousins on the orders of his dad from Israel. Meets nice beautiful jewish girl in local community. Gets married 2nd time. Still doesn't know what to do with his life. Joins the Pharaoh's army, deploys to Kush, crush kushites.

4- Egypt. The MC can't get wife pregnant. Deploys to Kush for a second time. Enforces the Pharaoh's peace. Not too crazy. Lots of kushite camel diplomacy.

5- Egypt. The MC finally gets the wife pregnant, have beautiful boy. Deploys to Nubia. Crazy shit goes down, not as crazy but interesting enough. Lots of raids and camel diplomacy. Ends with local egyptian pull out from Nubian territory.

Sophie Scholl

Siegebreaker:  The New American Immigrant Dream.   Wonder at the story of one man's voyage from his ancestral homeland, and our great ally Israel, to the bright and promising shores of the greatest country in the world, The United States!  Marvel at his dedication and loyalty to his new nation as he joins the United States Army and brings the fight for freedom, democracy, and the American way back to his home region!  Thrill to his accounts of his multiple tours served in some of the most vicious and brutal fighting done to help ensure Iraqi Freedom, Afghani compliance, and overall global security and peace!  Be inspired by his dedication to the true ideas and ideals of the Republic and his loyalty to his new country and it's true patriots in the modern Conservative movement! -Coming soon to Walmart book aisles, Glenn Beck cruises, Fox News Special Reports, and talk radio airwaves!-
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Viking

Quote from: DGuller on November 11, 2013, 01:21:57 AM
I can see Siege writing something like the beginning of the Flowers for Algernon.

Autobiographical?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Viking

Quote from: Siege on November 11, 2013, 01:22:40 AM
Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on November 11, 2013, 12:29:45 AM

You might be right.
If I go with pseudo-history my plan is a 5 book series:
1- Ur. The main character (MC) travels to Ur (Kassite dynasty) as an exchange student with the family of his forefathers, falls in love, loses virginity, when finish school joins the war against the Elamites and the Middle Assyrian Empire.

2- Israel. The MC returns home, gets married to his sweetheart who had waited for him, joins the war against the Philistines. Lots of crazy shit (real life operations culminating with Operation Accountability-like), wife is killed by Philistine raiders, wife's little sister loses leg, the MC goes crazy, doesn't agree with Judge-Shof'tim (Yitzhak Rabin) peace with the Philistines, gets chased off from Israel by his own family that worked for the Shomer Shof'tim (Judge's guard = Mossad in RL)

3- Egypt. The MC travels to Egypt, doesn't know what to do with his live. Gets help from one of his brothers and one his cousins on the orders of his dad from Israel. Meets nice beautiful jewish girl in local community. Gets married 2nd time. Still doesn't know what to do with his life. Joins the Pharaoh's army, deploys to Kush, crush kushites.

4- Egypt. The MC can't get wife pregnant. Deploys to Kush for a second time. Enforces the Pharaoh's peace. Not too crazy. Lots of kushite camel diplomacy.

5- Egypt. The MC finally gets the wife pregnant, have beautiful boy. Deploys to Nubia. Crazy shit goes down, not as crazy but interesting enough. Lots of raids and camel diplomacy. Ends with local egyptian pull out from Nubian territory.

no, dude, set it during the 25th dynasty.. focus on the assyrian invasion of israel and judah and on how, under the watch of an nubian pharoah israel was destroyed. Add some social political commentary on how the nubian pharaoah forces the unwilling hero to take medicine and then steals his money to pay for it.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Eddie Teach

If he goes with the sci-fi angle, his liverals can actually resemble a liver.  :cool:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?