I apporve of the Death Penalty for Murder
1 (2%)
I apporve of the Death Penalty for Treason
2 (4.1%)
I apporve of the Death Penalty for Murder & Treason
8 (16.3%)
I apporve of the Death Penalty for Murder, Treason, & Rape
0 (0%)
I approve of the Death Penalty for all of the above and ... (please list)
1 (2%)
I am against the Death Penalty in all cases
26 (53.1%)
I find the Death Penalty morally just, but believe the courts incapable of reliably judging innocent and guilt, and thus am against it in practice
11 (22.4%)

Total Members Voted: 47

grumbler

Quote from: fhdz on November 11, 2013, 08:54:59 PM
I'm not opposed to the death penalty in principle, but I'm opposed to the way it is applied here.
Then you approve of torture, according to the Simplogue way of thinking.  :lol:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DGuller

I'm not opposed to the death penalty in principle, but I'm opposed to the way it is applied here.
Too deadly?

Barrister

I support the Canadian justice system, and think we'd be able to deal with capital punishment in a just and humane fashion. -_-
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Barrister on November 12, 2013, 03:56:00 PM
I support the Canadian justice system, and think we'd be able to deal with capital punishment in a just and humane fashion. -_-
Have you ever wished that it was an option?
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 12, 2013, 04:04:06 PM
Have you ever wished that it was an option?

Yes, but not on any of my own files. -_-

But Robert Pickton and Paul Bernardo really deserve to fry.

OttoVonBismarck

My views on the DP are a little convoluted.

I think for some crimes, concepts like justice and equity, where you match an appropriate equitable punishment to a crime, demand death. ("Justice demands death.")

However, as a moral issue I don't agree with the State taking someone who isn't an active threat to the State or its people and executing them. Which would seem to conflict with my first statement, and it does if you believe that I would only argue the State behave in a moral way. I think morality and proper State behavior are not always synonymous. I think the State often must acting amorally to protect the interests of its citizens, and sometimes immorally to do so.

As a practical issue I believe there are too many problems with the American justice system to continue capital punishment. It is not applied equitably and it's too important a thing to apply based on how much money you can afford for a lawyer. In an adversarial system that is a hard thing to avoid with any sentencing outcome.

It is massively expensive, there is no reason a robust appeals process should take 25-30 years (as was the case in California before they stopped executing people regularly.) If you're going to do the thing, you give the condemned a full and robust set of appeals but you create a special scheduling/fast track system for capital defendants that can exhaust their appeals with little unnecessary delays based on court schedules etc. Texas actually does a good job of getting people through the system faster, but is also probably one of the least just implementations of the death penalty. I'd want a system that was both fast and just, which isn't easy to design or operate.

In a hypothetical science fiction scenario where we have machines that can read perfect memories from a defendant's brain and we find from those memories evidence the person planned and committed a murder for example, I'd be fine with marching them off to some sort of futuristic execution machine 24 hours later that disintegrates them or etc.

Scipio

Oppose in all cases. Cause Jesus said so.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Ideologue

Quote from: grumbler on November 12, 2013, 03:17:33 PM
Then you approve of torture, according to the Simplogue way of thinking.  :lol:

LOL FUMBLER
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

crazy canuck

We have a system with its fair share of wrongful convictions.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 12, 2013, 04:46:44 PM

*had*

We then had a number of commissions that fixed those wrongful convictions.  I'm unaware of any notable wrongful conviction cases in the last, oh, 10-20 years.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on November 12, 2013, 04:49:45 PM

*had*

We then had a number of commissions that fixed those wrongful convictions.  I'm unaware of any notable wrongful conviction cases in the last, oh, 10-20 years.

All criminal justice systems have inherent imperfections.  We do the best we can on imperfect information but there is no way to guarrantee that someone will not be wrongfully convicted. 

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Camerus

Support for egregious cases of treason.

Josquius

Keep it theoretically on the books for the worst of the scummiest scum bag mass murdering cases but in practice pretty much never use it.
██████
██████
██████

mongers

Quote from: Barrister on November 12, 2013, 04:49:45 PM

*had*

"Well he would say that, wouldn't he?"
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"