I apporve of the Death Penalty for Murder
1 (2%)
I apporve of the Death Penalty for Treason
2 (4.1%)
I apporve of the Death Penalty for Murder & Treason
8 (16.3%)
I apporve of the Death Penalty for Murder, Treason, & Rape
0 (0%)
I approve of the Death Penalty for all of the above and ... (please list)
1 (2%)
I am against the Death Penalty in all cases
26 (53.1%)
I find the Death Penalty morally just, but believe the courts incapable of reliably judging innocent and guilt, and thus am against it in practice
11 (22.4%)

Total Members Voted: 47

jimmy olsen

I voted number 7, what say you Languish?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: katmai on November 10, 2013, 11:59:37 PM
apporve?

ap·prove  (-prv)
v. ap·proved, ap·prov·ing, ap·proves
v.tr.
1. To consider right or good; think or speak favorably of.
2. To consent to officially or formally; confirm or sanction: The Senate approved the treaty.

EDIT: Whoops. That's what I get for cutting and pasting on a Korean computer.  :lol:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 11, 2013, 12:02:52 AM
EDIT: Whoops. That's what I get for cutting and pasting on a Korean computer.  :lol:

I don't think you can blame the keyboard for this bit though.

"incapable of reliably judging innocent and guilt"
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tonitrus

Why no option for murder/rape but not treason?  :mad:

jimmy olsen

Quote from: garbon on November 11, 2013, 12:05:45 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 11, 2013, 12:02:52 AM

I don't think you can blame the keyboard for this bit though.

"incapable of reliably judging innocent and guilt"
I originally wrote that sentence as "discerning between the innocent and guilty" and then pared it down. Obviously, I was too hasty.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Prediction: Seedy, Ed and PDH approve the death penalty applied to Tim, preferably in some vivid fashion such as being thrown from the Tarpeian Rock or stuffed in a woodchipper.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Grinning_Colossus

Against because exculpatory evidence might appear after the sentence has been carried out, and, moreover, whenever the state can easily indefinitely remove the person from the general population, it's simply unnecessary. Research on its deterrent effect has been inconclusive, and all things being equal a society in which the state is expected to never kill anyone unless it's absolutely necessary (e.g. war) is probably a slightly safer society.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 11, 2013, 12:12:24 AM
Prediction: Seedy, Ed and PDH approve the death penalty applied to Tim, preferably in some vivid fashion such as being thrown from the Tarpeian Rock or stuffed in a woodchipper.
Ooh! Classy!

1 Karma Chameleon point

Siege

IUff, big question.

I support the death penalty for murder and rape, no question asked after culpability have been proven beyond doubt.

Now treason, you would have to define treason.

If treason can be proven to lead to the death of service members or civilian citizens, definitively yes. If not...

Death is a serious matter. I don't think the State should take it lightly, and I mistrust the "State".

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Iormlund

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!