Musings on a new computer - advice PLZ & THX

Started by Barrister, November 08, 2013, 01:09:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

So my current computer is a 2008 Mac Pro, quad core Xenon processor, AMD 5770, 6GB RAM (used to have 10 GB, some burned out).  I actually triple boot between OS X, Win XP and Win 7.  I find I spent a bit more time in Win 7 than OS X, and never any time any longer in Win XP.

Sooner or later I'll need to retire this baby, but I'm not sure which way to go. :unsure:  I have three quite conflicting interests.

1. I like Apple.  Always have.  However I haven't always owned a Mac.  In fact there was a huge span from about 1995-2008 where I didn't have a Mac.  Because...

2. I like to use my computer to play games.  If I'm being honest I really don't have the time to any longer - maybe an hour at the end of the day.  But I like the ability to play them.  And while OS X gaming has gotten miles better than it was a decade ago, plenty of games can only be done through Windows. But now there's one more consideration...

3. Man - laptops have gotten GOOD the last few years.  My wife has a MacBook Pro that rocks.  I was recently given an HP Ultrabook at work that's the first Windows laptop that doesn't suck for me.  I'm really tempted to just get a laptop to replace my Mac Pro tower.

So I bought  the Mac Pro because it was the no-comprise combination of #1 and #2 - a Mac with enough drive bays, and a powerful enough graphics card, to also play games on.  But the new Mac Pro is just to damn expensive for me (starting at $3,000) to go that route again.

So what should I get?  My thoughts are...

A. Get an 27" iMac.  Unlike in 2008 they have graphics cards probably powerful enough to game on (GT 755M or 775M). 1 TB drive is big enough to install windows on.  Means my current 27" monitor goes to waste, and they're fairly expensive (up to $2,000).  Is obviously not mobile.  So this would combine 1 & 2 from above.

B. Get a MacBook Pro.  With flash storage there will NOT be room to install Windows.  The Intel Iris graphics should be powerful enough to play any game released for Mac.  Is still fairly expensive (Again up to $2,000, which is the most I'll consider, but would like to pay less).  But being able to take in anywhere would be really, really nice.  This would combine 1 and 3.

C. Get a Windows laptop.  In my mind at least I can design an almost perfect Windows laptop - take a clean business look Ultrabook, low weight, with a discrete graphics card good enough for gaming, and I might overlook the lack of OS X.  And it would be much cheaper.  But does such a thing exist?  I would be embarrassed to take an Alienware or the like out in public.  If it exists, this would combine 2 & 3.

I dunno, I'm just rambling.  But any thoughts from you lot?  What are you using for your computing needs these days?  Anyone migrated to mobile-only?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Caliga

I think you should build a Windows desktop like your idol Cal. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Grey Fox

Have you considered getting a MacBook Air & a fairly powerfull Desktop PC dedicated to gaming only?

I use Neogaf for much of my PC building advices.

Read the OP of this : http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=504567
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 08, 2013, 01:34:41 PM
Have you considered getting a MacBook Air & a fairly powerfull Desktop PC dedicated to gaming only?

It's not a bad point. :hmm:

But here's the trouble.  I can convince Mrs. B that I need a new computer.  I could convince her that I want to replace my Mac Pro with a laptop, but "dock it" in my basement office.

But if I went to her and said "I want to buy a new computer, AND I want to buy a laptop" she'd say that's too much money - that I can use her laptop when I need to.  Even if, objectively, it cost the same amount.

And by the way, is it ever a nightmare to shop Windows laptops. :bleeding:  So many differing names, and you really have to drill down to try and find the specs.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on November 08, 2013, 01:59:35 PM
And by the way, is it ever a nightmare to shop Windows laptops. :bleeding:  So many differing names, and you really have to drill down to try and find the specs.

:lol:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on November 08, 2013, 02:02:37 PM

No, seriously.  I'm trying to find laptops with the new Haswell architecture, but good luck trying to figure that out...

Barrister

Quote from: Barrister on November 08, 2013, 02:05:45 PM

No, seriously.  I'm trying to find laptops with the new Haswell architecture, but good luck trying to figure that out...

By process of deduction Haswell laptops don't seem to actually exist yet (except for MBPs).

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on November 08, 2013, 02:30:30 PM

By process of deduction Haswell laptops don't seem to actually exist yet (except for MBPs).

Haswell gaming laptop : http://www.originpc.com/gaming/laptops/eon15-s/

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 08, 2013, 02:36:08 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 08, 2013, 02:30:30 PM

Haswell gaming laptop : http://www.originpc.com/gaming/laptops/eon15-s/

What an ugly, ugly computer.  :yucky:

When I say they "don't seem to exist", a bunch have been announced, but you can't buy them yet on any major online retailer.

For example, I discovered a ASUS Zenbook (UX302) that, if I were to buy a Windows laptop, sounds like what I'd be looking for - low weight, Haswell processor, discrete graphics good enough to run modern games (on medium settings).  But you can't actually find one for sale.

Yes, things are extremely quiet at work - why do you ask? :unsure:

Grey Fox

Just convince your wife mate.

You need to buy the gaming desktop first anyway.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 08, 2013, 02:44:14 PM
Just convince your wife mate.

You need to buy the gaming desktop first anyway.

I'm blaming MRs B, but that's not actually right or fair.

*I* think I can't justify buying both a gaming computer, and a laptop just for me.  And, since we're talking about a MBA which starts at $1,000, it would cost as much or more money than to just buy one computer.

Grey Fox

True.

What you need right now is a new gaming ring(like everyone else actually, this new console generation is going to hurt us all) but not a new mac.

Barrister

I really do appreciate how the only advice you guys gave was the option I wasn't interested in - a full PC gaming machine. <_<

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on November 08, 2013, 04:04:52 PM
I really do appreciate how the only advice you guys gave was the option I wasn't interested in - a full PC gaming machine. <_<

I gave you the advice to buy both a mac laptop & a desktop PC.

All your other options are not viable.

Ed Anger

Beeb, you all get the cheap windows laptops up there? There are some screamers advertised down here in the 5 to 7 hundred dollar range. Sure the graphics are intel 4000's, but the do moderate gaming well.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive