And we're back!

Main Menu

ECB and Inflation

Started by The Minsky Moment, November 06, 2013, 02:06:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Norgy on February 10, 2015, 06:56:59 AM
Benny Hitler, car salesman.
"Yes, you can actually fit five Jews in the ashtray".

An ashtray?  You pro-tobacco monster!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Liep

The cost for new loans are down to 161kr a month ($24.38) for 1,000,000kr ($151405.05) thanks to a negative interest of 0.53%

Holy housing bubble!
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Sheilbh

This still makes no sense to me:
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

It's a club.  You use them bash people in the head with.  Presumably it's one to hit people with a "Negative yield", I guess that's the length of the club in each country.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Zanza

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 26, 2015, 11:54:20 PM
This still makes no sense to me:

It allows governments to reduce their deficit and debt. I would expect it to stay like this for a while. As long as it costs interest to deposit money at the ECB, negative yields can be the less costly option.
There is now more than 2 trillion in EZ debt with negative yield.

Sheilbh

But surely the worry is why do large funds want to sit on deposit, or with negative yield bonds? Are there so few growth opportunities? Do the markets think there's going to be a prolonged period of low growth and/or deflation (a la Japan)? Or is it because they need to build up their capital requirements? Why is there so little appetite for risk?

As I say I still don't understand and there's signs the EZ could be on the turn. Is this just part of the 'new normal'?

QuoteIt allows governments to reduce their deficit and debt.
Doesn't that depend on the rate of deflation as well?

If the markets will pay you to borrow money and there's any infrastructure work needing doing, now's the time to do it, especially for the countries on the left of that chart.
Let's bomb Russia!

Martinus

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 27, 2015, 01:29:08 AM
But surely the worry is why do large funds want to sit on deposit, or with negative yield bonds? Are there so few growth opportunities? Do the markets think there's going to be a prolonged period of low growth and/or deflation (a la Japan)? Or is it because they need to build up their capital requirements? Why is there so little appetite for risk?

Aren't large funds mainly pension funds? I believe they are heavily regulated as to what they can invest in and are mandated to put at least a part of their money into safest assets. It could very well be that German bonds and the like are the only such available asset.

And yes, at least in Europe right now, a lot of private equity funds are sitting on money, as there are so few good targets.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Martinus on February 27, 2015, 01:41:46 AM
Aren't large funds mainly pension funds? I believe they are heavily regulated as to what they can invest in and are mandated to put at least a part of their money into safest assets. It could very well be that German bonds and the like are the only such available asset.
That would also explain why certain big companies have been able to have negative interest bonds. What's safer than Nestle?
Let's bomb Russia!

Martinus

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 27, 2015, 01:48:03 AM
Quote from: Martinus on February 27, 2015, 01:41:46 AM
That would also explain why certain big companies have been able to have negative interest bonds. What's safer than Nestle?

Yup. Many pension funds, especially in Western countries, have also an "ethics" requirement. Likewise, Islamic sovereign funds cannot invest in some businesses. All of this makes the investment decisions not entirely driven by profit.

Sheilbh

As awful as this possibly this, that's why I plan to invest my (putative, imaginary, future) pension savings into tobacco and booze companies  :Embarrass: :P
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Is that chart showing negative nominal or real yields?

Zanza

Few investment opportunities as and a glut of risk-averse savings by an affluent and aging society. The problem we have is over-saving. Which is a obvious result of capital based pensions.

MadImmortalMan

These types of bonds should not be counted as valid for reserve purposes at this point.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 27, 2015, 02:04:11 AM
As awful as this possibly this, that's why I plan to invest my (putative, imaginary, future) pension savings into tobacco and booze companies  :Embarrass: :P

:D

The companies or their products.  :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Martinus

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 27, 2015, 02:04:11 AM

You just do it to have an excuse that, when you are buying smokes and booze, you are indirectly helping your pension. :P