NM Police turn traffic stop into forced colonoscopy

Started by Syt, November 06, 2013, 12:44:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scipio

Quote from: grumbler on November 06, 2013, 07:32:54 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on November 06, 2013, 07:27:06 AM
Dude should be glad, a colonoscopy on the dime of the police department. Those things are not cheap! Sure it was inconveniant but those things always are.

Why would you think the police paid for this, when the OP says the exact opposite?
Cause he's French Canadian, and reading anything is his fourth language.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Scipio

What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Grey Fox

Syt

Meanwhile, in Texas:

Texas state troopers caught on camera probing women's privates aren't isolated incidents: lawyers

QuoteThe first video was graphic enough. Two women, as shown in a Texas state trooper's dash cam recording, are probed in their vaginas and rectums by a glove-wearing female officer after a routine traffic stop near Dallas.

A few days later, a second video surfaced. It was an eerily similar scenario, but this time the traffic stop was just outside Houston, and with different troopers. Two women, pulled over for allegedly speeding, are subjected to body cavity searches by a female officer summoned to the scene by a male trooper.

Unlike the earlier tape, this one had clear audio. Yells can be heard as the female trooper shoves her gloved finger inside one woman.

In both invasive incidents, the female troopers don't change gloves between probes, according to the horrified victims.

Texas officials say the searches are unconstitutional. So do attorneys for the shaken women, who have filed federal lawsuits.

But lawyers and civil rights advocates tell the Daily News these cavity searches are really standard policy among the Texas Department of Public Safety's state troopers, despite their illegality — not to mention that they were conducted on the side of the road in full view of passing motorists.

[...]

Videos linked in the article.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Valmy

We are just trying to keep our people safe from...erm...what exactly might these women be carrying in their Vaginas again?  Anchor babies?

Anyway it is not some sort of shocking news to know law enforcement is pretty out of control here.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

The sad truth is a lot of the wrong people are attracted to cop jobs.  So you get stupid shit like this.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

Quote from: Habbaku on November 06, 2013, 11:25:50 PM
They found a whole mess of drugs, though, right?

QuoteNo ticket was issued following the lengthy traffic stop in July 2012, and no drugs were found. Angel Dobbs, 38, told The News that trooper David Farrell pulled her over on a Friday night, while she was driving to Oklahoma with her niece, Ashley, 24.

On the patrol car's loudspeaker, he ordered her off the highway and onto a side road, she said.

He told the women they had thrown cigarette butts out of the car's  windows. That wasn't true, Dobbs said, but she didn't argue. A long series of questions followed: Where were they going? Who were they going to see? Why were they going? Why was her niece with her?

Then he said he smelled marijuana. The women denied having any. He took the women's IDs and went to his patrol car.

"He was back there for like 25 minutes," Dobbs said. "My niece said 'What's taking him so long?'"

They were ordered out of the car and told to stand in a field by the roadside. Farrell told them he had called for a female office to come and search them, Dobbs said.

"Do you have anything in your socks? In your shoes? In your underwear?" Dobbs said she was asked. Then trooper Kelley Helleson showed up.

At this point Dobbs started protesting, saying the situation was ridiculous and that she had no drugs and had done nothing wrong. The female officer told her to "shut up and turn around," Dobbs said.

She did as she was told. Then the trooper's gloved hand went down her sweat pants in the back and in the front.

The trooper's attorney has said there was no penetration and that both women submitted to the searches.

Dobbs disagrees: "She knows there was penetration. On both sides. Along the side of the road. She knows what she did."

The dash cam video shows the aunt and niece alternately standing in front of Farrell's patrol car, holding their arms out while Helleson pats their breasts and puts her hand down the front and back of their pants.

"They didn't even search my socks or my shoes," Dobbs said. "I just couldn't fathom how you could search someone's butt and their vagina, and not search their socks or shoes."

Finally, and after Dobbs passed a field sobriety test, she was given a written warning for littering and told she could go.

"We were assaulted on the side of the road," Dobbs said.

She complained to the troopers' supervisor in August. In October, investigators from the Texas Rangers interviewed her about what happened. She was frustrated it had taken more than two months to get a response.

Then she got a lawyer. Her lawsuit was filed in December. "We had a press conference the next day," Dobbs said. In January, the case was presented to a Dallas County grand jury. Helleson was later charged with two counts of sexual assault and was fired.

Farrell was indicted on one charge of theft, over a missing bottle of Vicodin from the aunt's purse, and was suspended pending an internal investigation.

"Until the news got involved, nothing happened," Dobbs said.
/quote]
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

DGuller

Quote from: Malthus on November 06, 2013, 01:00:19 PM
Quote from: viper37 on November 06, 2013, 11:25:47 AM
Quote from: Caliga on November 06, 2013, 07:43:20 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on November 06, 2013, 07:27:06 AM
Dude should be glad, a colonoscopy on the dime of the police department. Those things are not cheap!
I thought healthcare in Canada was free? :hmm:
Only if you're willing to wait.

This guy wouldn't even wait for a stop sign. And he got instant health-care out of it.  :D
:XD:

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Scipio on November 06, 2013, 09:15:57 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on November 06, 2013, 09:14:01 PM
What are my first 3?
Outrage, particularly bad dialectal spoken French or even joual, and spoken English.

Fixed it for you :)

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Grey Fox

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on November 07, 2013, 03:07:04 AM
Quote from: Scipio on November 06, 2013, 09:15:57 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on November 06, 2013, 09:14:01 PM
What are my first 3?
Outrage, particularly bad dialectal spoken French or even joual, and spoken English.

Fixed it for you :)

It's true that France french is pretty atrocious.

Darth Wagtaros

Don't mess with Texas? Because the cops are batshit crazy?
PDH!