News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Tudors

Started by Queequeg, November 01, 2013, 10:58:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 04, 2013, 07:54:08 PM
Cavill was an unknown when the show began, making him a riskier casting choice.

:yes:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Queequeg on November 04, 2013, 07:48:43 PM
Yeah but I bet Cavill has inspired more fantasies than Myers.

Pretty homoerotic there Squeelus.

Queequeg

I realized that after I posted, but still think I was right. What is Superman if not a modern Renassiance prince?
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Queequeg

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 04, 2013, 07:56:52 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on November 04, 2013, 07:48:43 PM
Yeah but I bet Cavill has inspired more fantasies than Myers.

Pretty homoerotic there Squeelus.
Cavill is an extremely handsome man. People who don't admit that are stupid.
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Queequeg on November 04, 2013, 07:58:21 PM
Cavill is an extremely handsome man. People who don't admit that are stupid.

I demand you take Beeb's homoboner test.

Queequeg

Queequeg

Okay, Yi. Would you rather look like you or look like Henry Cavil?

Camerus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 04, 2013, 07:40:55 PM
I imagine they were trying to grab the soap opera audience.  Women watch TV too.

Women don't like ruggedly handsome men?

Queequeg

So is Hillary Mantel the only person to do serious drama during the Tudor period well? Everything else seems kind of like middlebrow bullshit.

garbon

I'd think serious people would focus on researching/writing history.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Queequeg

I guess the Tudor period is one of maybe three or four historical periods with really mass appeal, so there's a lot of not very good stuff about it.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Queequeg on November 04, 2013, 08:24:50 PM
So is Hillary Mantel the only person to do serious drama during the Tudor period well? Everything else seems kind of like middlebrow bullshit.
Tom Stoppard did serious comedy very well in Shakespeare in Love. A Man for all Seasons is superb as well.

I also love Mantel's A Place of Greater Safety set in the French Revolution :mmm:
Let's bomb Russia!

Queequeg

I said "drama" so as to exclude Shakespeare in Love and Blackadder II. Will have to rewatch Man for All Seasons.

Gups

I guess the Prince and the Pauper is out as well?

Mantel's works are novels, not dramas. I'm sure there must be loads of novels set in Tudor times. Some people liek Phillipa Greofory's stuff, though I've not read it myself.