Main Menu

The Tudors

Started by Queequeg, November 01, 2013, 10:58:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 04, 2013, 11:20:17 AM
He's a total pretty boy.

Yep, though now he often looks sleazy.

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

I liked him in Velvet Goldmine. That was a fun movie. In large part because it depicted the era my English textbooks in school were from.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

Quote from: Syt on November 04, 2013, 11:28:23 AM
I liked him in Velvet Goldmine. That was a fun movie. In large part because it depicted the era my English textbooks in school were from.

I like him there and Vanity Fair.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Drakken

I liked him when he sniped Liam Neeson in the head with a Lee Enfield.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Malthus on November 04, 2013, 10:56:31 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on November 04, 2013, 04:15:18 AM
Quote from: Malthus on November 01, 2013, 02:31:47 PM
Quote from: Valmy on November 01, 2013, 02:24:39 PM
Quote from: Malthus on November 01, 2013, 02:22:23 PM
It just felt miscast. King Henry was always a huge guy, allegedly good-looking when young, a total ogre when older. He was never a pretty-boy type.  :lol:

He was hardly the only one.  One you think the entire English Aristocracy was selected by a kingdom wide 'Hot or Not' vote rather than by birth.

True, but Henry's ogre-esque appearance (as well as temper) later in life is sorta central to the plot here.  ;)
Yeah, but I think casting someone pretty makes the point of how he physically (and morally) degenerates. Especially because the public image of Henry is entirely fixed by his corpulent later life. Every documentary I've seen on the Tudors makes a big deal of how handsome and svelte he was as a young man because it's so against how we imagine him.

Sure, he was allegedly handsome as all hell when younger - but he was always a big, physically imposing guy: over six feet tall, and big in proportion. An athlete with a trim figure but broad-shouldered and well-muscled who beat opponents to a pulp in jousting, was first at the death in hunting, etc.

This phyiscality was what people noted about him - very positively when he was young: he looked every inch a king.
I wonder if he inherited that from his mom.  Edward IV was supposedly equally big and physically imposing in his youth and went to waste as an older adult.  I don't think anyone has denied Elizabeth of York being Edward IV's child, simply that she may have been a bastard along with her brothers.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on November 04, 2013, 03:10:32 PM
I wonder if he inherited that from his mom.  Edward IV was supposedly equally big and physically imposing in his youth and went to waste as an older adult.  I don't think anyone has denied Elizabeth of York being Edward IV's child, simply that she may have been a bastard along with her brothers.

Probably more a question of diet than genetics.  Fresh fruit and vegetables were considered peasant's food. 

Queequeg

I think Henry Cavill would have been better for the lead. He's a better actor.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Queequeg

And less inherently trashy.

Watching the 1998 Elizabeth. Opinions?
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Phillip V

Quote from: Queequeg on November 04, 2013, 07:05:22 PM
And less inherently trashy.

Watching the 1998 Elizabeth. Opinions?

Meh.

Camerus

R-M as Henry VIII was definitely one of oddest casting decisions I can think of.   Maybe the point was to show potential viewers the show was to take a "to hell with history" approach?   :hmm:

Admiral Yi

I imagine they were trying to grab the soap opera audience.  Women watch TV too.

Queequeg

Yeah but I bet Cavill has inspired more fantasies than Myers.

Eddie Teach

Cavill was an unknown when the show began, making him a riskier casting choice. Plus he seems too nice. It would take a lot of range to be a convincing Henry VIII and Superman.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: Queequeg on November 04, 2013, 07:48:43 PM
Yeah but I bet Cavill has inspired more fantasies than Myers.

I don't think he was particularly well known when they cast the show. He was/is certainly the more attractive of the two, but a glance at wiki doesn't show any big credits to his name.