News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Tudors

Started by Queequeg, November 01, 2013, 10:58:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

Also, Tim, that's a weird response. Rhys-Myers isn't a great actor and I think his limited range is best suited to roles where he plays trashy, hedonistic pretty people. This is hardly me cumming over Hugenot victory in France.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Eddie Teach

Cromwell was an interesting character, sure, but he lacks presence. Henry doesn't have as much as he should either. It's like watching our congressmen engage in court politics. Who wants to see that?  ;)
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 03, 2013, 10:53:03 PM
You just get way to passionate and dramatic about the most trivial of shit.

I really hope it's not a reflection of how you act in real life.

You got room to talk.  Fucking zomg-its-the-new-Michael-Bay-movie with your Assburger puppy dog bullshit.  The bullshit we had to go through with you over motherfucking King Kong.

Go find the DMZ and get mowed down by some starving commie monkeys.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 04, 2013, 12:39:33 AM

You got room to talk.  Fucking zomg-its-the-new-Michael-Bay-movie with your Assburger puppy dog bullshit.  The bullshit we had to go through with you over motherfucking King Kong.

Spellus goes well beyond me.

Plus, those that know me here, realize I don't act anything like that in real life.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

Is Henry VII in the show at all?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Camerus

This thread has a Riefenstahl tinge.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Malthus on November 01, 2013, 02:31:47 PM
Quote from: Valmy on November 01, 2013, 02:24:39 PM
Quote from: Malthus on November 01, 2013, 02:22:23 PM
It just felt miscast. King Henry was always a huge guy, allegedly good-looking when young, a total ogre when older. He was never a pretty-boy type.  :lol:

He was hardly the only one.  One you think the entire English Aristocracy was selected by a kingdom wide 'Hot or Not' vote rather than by birth.

True, but Henry's ogre-esque appearance (as well as temper) later in life is sorta central to the plot here.  ;)
Yeah, but I think casting someone pretty makes the point of how he physically (and morally) degenerates. Especially because the public image of Henry is entirely fixed by his corpulent later life. Every documentary I've seen on the Tudors makes a big deal of how handsome and svelte he was as a young man because it's so against how we imagine him.
Let's bomb Russia!

Phillip V

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 04, 2013, 04:15:18 AM
Every documentary I've seen on the Tudors makes a big deal of how handsome and svelte he was as a young man because it's so against how we imagine him.

We need a show on young George Washington. It will begin with the death of his father.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 04, 2013, 01:04:36 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 04, 2013, 12:39:33 AM

Spellus goes well beyond me.

Plus, those that know me here, realize I don't act anything like that in real life.

Well could you drop it here too? :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 04, 2013, 04:15:18 AM
Quote from: Malthus on November 01, 2013, 02:31:47 PM
Quote from: Valmy on November 01, 2013, 02:24:39 PM
Quote from: Malthus on November 01, 2013, 02:22:23 PM
It just felt miscast. King Henry was always a huge guy, allegedly good-looking when young, a total ogre when older. He was never a pretty-boy type.  :lol:

He was hardly the only one.  One you think the entire English Aristocracy was selected by a kingdom wide 'Hot or Not' vote rather than by birth.

True, but Henry's ogre-esque appearance (as well as temper) later in life is sorta central to the plot here.  ;)
Yeah, but I think casting someone pretty makes the point of how he physically (and morally) degenerates. Especially because the public image of Henry is entirely fixed by his corpulent later life. Every documentary I've seen on the Tudors makes a big deal of how handsome and svelte he was as a young man because it's so against how we imagine him.

Sure, he was allegedly handsome as all hell when younger - but he was always a big, physically imposing guy: over six feet tall, and big in proportion. An athlete with a trim figure but broad-shouldered and well-muscled who beat opponents to a pulp in jousting, was first at the death in hunting, etc.

This phyiscality was what people noted about him - very positively when he was young: he looked every inch a king.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Queequeg

Rhys-Myers is pretty buff. Not, like, Guest House Patrick Swayze buff but he's not really a few pretty boy.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Admiral Yi

He's a total pretty boy.