News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

524 years ago

Started by Tamas, June 01, 2009, 09:05:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Vienna surrendered to the army of Matthias Corvinus, King of Hungary.

He and Ferdinand the 3rd had a long history of conflict. Ferdinand had a claim on the Hungarian throne (he in fact had the Holy Crown, since 1440). In the wars in Bohemia, Ferdinand supported the enemies of Matthias, and regularly attacked the western Hungarian borders while the Magyars were busy fighting the Turks. To return the favor, Matthias did not stop Ottoman raiding parties going through Croatia toward Austria.

Matthias' ultimate ambition was to become Holy Roman Emperor. The capture of Vienna was part of these plans. He adopted the title "Duke of Austria",  and moved his court to Vienna, altough the official capital remained Buda.

He removed the tariff (cargo-stopping) rights of Vienna, just like he did with several other cities along the Danube west of Buda (so Buda could have all the concentrated tariff income), but otherwise he was very lenient with the city. He immediately pulled his army out, and only replaced one city council member. He gave a 3 years long tax exemption for the wineries of the city, and financed the reconstruction of city walls. The citizens, in fact, erected a statue of him, which remained in place for almost 300 years.

The military campaign did not stop with that, next target was Wiener Neustadt, which capitulated in 1487. Matthias, however, died only 3 years later, leaving an unfulfilled ambition, and -as a result- a very endangered Hungary behind.

Norgy

Quote from: Tamas on June 01, 2009, 09:05:26 AM

The military campaign did not stop with that, next target was Wiener Neustadt, which capitulated in 1847.

Dude was patient.

Valmy

Definitely the best leader Hungary ever elected.

It just puzzles me they then decided to elect one of the worst: Ladislaus Jagiellon.  It just shows that Democracy doesn't work.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

PDH

Quote from: Norgy on June 01, 2009, 09:08:56 AM

The military campaign did not stop with that, next target was Wiener Neustadt, which capitulated in 1847.

Dude was patient.
EUIII sieges can last a long time.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Tamas

Quote from: Norgy on June 01, 2009, 09:08:56 AM

Dude was patient.

Edited :P

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

PDH

That's Romanians  :rolleyes:

Magyars are Gypsies.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

saskganesh

Quote from: Valmy on June 01, 2009, 09:09:18 AM
Definitely the best leader Hungary ever elected.

It just puzzles me they then decided to elect one of the worst: Ladislaus Jagiellon.  It just shows that Democracy doesn't work.

it just shows that "democracies" composed only of nobles who are jealous of centralised national powers does not work.
humans were created in their own image

Valmy

Quote from: saskganesh on June 01, 2009, 11:03:18 AMit just shows that "democracies" composed only of nobles who are jealous of centralised national powers does not work.

I do admit the franchise was rather limited :P

Actually wasn't something like 10% of Hungarians Nobles or something like that?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on June 01, 2009, 11:06:01 AM

I do admit the franchise was rather limited :P

Actually wasn't something like 10% of Hungarians Nobles or something like that?

The best argument against democracy is a conversation with an ordinary Hungarian noble.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Brain

Why should losers get to vote?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

saskganesh

yeah, tell us why you shouldn't be allowed to vote brain.
humans were created in their own image

The Brain

Quote from: saskganesh on June 01, 2009, 11:14:15 AM

The retarded wouldn't vote Brain.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

alfred russel

Quote from: saskganesh on June 01, 2009, 11:14:15 AM

Don't make him explain it, he has already gone through the trouble of thousands of posts to demonstrate he shouldn't vote. Or be allowed near livestock.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Norgy