News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What is the answer to the Fermi Paradox?

Started by jimmy olsen, November 04, 2013, 08:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is the answer to the Fermi Paradox?

Evolution of Life is extremely rare
3 (10.3%)
Evolution of Intelligent Life is extremely rare
8 (27.6%)
Intelligent Life destroys itself soon after it becomes able to do so
6 (20.7%)
An Ancient space faring civilization destroys new advanced species
2 (6.9%)
Interstellar travel and communication are both impossible
6 (20.7%)
Other - Please Explain
4 (13.8%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

If there are in fact many civilizations out there in the galaxy with technology to interact physically then the galaxy is pretty dangerous. Hiding seems a good strategy. I suggest we relocate to vast underground cities powered by fission.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Queequeg

Quote from: Razgovory on November 06, 2013, 05:15:01 PM
:rolleyes:
The common ancestor of pterosaurs and dinosaurs was lithe, small, fast, bipedal and agile. It wasn't a fucking tuatara. These were active animals well on the way to being completely warmblooded, if not already there.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Viking

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on November 06, 2013, 05:11:07 PM
Yep, the pterosaur line split off right before the most recent common ancestor of dinosaurs. That's why people who object to calling them 'flying dinosaurs' come off as so goddamn pedantic.

flying "dinosaur" is ok, "flying dinosaur" isn't. It's a bit like calling synapsids like gorgonopsids, dimetrodons and lystrosaurus dinosaurs. Colloquially they are, technically they are not.

edit: and spellus is right, which makes us synapsids too, in addition to being apes, monkeys, primates and mammals.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Queequeg

I wouldn't make that argument tbh. Synapsids are way different from dinosaurs.
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Viking

Quote from: Queequeg on November 06, 2013, 05:48:22 PM

Dimetrodons were always in my fancy dinosaur books when I was little. Other non-dinosaur creatures like the pterosaurs and ichthyosaurs were not dinosaurs but are colloquially lumped in with them.

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Queequeg

I probably would correct someone who called a pterosaur a flying dinosaur but that's because 1) a flying dinosaur is a bird 2) I'mnot comfortable with dinosaur meaning all big aanimals from before 65.5 MYA 3) I'm super pedantic

Queequeg

Quote from: Viking on November 06, 2013, 05:51:21 PM

Dimetrodons were always in my fancy dinosaur books when I was little. Other non-dinosaur creatures like the pterosaurs and ichthyosaurs were not dinosaurs but are colloquially lumped in with them.
I don't think the icthyosaurs were archosaurs so there's a lot of problems there. An alligator is a dinosaur more than an icthyosaur, let a lone a dimetrodon, which doesn't even come close to looking like one.

Razgovory

Quote from: Queequeg on November 06, 2013, 05:42:12 PM
The common ancestor of pterosaurs and dinosaurs was lithe, small, fast, bipedal and agile. It wasn't a fucking tuatara. These were active animals well on the way to being completely warmblooded, if not already there.

And people and snakes all have a common ancestor in some lobed fish, who was on his way to becoming bipedal, big brained and warmed blooded but people aren't snakes.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Queequeg

A gorgonopsid is a good example. It just doesn't look like a dinosaur. At all. There's maybe some vague resemblance to later pre-Dinosaur Triassic Crocodilomorph predators but one look at it's teeth and you know you're dealing with something different. By comparison the first pterosaurs and dinosaurs probably looked like shrews and bats. Obvious relationship.

garbon

Quote from: Viking on November 06, 2013, 05:51:21 PM

:yes:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: Queequeg on November 06, 2013, 06:00:39 PM
A gorgonopsid is a good example. It just doesn't look like a dinosaur. At all. There's maybe some vague resemblance to later pre-Dinosaur Triassic Crocodilomorph predators but one look at it's teeth and you know you're dealing with something different. By comparison the first pterosaurs and dinosaurs probably looked like shrews and bats. Obvious relationship.

I'm trying to see what your point is here, but you are missing me here.

Queequeg

Quote from: Razgovory on November 06, 2013, 05:58:00 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on November 06, 2013, 05:42:12 PM

And people and snakes all have a common ancestor in some lobed fish, who was on his way to becoming bipedal, big brained and warmed blooded but people aren't snakes.
I love you Raz but you're completely impervious to reason here. If you were to be transported to the Triassic the moment pterosaurs began to grow wing membranes you would not have the expertise to differentiate between the future Quetzalcoatlus and the future Utahraptor. Maybe one was arboreal and one was terrestrial, but it's the difference between baboons and chimps, not snakes and people. The basal pterosaur form looks like a basal dinosaur with wing flaps.

Razgovory

Simply because something looks like something else doesn't mean it is that thing.  Ichthyologists look like fish, but aren't fish.

Queequeg

Quote from: Razgovory on November 06, 2013, 06:08:05 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on November 06, 2013, 06:00:39 PM
A gorgonopsid is a good example. It just doesn't look like a or an onosaur. At all. There's maybe some vague resemblance to later pre-Dinosaur Triassic Crocodilomorph predators but one look at it's teeth and you know you're dealing with something different. By comparison the first pterosaurs and dinosaurs probably looked like shrews and bats. Obvious relationship.

I'm trying to see what your point is here, but you are missing me here.
Common sense in classification? If a neurologically complex creature had been around in the Triassic he would have called a primitive pterosaur a word related to dinosaur just like in Russian a bat is a flying mouse or an orangutang is a "forest person" in Malay.