DNA Sequencing Megathread! Neanderthals, Denisovans and other ancient DNA!

Started by jimmy olsen, November 03, 2013, 07:07:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

23andme is more focused on genetic diseases and that sort of thing. Though I understand regulators sometimes have issues with their health claims, but I don't remember the details.

Ancestry is more interested in the genealogy stuff. It will link you to people whose DNA indicates they are a close relative and so forth.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 19, 2019, 11:20:49 AM
!!!

Can those people find you?

Well yes and no.

Yes they can message you on Ancestry and you are free to ignore them.

But it is not like they are giving them your personal name or phone number or anything. Just your ancestry account :lol:

I mean if you are on Ancestry you are interested in collaboration for genealogy research.

I am sure you can opt out if that makes you paranoid or something.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Sheilbh

It doesn't make me paranoid, I just feel like there's a real risk it's an organ harvesting Yellow Pages.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 19, 2019, 11:30:41 AM
It doesn't make me paranoid, I just feel like there's a real risk it's an organ harvesting Yellow Pages.

Yeah...nothing paranoid about that :P

But no they cannot find you IRL just on the family research site for collaboration.

Malthus

My whole family has fallen down this rabbit hole.

All they talk about is the random distant relations they discovered through linking up over DNA profiles, and genealogical history.

Last time I went over to visit my parents, they had me looking over a self-published manuscript detailing family grave sites in Nova Scotia (an amazing number of them were of the sort 'some random unidentified bodies washed ashore, and were kindly buried in the McGregor family plot as an act of Christian charity'. This seems to have happened - a lot ... ). Cheerful!  :lol:

Edit: another very common one was 'Nineteenth century mother and her five children all died of the fever within a few days of each other'.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Yeah there are often forgotten children from your family you discover when you look at the gravesites.

Sheilbh

Might get this for my dad for Christmas. I think he'd love it.

Although likely results, are:
98.7% Irish
1.3% Spanish from some poor bugger from the Armada who washed up in County Cork :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on November 19, 2019, 11:37:06 AM
Yeah there are often forgotten children from your family you discover when you look at the gravesites.

Those who visit nineteenth century gravesites rarely become anti-vaxers.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on November 19, 2019, 11:42:05 AM
Quote from: Valmy on November 19, 2019, 11:37:06 AM

Those who visit nineteenth century gravesites rarely become anti-vaxers.  :lol:

Natural immunity is superior to big pharma! Sure there might be a few casualties...

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 19, 2019, 11:40:47 AM
Might get this for my dad for Christmas. I think he'd love it.

Although likely results, are:
98.7% Irish
1.3% Spanish from some poor bugger from the Armada who washed up in County Cork :lol:

You never know. Vikings and Scots and Normans and others were always showing up in Ireland.

Razgovory

One my cousins went through actual records to find out stuff about our family.  He discovered that we have family in Swabia.  He even found a family mausoleum.  Most of the names shown death dates between 1939-1945.  His father, my uncle did do the DNA test thing.  Significant Jewish ancestor.  I wonder if those two facts are related.  What I do know is that the ones that fled after the failed revolutions in 1848 did much better than those who stayed.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on November 19, 2019, 11:32:43 AM
My whole family has fallen down this rabbit hole.

All they talk about is the random distant relations they discovered through linking up over DNA profiles, and genealogical history.

Last time I went over to visit my parents, they had me looking over a self-published manuscript detailing family grave sites in Nova Scotia (an amazing number of them were of the sort 'some random unidentified bodies washed ashore, and were kindly buried in the McGregor family plot as an act of Christian charity'. This seems to have happened - a lot ... ). Cheerful!  :lol:

Edit: another very common one was 'Nineteenth century mother and her five children all died of the fever within a few days of each other'.
The waters around Nova Scotia and Magdelen Islands in the gulf are reputed to be treacherous - well, for 18th-19th century travelers.  Some high ground or such, moving underwater sand dunes and such.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.