DNA Sequencing Megathread! Neanderthals, Denisovans and other ancient DNA!

Started by jimmy olsen, November 03, 2013, 07:07:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Threviel on April 02, 2019, 02:13:37 AM
Quote from: viper37 on April 01, 2019, 11:30:07 AM
Quote from: Tamas on April 01, 2019, 09:56:39 AM
:rolleyes:

You are the nation who detest ID cards but freely give away their full genetic information to random strangers to freely abuse in the future.

I agree with your point.  I believe one of these sites has been used by authorities to catch a criminal, many, many years after the fact.

While this is, in theory, good, it also reveals that you lose complete control over what happens with your DNA once it's given.  Who knows how it can be used in the future?

We've had a few cases here where criminals got caught when relatives of theirs joined these things. A new law was passed and currently a lot of cold cases get tested. I don't necessarily think it's a negative when brutal child rapists and murderers get caught which was the latest thing. But of course, in the wrong hands this technology could be horrible.

This was how they caught the Golden State Killer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_State_Killer

QuoteIdentification of DeAngelo had begun four months earlier when officials, led by detective Paul Holes, uploaded the killer's DNA profile from a Ventura County rape kit[154][155] to the personal genomics website GEDmatch.[156] The website identified 10 to 20 distant relatives of the Golden State Killer (sharing the same great-great-great grandparents), from whom a team of five investigators working with genealogist Barbara Rae-Venter[157] constructed a large family tree. They identified two suspects in the case (one of whom was ruled out by a relative's DNA test), leaving DeAngelo the main suspect.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Josquius

Oh. And for the record I have no issue with ID cards. They're normal. Blame the liberal right wing media with their knee jerk "OMG THE NAZIS SAID PAPERS PLEASE"
██████
██████
██████

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 01, 2019, 12:07:08 PM
I am used to giving up my personal data through social media, google, facebook etc., what is the big deal with giving my DNA, says the credulous citizen.
they will secretly engineer a super human by combining Ed Anger's, Caliga's and my DNA.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on April 02, 2019, 01:04:45 PM
I am used to giving up my personal data through social media, google, facebook etc., what is the big deal with giving my DNA, says the credulous citizen.
they will secretly engineer a super human by combining Ed Anger's, Caliga's and my DNA.

They will create a grumpy dude obsessed with big breasts and with an undying hatred of Montreal?  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on April 02, 2019, 01:08:34 PM
Quote from: viper37 on April 02, 2019, 01:04:45 PM

They will create a grumpy dude obsessed with big breasts and with an undying hatred of Montreal?  :P
YES!  That kind of superhuman is what we need to save the world, one pair of big breasts at a time!
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

Hey, you wanna keep your full name visible on a publically available forum?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

katmai

Quote from: Syt on November 16, 2019, 04:06:55 AM
Yes as it is out in world already, but thanks Syt.

katmai

Syt

Quote from: katmai on November 16, 2019, 05:00:31 AM

Ok, Lionel. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

katmai

Quote from: Syt on November 16, 2019, 05:11:48 AM
Quote from: katmai on November 16, 2019, 05:00:31 AM

Ok, Lionel. :P
I love my middle name, it's my pappy and my grandpappy's name to boot  :outback:

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Admiral Yi

What's with the apparent typo nombre de familia?  Some Canary Islands thingy?