DNA Sequencing Megathread! Neanderthals, Denisovans and other ancient DNA!

Started by jimmy olsen, November 03, 2013, 07:07:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Quote from: Tamas on April 01, 2019, 09:56:39 AM
:rolleyes:

You are the nation who detest ID cards but freely give away their full genetic information to random strangers to freely abuse in the future.

As long as it's not the government!
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

You are the nation who detest ID cards but freely give away their full genetic information to random strangers to freely abuse in the future.

We hate ID cards so much we made them a requirement to vote, get a job, or rent a place to live!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tamas

Quote from: The Brain on April 01, 2019, 10:46:52 AM
Have you ever touched a penny?

Yeah I don't think they can link random samples found on stuff to names and addresses.

viper37

I agree with your point.  I believe one of these sites has been used by authorities to catch a criminal, many, many years after the fact.

While this is, in theory, good, it also reveals that you lose complete control over what happens with your DNA once it's given.  Who knows how it can be used in the future?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josquius

If somebody wants to bioengineer a disease to specificly target me then fair play to them
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Tyr on April 01, 2019, 11:53:33 AM
If somebody wants to bioengineer a disease to specificly target me then fair play to them

There can be ALL kinds of possible uses of your DNA in the not so distant future. IDing you, or for example later IDing inconvenient facts about your genetic makeup and the traits you have. Not only you, but your offspring as well.

It just feels somewhat unwise.

crazy canuck

I am used to giving up my personal data through social media, google, facebook etc., what is the big deal with giving my DNA, says the credulous citizen.

Josquius

If/when DNA sequencing becomes that powerful and useful I think it'll be standard that everyone gets it done and logged in the nhs database anyway.

If a company does try to use the amount of data it has collected for evil means then the number of people affected should prompt a government crack down and a ruling that DNA data can only be used for the originally given purpose or something.
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Quote from: Tamas on April 01, 2019, 11:57:56 AM
Quote from: Tyr on April 01, 2019, 11:53:33 AM

There can be ALL kinds of possible uses of your DNA in the not so distant future. IDing you, or for example later IDing inconvenient facts about your genetic makeup and the traits you have. Not only you, but your offspring as well.

It just feels somewhat unwise.

I am looking forward to our futuristic caste system based on DNA traits.

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on April 01, 2019, 12:08:16 PM
If/when DNA sequencing becomes that powerful and useful I think it'll be standard that everyone gets it done and logged in the nhs database anyway.

If a company does try to use the amount of data it has collected for evil means then the number of people affected should prompt a government crack down and a ruling that DNA data can only be used for the originally given purpose or something.

I think at least a key thing is customers are paying so pharma can have access to their DNA for drug creation.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on April 01, 2019, 12:45:05 PM

I think at least a key thing is customers are paying so pharma can have access to their DNA for drug creation.

Well no, they are paying for whatever service the DNA company is providing.

But if it is also aiding with scientific research that is beneficial to humanity I might be more motivated to do it myself.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on April 01, 2019, 12:49:20 PM
Quote from: garbon on April 01, 2019, 12:45:05 PM

Well no, they are paying for whatever service the DNA company is providing.

Which is essentially squat.

Quote from: Valmy on April 01, 2019, 12:49:20 PM
But if it is also aiding with scientific research that is beneficial to humanity I might be more motivated to do it myself.

And the drug companies should pay fair market value for the privilege.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on April 01, 2019, 12:53:38 PM
Which is essentially squat.

I thought things like 23andme were supposed to give you important medical information and so forth?

QuoteAnd the drug companies should pay fair market value for the privilege.

What is the fair market value of my saliva? :hmm:

Threviel

Quote from: viper37 on April 01, 2019, 11:30:07 AM

I agree with your point.  I believe one of these sites has been used by authorities to catch a criminal, many, many years after the fact.

While this is, in theory, good, it also reveals that you lose complete control over what happens with your DNA once it's given.  Who knows how it can be used in the future?

We've had a few cases here where criminals got caught when relatives of theirs joined these things. A new law was passed and currently a lot of cold cases get tested. I don't necessarily think it's a negative when brutal child rapists and murderers get caught which was the latest thing. But of course, in the wrong hands this technology could be horrible.