DNA Sequencing Megathread! Neanderthals, Denisovans and other ancient DNA!

Started by jimmy olsen, November 03, 2013, 07:07:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on August 23, 2018, 09:18:48 AM
So Africans are the pure-breds and the rest of us are all mutts :hmm:

That's been known for a while.  I remember coming across some Afrocentrist guy on Youtube gloating over that after it became known.  Thing is, the dude was kind of light skinned himself.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

Quote from: derspiess on August 23, 2018, 10:01:59 AM

That's been known for a while.  I remember coming across some Afrocentrist guy on Youtube gloating over that after it became known.  Thing is, the dude was kind of light skinned himself.

its cute when people think inbreeding is a sign of superiority.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Quote from: Tyr on August 23, 2018, 10:23:46 AM
Quote from: derspiess on August 23, 2018, 10:01:59 AM

its cute when people think inbreeding is a sign of superiority.

Colonels! Smite him! :angry:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

jimmy olsen

Well I think the notion that Euros are all part Neanderthals has been around awhile at least. But it looks like a couple of our other hominid cousins got in on that action.

No, DNA analysis of modern African populations make it clear that there was introgression between deeply diverged African populations, but it is unlikely we'll find direct evidence of it since DNA doesn't preserve well in those environments.

Certainly the fossil record in Africa is extremely diverse.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Josquius

After months it seems My Heritage finally processed my 23 and Me results.

It looks rather different.
My Japanese fluke is gone :(
I get:

English people (aww. No divisions :( )
59.1%
Irish, Scot and Welsh  (as one category? huh?)
20.8%
Scandinavian
8.6%
Finnish (blimey)
3.4%
Eastern Europeans (...well....beats French)
8.1%

Curious to see something Eastern in there....Nothing known from that direction in family history.
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Byzantine refugees  :P

Quote(...well....beats French)

That was already covered by the English part :frog:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

dps

You've got Scandinavian ancestors.  Those Vikings went just about everywhere, so something from eastern Europe isn't really that unlikely.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Razgovory

Quote from: 11B4V on September 21, 2018, 01:35:59 PM
Quote'Holy Grail' fossil mystery cracked – 558 million-year-old fat reveals earliest known animal

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2018/09/21/holy-grail-fossil-mystery-cracked-558-million-year-old-fat-reveals-earliest-known-animal.html

Nice try, but this is a DNA sequencing megathread, NOT the cholesteroids detection megathread. :rolleyes:
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

crazy canuck

Interesting to compare and contrast the Fox and CNN writing styles and vocabulary.

The Fox news site:

QuoteIt might not have been Indiana Jones who found it, but the "Holy Grail" (of fossils) has been discovered.

CNN

QuoteThe oldest known animal in the geological record has been identified, in a discovery that scientists are calling "the Holy Grail of palaeontology."

I also note the CNN writer used the correct spelling of palaeontology :P

derspiess

So my Ancestry DNA results have been updated to:

England, Wales & Northwestern Europe - 76%
Ireland and Scotland - 23%
Finland :huh: - 1%

They took away that puzzling 5% Iberian and those random "low confidence regions".

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Caliga

Mine were updated a while back and I lost all that weird Mediterranean shit too.  Now I've just got English, Irish/Scottish, and German, basically.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on November 08, 2018, 10:44:23 AM
Finland :huh: - 1%

Finno-Ugric? That would be odd. Nordic I would get considering all the pillaging and settling and breeding they did in Britain.

Tamas

This whole thing is entirely silly. It doesn't sound accurate at all, you have exactly zero way of knowing whether they just make shit up, and now some people have your DNA sample.