DNA Sequencing Megathread! Neanderthals, Denisovans and other ancient DNA!

Started by jimmy olsen, November 03, 2013, 07:07:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: derspiess on June 08, 2017, 08:44:56 AM
Valmy will mock me for this (OMG Charlemagne) but I was able to trace a line back to the viking Rollo.  Also through that same branch traced to dukes of Brittany with really weird names.  Supposedly there's a way to trace back to William the Conquerer but I haven't found it yet.
well, William is a descendant of Rollo.  Rollo had a daughter and a son, Gerloc and William Longsword.  Gerloc married to the duc of Aquitaine (and also count of Poitou), and one of their children took the Duchy and the daughter took the French king as husband, so if your ancestors were still in Normandy later, we can exclude that branch.

In turn, William had only one son before being killed, Richard.

And this is where the fun begins, as he was... prollific:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_I_of_Normandy
13 children to trace.  Have fun! :P

The line goes from: Rollo - William - Richard I - Richard II - Robert I (or II, but not the archbishop) - William the Conqueror.

Since William the Conqueror was an illegitimate son, you have to be related on the paternal side.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

derspiess

Quote from: viper37 on June 09, 2017, 09:13:24 AM
Quote from: derspiess on June 08, 2017, 08:44:56 AM
Valmy will mock me for this (OMG Charlemagne) but I was able to trace a line back to the viking Rollo.  Also through that same branch traced to dukes of Brittany with really weird names.  Supposedly there's a way to trace back to William the Conquerer but I haven't found it yet.
well, William is a descendant of Rollo.  Rollo had a daughter and a son, Gerloc and William Longsword.  Gerloc married to the duc of Aquitaine (and also count of Poitou), and one of their children took the Duchy and the daughter took the French king as husband, so if your ancestors were still in Normandy later, we can exclude that branch.

In turn, William had only one son before being killed, Richard.

And this is where the fun begins, as he was... prollific:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_I_of_Normandy
13 children to trace.  Have fun! :P

The line goes from: Rollo - William - Richard I - Richard II - Robert I (or II, but not the archbishop) - William the Conqueror.

Since William the Conqueror was an illegitimate son, you have to be related on the paternal side.

I'm trying to find the direct line to William the Conqueror.  Supposedly it's in there somewhere.  A brief write-up on my 15th great grandmother (Catherine de Montfort, 1441-1498) claims that she is descended from the Plantagenets, Dukes of Normandy, "Capetian and Carolingian Kings and Queens", Scottish Kings and many others. 

So far I have found Hawise of Normandy, who descended from Richard I - William - Rollo.  Which is close.

The most entertaining (and also annoying) discovery so far was when I had to go back through five generations of alternating Alan fitz Brians/Brian fitz Alans. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

I am descended from William and Rollo through my 17th Great Grandfather Henry Tudor, or Papa Hank as we call him in the family.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HVC

you're all the kids of a some stable boy or butler who nailed the queen/duchess somewhere along the line. Just like prince Harry :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

Quote from: HVC on June 09, 2017, 11:44:13 AM
you're all the kids of a some stable boy or butler who nailed the queen/duchess somewhere along the line. Just like prince Harry :P

Actually DNA testing indicates this was shockingly rare. Women were more loyal than all you misogynistic pigs presumed.

However since I am descended through royal bastards (as was Henry Tudor himself I think) this is already taken into account :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

HVC

Quote from: Valmy on June 09, 2017, 11:49:27 AM

Actually DNA testing indicates this was shockingly rare. Women were more loyal than all you misogynistic pigs presumed.

However since I am descended through royal bastards (as was Henry Tudor himself I think) this is already taken into account :P

:unsure: I just wanted to call derspiess a bastard.

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Valmy

Quote from: HVC on June 09, 2017, 11:52:24 AM

Chill :P I mean he is looking for links to William the Bastard after all.

False paternity was a source of angst for genealogists for centuries and it all turned out to be just not a thing for the most part. Or at least far less of a thing than people suspected.

HVC

yeah, it's like 3% or something like that. Which is pretty good given the percentage of how many people actually cheat.

viper37

It indicates two possible things, non mutually exclusive:
1) Male infidelity was more common, with unmarried women, rather than the married women kept under lock at home.
2) Women knew of birth control and abortion even if frowned upon.

derspiess

That's practically a compliment around here :hug:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

HVC

Quote from: derspiess on June 09, 2017, 12:57:32 PM

That's practically a compliment around here :hug:

:D
Though, think of your poor genes. From proud French and English nobility to mixing with an Argentinian. an Argentinian!

alfred russel

Quote from: HVC on June 09, 2017, 01:00:23 PM

:D
Though, think of your poor genes. From proud French and English nobility to mixing with an Argentinian. an Argentinian!

His Norman ancestors conquering England would have never thought of such a thing!
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on June 09, 2017, 12:26:48 PM
It indicates two possible things, non mutually exclusive:
1) Male infidelity was more common, with unmarried women, rather than the married women kept under lock at home.
2) Women knew of birth control and abortion even if frowned upon.

Keep in mind that false paternity and infidelity are not the same. This simply means women lied less than was originally suspected.